USB HUB Controller?

Johanna

Hi
I am unsure of what to make of the error message that I am getting when
I plug my iPod into my home-built Shuttle.
The message says something along the lines of "This device can perform
faster if you plug it into a USB 2 port".
I actually thought my machine had USB 2. The error is also talking about
a USB controller - I am not familiar with this.
Please can you help out - do I need new drivers or another piece of
hardware?
The spec of my machine is as follows:

Shuttle PC:
Motherboard: FB61
CPU: Intel 2.4 Ghz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
RAM: 1GB (2x512)

Hope somebody can help!
Johanna

wind9rider@yahoo.com

Hi Johanna,

To check if you are running USB1 or USB2:
Enter Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager)
Click on USB Controllers at the bottom
It should open up into a tree structure, and toward the top should
reference ENHANCED USB controller, hub, or words to that effect. The
work Enhanced signifies USB2. If you cannot find that word, you are
running USB1.

If you are running XP, you can get USB2 by downloading and installing
Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft Website.

Johanna

Hi and thanks for helping me out with this!
I followed your advice and there is no mentioning in Device manager of
ENHANCED USB Controller...
But I definitely have XP sp 2 installed!
How strange! I am quite sure that USB 2 was enabled previously. Because
I don't know how it works I am not able to troublshoot it.

I would be really grateful for some advice on how to solve this as I was
planning to by a fast storage device for my multimedia files. Without
USB 2 or firewire it would be too slow I think.
My email address is <my first name>@ homechoice.co.uk
All the best
Johanna

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi Johanna,
>
> To check if you are running USB1 or USB2:
> Enter Device Manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager)
> Click on USB Controllers at the bottom
> It should open up into a tree structure, and toward the top should
> reference ENHANCED USB controller, hub, or words to that effect. The
> work Enhanced signifies USB2. If you cannot find that word, you are
> running USB1.
>
> If you are running XP, you can get USB2 by downloading and installing
> Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft Website.

Johanna

Thanks for helping me earlier!
I followed your advice and here is what I found so far..

In Device Manager, the PC does NOT list Enhanced USB (USB 2)
However I know for sure that the motherboard supports it!
I checked the Chipset settings in the Setup menu at startup. USB 2 is
enabled!

I did some research online and the recurring advice seemed to be to
install WinXP SP 2.
But I already have that!
The "friendly" wizard won't let me re-install it since I already have
the latest version.
There is no option to uninstall sp2 in "Add/Remove Programs....

Not sure what to do next! Can you help?

All the best
Jo

Chris

There is a newsgroup: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle

But this might help:
In the BIOS setup (DEL key pressed as the machine starts) there is an option
on my shuttle to set up how the USB works: USB1; USB2 or both. This
might be what's wrong.

HTH

"Johanna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43c41a49$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am unsure of what to make of the error message that I am getting when I
> plug my iPod into my home-built Shuttle.
> The message says something along the lines of "This device can perform
> faster if you plug it into a USB 2 port".
> I actually thought my machine had USB 2. The error is also talking about a
> USB controller - I am not familiar with this.
> Please can you help out - do I need new drivers or another piece of
> hardware?
> The spec of my machine is as follows:
>
> Shuttle PC:
> Motherboard: FB61
> CPU: Intel 2.4 Ghz
> Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
> RAM: 1GB (2x512)
>
> Hope somebody can help!
> Johanna

wind9rider@yahoo.com

The only thing that I can think of is to make sure auto-update is
enabled in your XP. If not, check for any updates you can get from
Microsoft, that might do it. Other than that I don't have a clue.

Multiple USB 1.1 devices in USB 2 Hub speed ? Anton Erasmus Embedded 13 07-17-2008 09:58 PM
USB hub vs. USB PCI card Journey Dell 9 03-09-2007 10:38 PM
Recommendation on USB hub IC for USB memory stick Ron Embedded 3 02-08-2005 10:44 PM
Hi-speed USB device plugged into non-hi-speed USB hub DmsTech MSI 4 08-30-2004 09:48 PM
P4B533-E / WinXPSP1 / USB 2.0 'non-hi-speed usb hub' problem - Please Help! Quixotic1 Asus 8 01-27-2004 06:39 AM