USB ports won't work

RB

Hello,
I have an ASUS P4C800-E mother board with 6 USB ports. All have been working
for 6 months without problem.

I recently converted my ADSL modem network from USB interface to network
cable. I removed the USB 'hot' I think. (not sure).
Since then all USB ports do not work. Steps taken so far:
1. Re installed all USB drivers / controllers / hubs etc under device
manager. (Human Interface Devices does not display)

2. Went through routine of loading drivers for new hardware. (USB
printer/scanner/mouse etc)

3. Finally did a complete clean install of Winows XP Pro.

4. Computer stil does not recognise USB hardware.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

Rick

DaveW

It sounds like when you reomoved the USB lead "hot" you shorted out the USB
controller on the motherboard. Time for a new motherboard, if that's so.

--
DaveW

"RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43048cee$0$22637$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I have an ASUS P4C800-E mother board with 6 USB ports. All have been
> working for 6 months without problem.
>
> I recently converted my ADSL modem network from USB interface to network
> cable. I removed the USB 'hot' I think. (not sure).
> Since then all USB ports do not work. Steps taken so far:
> 1. Re installed all USB drivers / controllers / hubs etc under device
> manager. (Human Interface Devices does not display)
>
> 2. Went through routine of loading drivers for new hardware. (USB
> printer/scanner/mouse etc)
>
> 3. Finally did a complete clean install of Winows XP Pro.
>
> 4. Computer stil does not recognise USB hardware.
>
> Any ideas on what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
>
> Rick

RB

Thank Dave
Does not sound good. Pity because everything else works fine on this board.
Rick

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds like when you reomoved the USB lead "hot" you shorted out the
> USB controller on the motherboard. Time for a new motherboard, if that's
> so.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43048cee$0$22637$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>> I have an ASUS P4C800-E mother board with 6 USB ports. All have been
>> working for 6 months without problem.
>>
>> I recently converted my ADSL modem network from USB interface to network
>> cable. I removed the USB 'hot' I think. (not sure).
>> Since then all USB ports do not work. Steps taken so far:
>> 1. Re installed all USB drivers / controllers / hubs etc under device
>> manager. (Human Interface Devices does not display)
>>
>> 2. Went through routine of loading drivers for new hardware. (USB
>> printer/scanner/mouse etc)
>>
>> 3. Finally did a complete clean install of Winows XP Pro.
>>
>> 4. Computer stil does not recognise USB hardware.
>>
>> Any ideas on what the problem is and how it can be fixed?
>>
>> Rick

Mike Walsh

Keep the motherboard. Get a PCI card with USB ports.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

full of angry pills

Well at least Rick is the one responsible, not that it's any comfort.

I recently purchased a Topfield Digital TV PVR (nice unit) and intended to
burn
some DVDs of the shows I had recorded. When I plugged it into my Medion
computer I found that doesn't support USB 2.0 even though on the box that it
came in it clearly says USB 2.0 X 5.

When I checked the the FAQs in the service section of Medion's Aussie
website http://www.medion.com/au/ it became obvious that its a known problem
and what's more they blame the makers of the peripherals.

When you visit their Australian website this is bullshit you will read as
their 'solution' to the problem.

"Solution: It is possible for incompatibilities to arise under certain
circumstances, if external USB 2.0 devices (scanner, printer, etc.) are
connected to the Titanium 8000 Medion PC (System 1100.x). These will concern
an incompatibility between the SIS chip set used on the motherboard and the
Genesys chip used in some USB 2.0 devices. The Genesys chip is mainly
responsible for controlling the data transmission via USB 2.0. This task is
taken over by the SIS chip on the MD5000 Vers.1.0 motherboard used by us.
This incompatibility can be removed by means of suitable drivers on the part
of the providers of scanners and printers (Canon, HP, Epson, etc.).

There is the possibility of switching the USB mode used from USB 2.0 to USB
1.1 in the BIOS in the case of our computers, if no updated drivers are
available. An error-free use of your device with the set efficiency should
be possible through this."

What a cop out!
Looks like I'll have to install a card too Rick!

Cheers- Graeme

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

front usb ports wont work fig Dell 4 12-11-2006 08:46 PM
USB Ports Not Work after XP Upgrade - Presario 5140 Vortex150 Compaq 4 11-10-2005 04:32 PM
AN8 USB Ports 3&4 don't work BW Abit 2 09-07-2005 12:41 PM
CUSL2 USB ports don't work davidrt@fuse.net Asus 2 03-14-2005 01:11 AM
USB port adapter -> Multi USB ports existing ? Extending number of USB ports possible ? Thomas Jerkins PC Hardware 0 12-14-2003 10:17 AM