USB riser for VA-503+???

Paul Cisterino

Can anybody tell me where I can get a USB riser card for the VA-503+? I
mean a riser card that fits into the 2x5 header next to COM1 & COM2, not
a PCI card.
Please and thank you.

Robert Akins

Don't worry about trying to get the FIC USB "riser card" as depicted in the
manual, or wherever I saw that picture. You can use a generic Belkin USB
case bracket you can get at Fry's or CompUSA for $7-$10. Make sure you pay
attention to the pinout. Pins 1&6 are Red. There's an extra set of black
wires, just ignore them (on the plug), it'll work just fine. However, the
onboard VIA USB controller is not a very good implementation, many people
have some kind of problem with them. If you do, remove the devices in
Device Manager and go into BIOS and disable onboard USB, then buy a PCI USB
card.
Robert
"Paul Cisterino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anybody tell me where I can get a USB riser card for the VA-503+? I
> mean a riser card that fits into the 2x5 header next to COM1 & COM2, not
> a PCI card.
> Please and thank you.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Kyle Brant

Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other higher
bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else, maybe
xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any problems.
In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset, but
others have and I concede those problems do exist.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Robert Akins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Zpk_a.4501$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Don't worry about trying to get the FIC USB "riser card" as depicted
in the
| manual, or wherever I saw that picture. You can use a generic
Belkin USB
| case bracket you can get at Fry's or CompUSA for $7-$10. Make sure
you pay
| attention to the pinout. Pins 1&6 are Red. There's an extra set of
black
| wires, just ignore them (on the plug), it'll work just fine.
However, the
| onboard VIA USB controller is not a very good implementation, many
people
| have some kind of problem with them. If you do, remove the devices
in
| Device Manager and go into BIOS and disable onboard USB, then buy a
PCI USB
| card.
| Robert
| "Paul Cisterino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Can anybody tell me where I can get a USB riser card for the
VA-503+? I
| > mean a riser card that fits into the 2x5 header next to COM1 &
COM2, not
| > a PCI card.
| > Please and thank you.

| > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
| > -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Roger Hunt

In article <bhclc8$101pe6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other higher
>bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
>bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
>fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else, maybe
>xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any problems.
>In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset, but
>others have and I concede those problems do exist.

For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on my
503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.

What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into installing
onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
would make life a lot easier here.
Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for the
OS version ...
Any ideas?
--
Roger Hunt

Kyle Brant

"Roger Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zlTfVIAN7eO$(E-Mail Removed)...
| In article <bhclc8$101pe6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
| <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
| >Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other
higher
| >bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
| >bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
| >fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else,
maybe
| >xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any
problems.
| >In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset,
but
| >others have and I concede those problems do exist.
| >
| For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on
my
| 503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.
|
| What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into
installing
| onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
| would make life a lot easier here.
| Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for
the
| OS version ...
| Any ideas?
| --
| Roger Hunt

It's quite simple, an API software call to the OS reports back the OS
version. There is no easy way to "fool" the installer. One would
have to write a program that "hooks" that API call and reports back
bogus OS version info.
--
Best regards,
Kyle
tired of spam, no email address

Roger Hunt

In article <bhdmg8$10t56p$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>| For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on
>my
>| 503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.
>|
>| What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into
>installing
>| onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
>| would make life a lot easier here.
>| Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for
>the
>| OS version ...
>| Any ideas?
>
>It's quite simple, an API software call to the OS reports back the OS
>version. There is no easy way to "fool" the installer. One would
>have to write a program that "hooks" that API call and reports back
>bogus OS version info.
>--

So it's not looking in the Registry but in a system core file like
Kernel32.dll? I wonder how much I can tamper with it without upsetting
other parts of the system .... (or M$, for that matter)
I'll play about with Dependency Walker and a hex editor, and Resource
Hacker and see what I can cobble together.
Very Heath-Robinsonish but I'm nowhere near able to write any prog that
could hook anything. :-)
--
Roger Hunt

Robert Akins

Roger, I admire your determination, but I fear that your quest is in vain.
Microsoft stated that the necessary changes in architecture for W95 to make
USB operate correctly would not be feasible (at least not in the interest of
their upgrade treadmill). Some USB devices would work properly under 95B
but many would not. I think it is probable that Epson tested the scanner
(or a previous model) with 95B or C and was unable to make it work properly,
so made Win98 the minimum requirement.
Robert
"Roger Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zlTfVIAN7eO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bhclc8$101pe6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Kyle Brant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >Most problems are with scanners (vague recollection) or other higher
> >bandwidth devices. If you use mouse and keyboard and other lower
> >bandwidth items with the VIA USB chip, you'll probably be OK. In
> >fact, I've used an IBM branded (actually made by someone else, maybe
> >xircon?) webcam that was USB on a VIA MVP3 USB port w/o any problems.
> >In fact, so far, I've not had a problem with the VIA USB chipset, but
> >others have and I concede those problems do exist.
> >

> For a short period of time, quite recently, I was running W98se on my
> 503+ and it coped magnificently with an Epson 2400 USB scanner.
>
> What I would like to do now is fool the Epson software into installing
> onto W95b, and check out 95b's flaky USB support. If it did work, it
> would make life a lot easier here.
> Trouble is I don't yet know where the Epson installation looks for the
> OS version ...
> Any ideas?
> --
> Roger Hunt

Roger Hunt

In article <ZrE_a.387$(E-Mail Removed)>, Robert Akins
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Roger, I admire your determination, but I fear that your quest is in vain.
>Microsoft stated that the necessary changes in architecture for W95 to make
>USB operate correctly would not be feasible (at least not in the interest of
>their upgrade treadmill). Some USB devices would work properly under 95B
>but many would not. I think it is probable that Epson tested the scanner
>(or a previous model) with 95B or C and was unable to make it work properly,
>so made Win98 the minimum requirement.
>Robert

You are right, and the bundled Photoshop Elements won't have it.
I didn't waste too much time on this one! :-)
--
Roger Hunt