USB on VA-503+/A

John Smith

What luck have people had getting the original FIC USB bracket to work with
this mobo under *W98SE*?
I have seen a few mobos advertised on e-bay recently and wondered if the
bracket was just a sales gimmick?
Are any after-market or other makes' brackets recommended?
Seems most people here have used a PCI USB card, but I noticed at least a
10% drop in 3dMark2001 using a Belkin card, so would be happy to settle for
USB 1.0
TIA
Keith

Alex Zorrilla

I have used cheap generic USB brackets on a VA-503+ with Win98 (first edition),
and also on a VA-503A with Windows 2000/XP. They use standard USB pinouts, so
most brackets you find on the market these days should work just fine.

--Alex

John Smith wrote:

> What luck have people had getting the original FIC USB bracket to work with
> this mobo under *W98SE*?
> I have seen a few mobos advertised on e-bay recently and wondered if the
> bracket was just a sales gimmick?
> Are any after-market or other makes' brackets recommended?
> Seems most people here have used a PCI USB card, but I noticed at least a
> 10% drop in 3dMark2001 using a Belkin card, so would be happy to settle for
> USB 1.0
> TIA
> Keith

Roger Hunt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alex Zorrilla <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote
>I have used cheap generic USB brackets on a VA-503+ with Win98 (first edition),
>and also on a VA-503A with Windows 2000/XP. They use standard USB pinouts, so
>most brackets you find on the market these days should work just fine.
>
>John Smith wrote:
>
>> What luck have people had getting the original FIC USB bracket to work with
>> this mobo under *W98SE*?
>> I have seen a few mobos advertised on e-bay recently and wondered if the
>> bracket was just a sales gimmick?
>> Are any after-market or other makes' brackets recommended?
>> Seems most people here have used a PCI USB card, but I noticed at least a
>> 10% drop in 3dMark2001 using a Belkin card, so would be happy to settle for
>> USB 1.0
>> TIA
>> Keith

I've used one of the generic brackets on a 503+ with 98SE and my Epson
2400 scanner - worked fine.

I trust you are aware that the 503+ uses COMM port ribbon cables with a
relatively uncommon pinout - the cause of much aggravation in the past
here.
--
Roger Hunt

Robert Akins

You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.
Robert
"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Nebc.1257$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> What luck have people had getting the original FIC USB bracket to work

with
> this mobo under *W98SE*?
> I have seen a few mobos advertised on e-bay recently and wondered if the
> bracket was just a sales gimmick?
> Are any after-market or other makes' brackets recommended?
> Seems most people here have used a PCI USB card, but I noticed at least a
> 10% drop in 3dMark2001 using a Belkin card, so would be happy to settle

for
> USB 1.0
> TIA
> Keith

Brad Clarke

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:02:11 GMT, "Robert Akins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
>>FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
>>attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
>>It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
>>USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
>>though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.

Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose interested:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=17894

Brad

Kylesb

Further, I've seen the belkin bracket at Compusa and Bestbuy, and
maybe also Circuitcity

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Brad Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:02:11 GMT, "Robert Akins"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >>You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the
original
| >>FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables
that
| >>attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the
other.
| >>It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not
necessary. The
| >>USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be
desired,
| >>though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.
|
| Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose
interested:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=17894

| Brad

A.Boretz

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:53:08 GMT, Brad Clarke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:02:11 GMT, "Robert Akins"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>You should be able to get USB 1.1 (1.0?) working with either the original
>>>FIC USB adapter or a Belkin or equivalent USB bracket with cables that
>>>attach to the USB header on the board. One works as well as the other.
>>>It's very hard to find the original FIC bracket and it's not necessary. The
>>>USB implementation on the VIA MVP3 chipset leaves much to be desired,
>>>though. Works fine with some peripherals but not others.

>Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose interested:
>http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=17894
>
>Brad

This thread inspired me to go for it and I've now successfully
installed a USB 1.1 bracket onto my 503+ (running Windows 98)
that I purchased on eBAY for about $5 (S&H included).

It works fine.
My thanks all who contributed to this discussion.

-Alex

Kylesb

Considering someone is selling these for $1 on ebay, looks like the
typical profit at many places is quite good on this item. I've seen
these for as much as $12 at retail stores. Good find!

Oh, and btw, I've had USB working nicely with 2 different brand MVP3
chipset boards now for years, no conflicts or problems to report as
yet, but I only use mice and webcam for USB.
--
Best regards,
Kyle
"A.Boretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:53:08 GMT, Brad Clarke
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| >Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose
interested:

>http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...hant_Id=&Produ

ct_Id=17894

| >Brad
|

| This thread inspired me to go for it and I've now successfully
| installed a USB 1.1 bracket onto my 503+ (running Windows 98)
| that I purchased on eBAY for about $5 (S&H included).

| It works fine.
| My thanks all who contributed to this discussion.
|
| -Alex

Robert Akins

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Robert
"A.Boretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:53:08 GMT, Brad Clarke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

original

The

> >Here's the link to the Belkin USB bracket for anyone whose interested:

>http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...d=&Product_Id=

17894