use 2nd account in a window

Mathias Kőrber

I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

Alan Baker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mathias KŒrber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
> to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
> continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

Not that I've ever heard of, no.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

David Empson

Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mathias Krber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
> > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
> > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

> Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
> It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
> clicks, but it works great. Try this:
>
> 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
> 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
> 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
> 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
> 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost
> 6. Do not close the terminal window until you no longer need the screen
> sharing session. If you do, you'll lose the session.
> 7. From the Finder menu bar, choose Go > Connect to Server.
> 8. Enter this Server address: vnc://localhost:5901
> 9. Click Connect.
> 10. When you are prompted for a username and password enter the
> credentials of the user account that you are not using. (see *** below)
> 11. When you see the Select Display dialog box, do not click Share the
> display - instead, click Connect to a virtual display (see your desktop
> and files).

This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

In Lion, it is possible to log in to the computer via Screen Sharing as
a different user from the one who is currently logged in, and get a
separate login session.

In Snow Leopard and earlier it is not. If you log in via screen sharing,
you see the screen of the current user, even if you use someone else's
credentials.

Out of curiosity, I tried JR's instructions in Snow Leopard and I ended
up with an infinitely nested view of Screen Sharing inside Screen
Sharing. It was very difficult to get back to normal as the user
interface was not responding (I could log in using ssh from my iPhone
and kill the ssh process created in step 5 above, which forcefully
terminated the screen sharing session).

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Kirly

David Empson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

Shoot! I was really excited about trying this. It would have been very
useful for me.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

David Empson

Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <jf86af$pdc$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) (Kirly)
> wrote:
>
> > David Empson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > This will only work if the computer is running Lion.

> > Shoot! I was really excited about trying this. It would have been very
> > useful for me.

> It works quite well in Lion. : )
>
> As an alternative, you can just connect from an iOS device with a VC
> client or another computer with Screen Sharing.

That also only works in Lion, of course.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1ke659o.1uifqn51x5et9xN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > It works quite well in Lion. : )
> > >
> > > As an alternative, you can just connect from an iOS device with a VC
> > > client or another computer with Screen Sharing.

> > That also only works in Lion, of course.

> Connecting to a Mac with a VNC client only works in Lion?? Since when?

also != only

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Connecting to a Mac with a VNC client only works in Lion?? Since when?

> > also != only

> What?

Oops, I missed the second only.

Anyway, it's not that VNC only works in Lion, it's that only Lion allows
you to use it with a DIFFERENT account in VNC than the one logged into
the regular display. So it doesn't matter whether you're doing it
locally or from a remove VNC or Screen Sharing client (BTW, Screen
Sharing *is* VNC).

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mathias KŒrber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
> > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
> > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

> Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
> It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
> clicks, but it works great. Try this:
>
> 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
> 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
> 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
> 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
> 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost

I get:

ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused

on (5) above. Running latest Lion.

--
Tim

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Mathias KŒrber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I know I can switch between users in OSX, but would it be possible
> > > to log into the second account (eg admin) in a window, so that I can
> > > continue using the first one while watching eg. a software update etc?

> > Yes, I've done it quite a few times, and it's useful in some situations.
> > It takes a little familiarity with the command line and some careful
> > clicks, but it works great. Try this:
> >
> > 1. Open System Preferences > Sharing.
> > 2. Turn on Remote Management (or Screen Sharing).
> > 3. Set it to allow access for both accounts in question.
> > 4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
> > 5. Enter this command: ssh -NL 5901:localhost:5900 localhost

> I get:
>
> ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
>
> on (5) above. Running latest Lion.

You have to enable Remote Login to allow SSH.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Tim Streater

In article <1ke47yq.12vij141s3gafhN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Out of curiosity, I tried JR's instructions in Snow Leopard and I ended
> up with an infinitely nested view of Screen Sharing inside Screen
> Sharing. It was very difficult to get back to normal as the user
> interface was not responding (I could log in using ssh from my iPhone
> and kill the ssh process created in step 5 above, which forcefully
> terminated the screen sharing session).

Yes, this was pretty funny. That happened in Lion also if you let it use
your own acct (a panel comes up and you get some choices). Not hard to
kill, though, in Lion.

Even when I logged in as another user, while it worked it was painfully
slow. But I prolly need more memory.

--
Tim