Use 3GB or 4GB RAM in 32 bit OS?

Daniel G.

Hi all,
I own a Dell dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM running windows XP SP 2
and also just bought a Gateway ML6720 laptop with 1 GB of RAM running
Windows Vista home premium. I believe the Dell machine as for memory
slots in the Gateway 82 memory slots. I'd like to bring both these
machines up to 4 GB of RAM but read this isn't possible in a machine
running a 32-bit OS, I read this at
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx. It said, "How much
memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of
Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and
utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit
version of your OS." My question is, can I install 2 GB in one slot
and 1 GB in the other available slut to make up the 3 GB or would I
have to install 2 GB of RAM in each available slot even though the OS
would only recognize 3 GB? I ask because a friend of mine said that
mixing RAM chip sizes really impedes the performance of a PC. Also,
some chips are labeled PC2-3200 and PC2-6400 etc. I understand these
denote RAM speeds? I'll be using Dragon Dictate heavily on both
machines and am wondering how big a difference it would make in
performance to get chips with a very high speed rating such as
PC2-6400? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

The Kat

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:17:33 -0400, Daniel G.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I own a Dell dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM running windows XP SP 2
>and also just bought a Gateway ML6720 laptop with 1 GB of RAM running
>Windows Vista home premium. I believe the Dell machine as for memory
>slots in the Gateway 82 memory slots. I'd like to bring both these
>machines up to 4 GB of RAM but read this isn't possible in a machine
>running a 32-bit OS,

IF your MB supports 4 gigs, you CAN have that much,
but Windows 32 bit won't use all 4 gigs, only about 3 gigs.

This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Ruy

Daniel G. escribió:
> Hi all,
> I own a Dell dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM running windows XP SP 2
> and also just bought a Gateway ML6720 laptop with 1 GB of RAM running
> Windows Vista home premium. I believe the Dell machine as for memory
> slots in the Gateway 82 memory slots. I'd like to bring both these
> machines up to 4 GB of RAM but read this isn't possible in a machine
> running a 32-bit OS, I read this at
> http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx. It said, "How much
> memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of
> Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and
> utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit
> version of your OS." My question is, can I install 2 GB in one slot
> and 1 GB in the other available slut to make up the 3 GB or would I
> have to install 2 GB of RAM in each available slot even though the OS
> would only recognize 3 GB? I ask because a friend of mine said that
> mixing RAM chip sizes really impedes the performance of a PC. Also,
> some chips are labeled PC2-3200 and PC2-6400 etc. I understand these
> denote RAM speeds? I'll be using Dragon Dictate heavily on both
> machines and am wondering how big a difference it would make in
> performance to get chips with a very high speed rating such as
> PC2-6400? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Ruy

Daniel G. escribió:
> Hi all,
> I own a Dell dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM running windows XP SP 2
> and also just bought a Gateway ML6720 laptop with 1 GB of RAM running
> Windows Vista home premium. I believe the Dell machine as for memory
> slots in the Gateway 82 memory slots. I'd like to bring both these
> machines up to 4 GB of RAM but read this isn't possible in a machine
> running a 32-bit OS, I read this at
> http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx. It said, "How much
> memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of
> Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and
> utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit
> version of your OS." My question is, can I install 2 GB in one slot
> and 1 GB in the other available slut to make up the 3 GB or would I
> have to install 2 GB of RAM in each available slot even though the OS
> would only recognize 3 GB? I ask because a friend of mine said that
> mixing RAM chip sizes really impedes the performance of a PC. Also,
> some chips are labeled PC2-3200 and PC2-6400 etc. I understand these
> denote RAM speeds? I'll be using Dragon Dictate heavily on both
> machines and am wondering how big a difference it would make in
> performance to get chips with a very high speed rating such as
> PC2-6400? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc The Kat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:17:33 -0400, Daniel G.
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Hi all,
>>I own a Dell dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM running windows XP SP 2
>>and also just bought a Gateway ML6720 laptop with 1 GB of RAM running
>>Windows Vista home premium. I believe the Dell machine as for memory
>>slots in the Gateway 82 memory slots. I'd like to bring both these
>>machines up to 4 GB of RAM but read this isn't possible in a machine
>>running a 32-bit OS,

> IF your MB supports 4 gigs, you CAN have that much,
> but Windows 32 bit won't use all 4 gigs, only about 3 gigs.

It is not that bad. You get around 3.7GB of 4GB with 32 bit
Windows XP (or Linux, or any other 32 bit OS). The missing
space is 1MB for the legacy space and 256MB for the
PCI graphics I/O window, and so you loose about 25% of the
last GB.

Arno

The Kat

On 24 Mar 2008 20:17:49 GMT, Arno Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is not that bad. You get around 3.7GB of 4GB with 32 bit
>Windows XP (or Linux, or any other 32 bit OS). The missing
>space is 1MB for the legacy space and 256MB for the
>PCI graphics I/O window, and so you loose about 25% of the
>last GB.

Actually, you lose about 500 megs (half the last gig).

This sig censored by the Office of Home, Land & Planet Insecurity...

Remove XYZ to email me

Yousuf Khan

Arno Wagner wrote:
>> IF your MB supports 4 gigs, you CAN have that much,
>> but Windows 32 bit won't use all 4 gigs, only about 3 gigs.

> It is not that bad. You get around 3.7GB of 4GB with 32 bit
> Windows XP (or Linux, or any other 32 bit OS). The missing
> space is 1MB for the legacy space and 256MB for the
> PCI graphics I/O window, and so you loose about 25% of the
> last GB.

XP sees 3.12GB out of my 4GB on my system.

Yousuf Khan

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:
>>> IF your MB supports 4 gigs, you CAN have that much,
>>> but Windows 32 bit won't use all 4 gigs, only about 3 gigs.

>> It is not that bad. You get around 3.7GB of 4GB with 32 bit
>> Windows XP (or Linux, or any other 32 bit OS). The missing
>> space is 1MB for the legacy space and 256MB for the
>> PCI graphics I/O window, and so you loose about 25% of the
>> last GB.

> XP sees 3.12GB out of my 4GB on my system.

Hmm. There seem to be differences.

Arno

Rat River Cemetary

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Hmm. There seem to be differences.
>
> Arno

Because it depends on your hardware configuration. My video card is
512mb so it needs 512mb of address space, a 256mb card would need 256mb
of address space. I only have 3.0GB out of 4GB available to programs.
When I did have a 256mb vid card it showed 3.25GB of ram available.

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Rat River Cemetary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Arno Wagner wrote:

>> Hmm. There seem to be differences.
>>
>> Arno

> Because it depends on your hardware configuration. My video card is
> 512mb so it needs 512mb of address space, a 256mb card would need 256mb
> of address space. I only have 3.0GB out of 4GB available to programs.
> When I did have a 256mb vid card it showed 3.25GB of ram available.

Interessting. I seem to have 3.46GB with a 640MB video card under
Linux. No idea what I have under Windows.

Arno