Using iMac (10.6.?) to transfer from PowerBook (10.4.11) to MacBookPro (10.7.1)

helenoliver1@mail.com

Hi all again

Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
to my problem.

For starters my aunt has an iMac that is running OS 10.6.?. I was
thinking that I could use this computer to transfer the files/
information from the PB to the MB P. Anyone ever do this?

HO

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
> having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
> MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
> doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
> to my problem.

migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
usb or even thunderbolt.

helenoliver1@mail.com

On Sep 24, 1:58*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
> > having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
> > MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
> > doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
> > to my problem.

> migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
> from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
> usb or even thunderbolt.

I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
time.

HO

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Thanks for everyone's replies to my last post. As stated there I was
> > > having problems transferring files from my old PowerBook to a new
> > > MacBook Pro. Turns out the Setup and Migration Assistant on the MB P
> > > doesn't work with OS 10.4.11. This got me thinking about a work around
> > > to my problem.

> > migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
> > from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
> > usb or even thunderbolt.

> I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
> trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
> really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
> time.

what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?

you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
this requires a firewire cable.

another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
probably won't).

ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.

helenoliver1@mail.com

On Sep 24, 2:40*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > migration will work just fine if you use a firewire cable or migrate
> > > from an external hard drive clone which can be connected by firewire,
> > > usb or even thunderbolt.

> > I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
> > trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
> > really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
> > time.

> what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?
>
> you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
> this requires a firewire cable.
>
> another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
> drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
> external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
> have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
> thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
> probably won't).
>
> ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.

I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
the MB P.

HO

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
> that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
> Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
> the MB P.

it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.

when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.

you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
you could use usb.

however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
you might as well get one now.

helenoliver1@mail.com

On Sep 24, 4:05*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
> > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
> > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
> > the MB P.

> it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.
>
> when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
> the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
> nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
> done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.
>
> you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
> migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
> you could use usb.
>
> however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
> you might as well get one now.

Thanks that was good know. Just saw the right one today at Staples on
clearance, so I go there shortly to get it. That will save me a step
in the process.

HO

helenoliver1@mail.com

On Sep 24, 4:05*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
> > that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
> > Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
> > the MB P.

> it will work just fine if you use a firewire cable & target disk mode.
>
> when the powerbook is in target disk mode and connected via firewire,
> the old version of migration assistant does not run and is irrelevant.
> nothing runs. the operating system isn't even booted. target mode is
> done in firmware. the powerbook becomes a big slow hard drive.
>
> you can also clone the powerbook's hard drive to an external drive and
> migrate from that, and if you don't have the necessary firewire cable,
> you could use usb.
>
> however, having a firewire cable will prove to be useful later on so
> you might as well get one now.

Thanks again

Your last message really helped. I was able to transfer everything
over to the new MB P.

For starters I created a user adim account, as the first adim account
has the same name, as one on the old BP. I then turned the 1st account
into a standard account and I deleted it. After that I was to transfer
over the user adim account from the BP.

HO

Michael Vilain

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2:40*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > I have a CAT6 ethernet cable that bought the other day when I was
> > > trying to to go directly from my PB to the MB P. I will try that, as I
> > > really don't want to buy another cable that I might only use this one
> > > time.

> > what part of 'firewire cable' was not clear?
> >
> > you need to put the old powerbook into firewire target mode to migrate.
> > this requires a firewire cable.
> >
> > another option is clone the powerbook hard drive to an external hard
> > drive using either usb or firewire. once cloned, you can connect the
> > external drive to the new macbook pro via usb or firewire (it doesn't
> > have to be the same as what you used to make the clone), or even
> > thunderbolt if the hard drive enclosure supports that (which it
> > probably won't).
> >
> > ethernet or wifi will not work, as you found out.

> I am sorry, but guess you misunderstood me. What I found out was not
> that the ethernet or wi-fi method would not work, but rather that the
> Version of Migration Assistant on the BP would not work with Lion on
> the MB P.
>
> HO

I helped a friend, who I've been helping with Macintosh issues for over
10 years, buy a new iMac this year. She asked if she should pay Apple
to do the file transfer and conversion from her old system (a 400Mhz G3)
to the iMac for $100. The only way I could see to do this was to take
the drive out of her G3, put it into a FW enclosure, and do a Migration
with that drive. Since I didn't want to cannibalize any of my FW drives
and she didn't have any, I told her to pay the $100. She was very happy
with the results and I didn't have to drive down to her house for 3 days
to get the conversion done.

So I see you have several options here:

(1) Pay the $100 to have Apple do your transfer.
(2) Pay the $12 for a FW cable to make the Powerbook look like a FW drive
(3) Get a FW enclosure or borrow one from a friend, put your old drive
in it, and do the transfer.
(4) Spend X number of hours pulling files over "by hand" using USB or
network
(5) Or live without your old files

You're trying to do (4). How's that working for you? You'll definitely
miss something, I guaran-fricken-tee you won't know until weeks or
months later, maybe after you've sold or recycled the old machine. If
you do get rid of the old machine, keep the hard drive. You never know.

You could just suck it up and do (2). It's $12. That's a meal at
Denny's. Given that you won't pop for the cable, you're going to have
to go begging amongst your friends for a FW enclosure and the expertise
to pull the hard drive from the old system. Good luck with that.

Just how much money is your time worth here? Since this is a Macbook, I
would doublely consider (1) because I don't want to risk any issues in
pulling the hard drive out since I've never done that before. May be
easy, but you never know.

Just pay the $12 for the cable and copy your files.