Using projector with Dell Inspiron 1100

Anony-mouse

Hi,

I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
data projector working with it.

We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
1100 and not the projector.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
this?

A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
LCD screen!

Thanks

_
_/ \___
Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
"Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

BigJim

are you using the dvi or the s=video connector
"Anony-mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:201020081216386789%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
> data projector working with it.
>
> We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
> wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
> quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
> projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
> someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
> 1100 and not the projector.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
> this?
>
> A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
> update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
> to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
> drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
> LCD screen!
>
> Thanks
>

> _
> _/ \___
> Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
> "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Anony-mouse

In article <gdh3re$51c$(E-Mail Removed)>, "BigJim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Anony-mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:201020081216386789%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
> > data projector working with it.
> >
> > We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
> > wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
> > quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
> > projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
> > someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
> > 1100 and not the projector.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
> > this?
> >
> > A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
> > update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
> > to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
> > drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
> > LCD screen!
> >
> > Thanks

> are you using the dvi or the s=video connector

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's either of those. It's not the S-video, it's the
other one that the manual calls "Video Connector" for external
monitors, which looks like is a standard VGA socket. I think this
laptop is too old for DVI.

_
_/ \___
Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
"Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Christopher Muto

i believe that you need to have the svideo turned on and connected when you
first power on the inspiron 1100 in order for the 1100 to recognize that
there is something attached. then, once booted, you would go into display
properties, click advance, and turn on the svideo output.
most projectors use vga for input and that would be easier to control. with
an external monitor/projector connected to the vga port you can simply
toggle the fn-f5 (the function key with the picture of a tv monitor on it or
the initials 'lcd/tv') to toggle between lcd only, lcd+external monitor,
external monitor only, and repeat...

"Anony-mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:201020081216386789%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> I trying to help someone who has a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to get a
> data projector working with it.
>
> We can plug the projector into the laptop and get it to display on a
> wall / canvas screen, but the image it displays looks very pink and
> quite blurry, as if it is missing one of the colours. Plugging the
> projector into a different laptop give a perfect image (according to
> someone else), so it's seems to be a problem with the Dell Inspiron
> 1100 and not the projector.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do to try and fix
> this?
>
> A Goolge search turns up a suggestion of downloading the Intel 845GL
> update from Dell's website, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing
> to try, and of course definitely don't want to just install "random"
> drivers that end up with a laptop that won't even display on it's own
> LCD screen!
>
> Thanks
>

> _
> _/ \___
> Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
> "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Anony-mouse

In article <gdh8f8$htj$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Christopher Muto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i believe that you need to have the svideo turned on and connected when you
> first power on the inspiron 1100 in order for the 1100 to recognize that
> there is something attached. then, once booted, you would go into display
> properties, click advance, and turn on the svideo output.
> most projectors use vga for input and that would be easier to control. with
> an external monitor/projector connected to the vga port you can simply
> toggle the fn-f5 (the function key with the picture of a tv monitor on it or
> the initials 'lcd/tv') to toggle between lcd only, lcd+external monitor,
> external monitor only, and repeat...

Thanks. I should have said which port I was using (I forgot there even
was an S-video one), but that is exactly what we're doing and through
the projector we get the pink-tinted blurry image. The laptop's own LCD
screen is fine. (

In the pre-installed Dell Help file it only says about either the
laptop screen or the external display (using the function keys). It
doesn't say you can have both.

I also should have said the laptop is running Windows XP.
_
_/ \___
Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
"Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Christopher Muto

i suggest that you look 'down the barrel' (so to speak) of each end of the
svideo cable. there are tiny pins in there that can get bent or crushed.
loose a pin and you loose a band of color like you have described. try this
suspect cable with the 'good' laptop to see if that one now also has the
same sympton... if it dosen then you know it is the cable and you need a new
one.

"Anony-mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:201020081953271499%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gdh8f8$htj$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Christopher Muto"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> i believe that you need to have the svideo turned on and connected when
>> you
>> first power on the inspiron 1100 in order for the 1100 to recognize that
>> there is something attached. then, once booted, you would go into
>> display
>> properties, click advance, and turn on the svideo output.
>> most projectors use vga for input and that would be easier to control.
>> with
>> an external monitor/projector connected to the vga port you can simply
>> toggle the fn-f5 (the function key with the picture of a tv monitor on it
>> or
>> the initials 'lcd/tv') to toggle between lcd only, lcd+external monitor,
>> external monitor only, and repeat...

> Thanks. I should have said which port I was using (I forgot there even
> was an S-video one), but that is exactly what we're doing and through
> the projector we get the pink-tinted blurry image. The laptop's own LCD
> screen is fine. (
>
> In the pre-installed Dell Help file it only says about either the
> laptop screen or the external display (using the function keys). It
> doesn't say you can have both.
>
> I also should have said the laptop is running Windows XP.
> _
> _/ \___
> Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
> "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Anony-mouse

In article <gdiaht$t3v$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Christopher Muto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i suggest that you look 'down the barrel' (so to speak) of each end of the
> svideo cable. there are tiny pins in there that can get bent or crushed.
> loose a pin and you loose a band of color like you have described. try this
> suspect cable with the 'good' laptop to see if that one now also has the
> same sympton... if it dosen then you know it is the cable and you need a new
> one.

Thanks, but I already checked this one as one of the first things to
look at. )

It's the VGA port and cable we're using and there are no bent pins
anywhere. The cable came with the projector, so it's the same one used
on the laptop that does work.

_
_/ \___
Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
"Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Christopher Muto

plug an regular monitor into the laptops vga port. it could happen, but i
highly doubt that the vga port in the laptop is bad. sounds more like a bad
cable or that the cable is simply not pressed in all the way on either the
laptop or projector end.

"Anony-mouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:211020080906138233%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gdiaht$t3v$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Christopher Muto"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> i suggest that you look 'down the barrel' (so to speak) of each end of
>> the
>> svideo cable. there are tiny pins in there that can get bent or crushed.
>> loose a pin and you loose a band of color like you have described. try
>> this
>> suspect cable with the 'good' laptop to see if that one now also has the
>> same sympton... if it dosen then you know it is the cable and you need a
>> new
>> one.

> Thanks, but I already checked this one as one of the first things to
> look at. )
>
> It's the VGA port and cable we're using and there are no bent pins
> anywhere. The cable came with the projector, so it's the same one used
> on the laptop that does work.
>
> _
> _/ \___
> Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \
> "Eek-eek-eek!" \__/_|_/_|\____/

Anony-mouse

In article <gdisc1$2dl$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Christopher Muto"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> plug an regular monitor into the laptops vga port. it could happen, but i
> highly doubt that the vga port in the laptop is bad. sounds more like a bad
> cable or that the cable is simply not pressed in all the way on either the
> laptop or projector end.

Thanks. That probably is worth trying, although she doesn't have a
separate monitor, so it would mean lugging my 19" CRT around there.
(

It possibly could be the VGA port on the inside. The Ethernet port,
which is next to the VGA port (although a little distance away) did
"suddenly" stop working a little while back, according to her. I
couldn't get that port working again, so we replaced it with a card
slot version. But it would be strange since the computer is very rarely
moved, despite being a laptop.
_
_/ \___
Anony-mouse says o_/O _/ \

Christopher Muto

take the laptop to the monitor, not the monitor to the laptop.
a bad nic port is very rare and makes me think like you that there might be
something internal going on.. the more common cause of death for a laptop
integrated nic is it being cracked resulting in it no longer holding the
network cable snug inside. did this laptop experiance a spill (contact with
liquid)?

news:221020081618250672%(E-Mail Removed)...