Using the Tablet PC as an input device for my desktop PC

fox_jjkisf@trashmail.net

Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?

I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.

Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
ask, but so far all answers point to no.

Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT

Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC and
desktopPC?

What's your scenario?

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
> and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
>
> I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
> with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
> PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
>
> Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
> software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
> ask, but so far all answers point to no.

fox_jjkisf@trashmail.net

Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
into it.

My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
the Tablet for input.

Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
> Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
> cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC and
> desktopPC?
>
> What's your scenario?
>

> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
> > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
> >
> > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
> > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
> > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
> >
> > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
> > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
> > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

Chris H.

It isn't possible in your proposed scenario. Sorry. Even remote desktop
situations are difficult because the remote machine doesn't see anything but
a "mouse" input. You might note MVP Charlie Russel's column on the Expert
Zone back in December, 2004
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...motedsktp.mspx)
the work-arounds needs to make a Remote session half-way functional. We've
harped at Microsoft for years about this issue, and they apparently aren't
interested in doing everything necessary to allow such actions natively.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
> tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
> into it.
>
> My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
> lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
> CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
> and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
> on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
> the Tablet for input.
>
> Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
>> Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
>> cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC
>> and
>> desktopPC?
>>
>> What's your scenario?
>>

>> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
>> > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
>> >
>> > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
>> > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
>> > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
>> >
>> > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
>> > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
>> > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

Josh Einstein

Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

However, there's no way that you can get the high sample rate of the
digitizer from the Tablet PC to the desktop. It won't work well for inking
on the desktop or for graphics work... just basic mouse control.

--
Josh Einstein / Tablet PC MVP
Einstein Technologies, LLC

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Because I already have a Tablet PC and I don't want to buy a graphics
> tablet when the Tablet PC has a perfectly good digitizer built right
> into it.
>
> My scenario is that I've got a really powerful desktop machine that
> lacks a graphics tablet, and a Tablet PC that lacks RAM and a powerful
> CPU. I have a 3D modeling package that makes use of pen input devices
> and their pressure-sensitivity, but is too cpu and ram-intensive to run
> on the Tablet. So I want to run the 3D package on the desktop, and use
> the Tablet for input.
>
> Weerapan Wilairat - MSFT wrote:
>> Why do you want to do this when you can buy external digitizer for a lot
>> cheaper, and you don't have to worry about connectivity btw your TabletPC
>> and
>> desktopPC?
>>
>> What's your scenario?
>>

>> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible, in any way, to connect my Tablet PC to my desktop PC,
>> > and then use my Tablet as an input device for my desktop?
>> >
>> > I'm not talking about RDP. I'm talking about full pen functionality
>> > with pressure-sensitivity and everything. Ideally, I'd like my desktop
>> > PC to recognize the tablet as though it were any other graphics tablet.
>> >
>> > Is such a thing possible? In any way at all, via any combination of
>> > software and/or hardware tweaks? It seems like such a small thing to
>> > ask, but so far all answers point to no.

Rainald Taesler

Josh Einstein <(E-Mail Removed)> shared these words of wisdom:

> Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

Could not find it, neither with "ShareKMC", nor with the author :-(
:-(

Would you have any more details?

Rainald

Josh Einstein

http://www.tabletpcpost.com/modules....title=ShareKMC

--
Josh Einstein / Tablet PC MVP
Einstein Technologies, LLC
Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 3.0 Now Available
Unleash the potential of Outlook on your Tablet PC, Origami, or UMPC.
Try it for 15 days - http://www.tabletoutlook.com/Go.ashx?id=ng

"Rainald Taesler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Josh Einstein <(E-Mail Removed)> shared these words of wisdom:
>
>> Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

> Could not find it, neither with "ShareKMC", nor with the author :-( :-(
>
> Would you have any more details?
>
> Rainald

Rainald Taesler

Josh Einstein <(E-Mail Removed)> shared these words of wisdom:

>>> Check out ShareKMC from Loren Heiny on www.tabletpcpost.com

>> Could not find it, neither with "ShareKMC", nor with the author :-(
>> :-( Would you have any more details?
>>

> http://www.tabletpcpost.com/modules....title=ShareKMC

Thanks a lot, Josh!

Rainald

ERK

Just curious,
What TabletPC are you using?
I have Toshiba M205-S810, nVIDIA G-Force 5200 and 1.5Gig of RAM and running
Inventor 8. Have also run SW 2004.
Unless the assembly is huge, thousands of parts then the video slows down a
bit, but I like the TabletPC for note taking while I am doing 3D.

fox_jjkisf@trashmail.net

I have an Acer Travelmate C300. It's an old man at this point, and it
simply can't be used for any kind of useful 3D modeling, unfortunately.
I don't remember its exact specs, but I know it's got a crappy Intel
graphics chip and nowhere near a gig of RAM.

I've looked into ShareKMC (and Synergy, which is better IMO). Both of
those would be exactly what I'm looking for if only they would transmit
the pressure information from the pen.

Sigh. Maybe it's time to give up and just hope for a pile of money to
fall into my lap so I can get myself a Cintiq . It's just so
upsetting because the Tablet PC offers much of the functionality of the
Cintiq, but lacks the ability to connect to a desktop PC as an input
device. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave out that
functionality.