Using XP Home with Tablet PC, where can I get tablet software to w

ianshearin

Hi
I have recently purchased a Dialogue Flybook, it is a hybrid notebook/Tablet
PC. It comes with XP Home Edition preinstalled. I want to use the tablet PC
as a paper/pen alternative, ie notes, scribbling etc. There is only a program
that converts pen top text which is fairly usefull but where can I get
software to use extensively the pen facilities that will work with XP Home
Edition?
I am working in Saudi Arabia so getting software the retail way is limited,
it is much easier for me to buy/download online.
Any help advice is much appreciated, thank you
Ian

Mike Williams [MVP]

ianshearin wrote:
> Hi
> I have recently purchased a Dialogue Flybook, it is a hybrid notebook/Tablet
> PC. It comes with XP Home Edition preinstalled.

Therefore, it is not a Tablet PC computer as understood by this
newsgroup. They are defined by a certain set hardware spec and ALWAYS
come preinstalled with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. The Dialogue
Flybook has a touch-panel display, unlike Tablet PCs which have a
digitized screen that requires a special pen.

I want to use the tablet PC
> as a paper/pen alternative, ie notes, scribbling etc. There is only a program
> that converts pen top text which is fairly usefull but where can I get
> software to use extensively the pen facilities that will work with XP Home
> Edition?

Chances are that any inking you do will not interoperate with
ink-facilities provided by TPC edition and other Microsoft products.

ianshearin

Thanks for the speedy response Mike,
Ok so I dont have a Tablet PC per se...
Any ideas on how I could progress from here?
Are there any forums I could check out, what about sites that may sell
software I could use?
Thanks again for the response.
Ian

ianshearin wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy response Mike,
> Ok so I dont have a Tablet PC per se...
> Any ideas on how I could progress from here?
> Are there any forums I could check out, what about sites that may sell
> software I could use?

I can't speak to any of the third-party handwriting reco programs that
you can find with a web search (e.g. "handwriting windows", but
Microsoft Office XP or later does include a handwriting engine. See for
example:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...306906&sd=tech

Since your essentially performing mouse-based tracking on a
touch-screen, the results are likely to be less satisfactory than on a
Tablet touchscreen (or external Wacom tablet) as far less motion points
are captured.