VA-10 voltage problems

KenB123

Hi...

Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low at -7.2
and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same results with
two different power supplies (one of which is new).

Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?

lkboop

KenB123 wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low at -7.2
> and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same results with
> two different power supplies (one of which is new).
>
> Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?

If it works don't fool with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

KenB123

Must be a waste of time to install those monitors, then.

I was just worried I might be destroying my CPU.

news:46049bf8$0$1407$(E-Mail Removed)...

KenB123 wrote:
> Must be a waste of time to install those monitors, then.
>
> I was just worried I might be destroying my CPU.
>
> "lkboop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46049bf8$0$1407$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> KenB123 wrote:
>>> Hi...
>>>
>>> Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low
>>> at -7.2 and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same
>>> results with two different power supplies (one of which is new).
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?

>> If it works don't fool with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

First, if the -12 was actually -7.2 your computer isn't going to work
and you won't need any sensors to tell you that. Most of those monitors
don't work worth a damm any way, except the ones to tell you the fan
speeds and those are the monitors that are usually ignored. Figure that
one out.

The classic case "All I did was try to flash my BIOS and now my computer
just sits there and looks at me and won't talk to me--HELP Woo is
me". Usually the guy had no idea how to flash the BIOS or why he was
doing it in the first place.

Again don't fix it, if it ain't broke!!!!

Colon Terminus

"KenB123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HmXMh.30068$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi...
>
> Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low at -7.2
> and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same results

with
> two different power supplies (one of which is new).
>
> Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?

The -12 supply isn't used by your VA-10, so you can rest at ease. Chances
are that the measuring device needs to measure the -12 under a load and your
board doesn't provide a load for that rail.

Nothing to worry about. It's been years since ANY desktop board made use of
the -12 volt supply.

KenB

Well, I learn something new every day.

The ATX pwr supply has -12 on it, so I thought it was there for a purpose.

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4605a7c5$0$21717$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "KenB123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HmXMh.30068$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi...
>>
>> Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low
>> at -7.2
>> and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same results

> with
>> two different power supplies (one of which is new).
>>
>> Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?
>>

> The -12 supply isn't used by your VA-10, so you can rest at ease. Chances
> are that the measuring device needs to measure the -12 under a load and
> your
> board doesn't provide a load for that rail.
>
> Nothing to worry about. It's been years since ANY desktop board made use
> of
> the -12 volt supply.
>

> --
> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

Dylan C

KenB123 wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Two different monitoring utilities insist that my -12V is very low at -7.2
> and the AMD 2500+ core voltage is high at 1.66V. I got the same results with
> two different power supplies (one of which is new).
>
> Any ideas why this would be? Bad sensors, maybe?

The best place to get voltage information is in the BIOS or from vendor
supplied diagnostic programs. 3rd party applications usually introduce
at least a minor (in some cases major) error for a variety of reasons.

-Dylan C