VA-20 Boots only Once then needs CMOS Reset.

Jeffrae

Hello,

My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error Press
F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing.
So... I reboot the machine nad nothing happened..

I reset the CMOS via the jumper and the PC boot again with the same
message.. Well this time I pressed F1 and I recieved a trusty A:> Prompt
via my Boot Disk. I Decided to reboot the machine.. It would not boot.

I reset the CMOS again and it boot fine with at error message..
I unplugged everything from this card.. The only thing on it is a CPU and
Memory right now.. No HD... No FD...
I tried different Power Supplies... I tried a different Battery.. No Luck..

Thanks,
Jeff P

Wes Newell

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:

> My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
> Press
> F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
> looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
> machine nad nothing happened..

Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Jeffrae

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.01.25.15.52.37.64039@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:
>
> > My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
> > Press
> > F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
> > looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
> > machine nad nothing happened..
> >

> Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?
>
> --
> http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Yes.....

Jeffrae

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.01.25.15.52.37.64039@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:34:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:
>
> > My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error
> > Press
> > F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
> > looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing. So... I reboot the
> > machine nad nothing happened..
> >

> Did you load system defaults and save them when you were in the bios?
>
> --
> http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Yes.. I tried the Failsafe Defaults...

Thanks,
Jeff P

Jeffrae

Been on hold for an hour with Abit because of this..
Don't they answer their phones?

Thanks,
Jeff P

"Jeffrae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ct5m6e$8o6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error

Press
> F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
> looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing.
> So... I reboot the machine nad nothing happened..
>
> I reset the CMOS via the jumper and the PC boot again with the same
> message.. Well this time I pressed F1 and I recieved a trusty A:> Prompt
> via my Boot Disk. I Decided to reboot the machine.. It would not boot.
>
> I reset the CMOS again and it boot fine with at error message..
> I unplugged everything from this card.. The only thing on it is a CPU and
> Memory right now.. No HD... No FD...
> I tried different Power Supplies... I tried a different Battery.. No

Luck..

> Thanks,
> Jeff P

ERIC SHAIK

i gotta va20 coming but hope i dont have your poroblems coming with it .

"Jeffrae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ct64c1$fkq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Been on hold for an hour with Abit because of this..
> Don't they answer their phones?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff P
>

> "Jeffrae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ct5m6e$8o6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error

> Press
>> F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
>> looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing.
>> So... I reboot the machine nad nothing happened..
>>
>> I reset the CMOS via the jumper and the PC boot again with the same
>> message.. Well this time I pressed F1 and I recieved a trusty A:> Prompt
>> via my Boot Disk. I Decided to reboot the machine.. It would not boot.
>>
>> I reset the CMOS again and it boot fine with at error message..
>> I unplugged everything from this card.. The only thing on it is a CPU and
>> Memory right now.. No HD... No FD...
>> I tried different Power Supplies... I tried a different Battery.. No

> Luck..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff P

Jeffrae

I resolved it.. IT was due to Memory..

Do not use Crucial Memory.. Every stick would fail to boot..

Use Ultra Brand.. Samsung worked too.....

Thanks,
Jeff P

"ERIC SHAIK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0gFJd.11149$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> i gotta va20 coming but hope i dont have your poroblems coming with it .
>
> "Jeffrae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ct64c1$fkq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Been on hold for an hour with Abit because of this..
> > Don't they answer their phones?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff P
> >

> > "Jeffrae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ct5m6e$8o6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> My Brand new VA-20 will only boot once. It Gives a Checksum Error

> > Press
> >> F1 to Continue Del to Enter Setup.. Well I entered setup... Everything
> >> looked fine.. When I exited out the pc did nothing.
> >> So... I reboot the machine nad nothing happened..
> >>
> >> I reset the CMOS via the jumper and the PC boot again with the same
> >> message.. Well this time I pressed F1 and I recieved a trusty A:>

Prompt
> >> via my Boot Disk. I Decided to reboot the machine.. It would not boot.
> >>
> >> I reset the CMOS again and it boot fine with at error message..
> >> I unplugged everything from this card.. The only thing on it is a CPU

and
> >> Memory right now.. No HD... No FD...
> >> I tried different Power Supplies... I tried a different Battery.. No

> > Luck..
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jeff P

Wes Newell

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:32:10 -0600, Jeffrae wrote:

> I resolved it.. IT was due to Memory..
>
> Do not use Crucial Memory.. Every stick would fail to boot..

More likely it was due to the bios misinterpreting the SPD data from the
ram and setting wrong default values. You can verify this by booting with
whatever, manually setting the ram timings and saving bios, and then
reboot with the Crucial ram. I'd bet it's not actually a ram problem if
you tried more than one stick.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

ERIC SHAIK

I dont knoww if crucial is up there ubt on the abit site they have the types
9brands9 and speeds
that they have tested .. theer are plenty of the ddr400 up there .. i got
some
mostech or whatever ( its not mushkin) .. and its working ...

i dont see a lot of utilities that work with this board theough .. no hard
ware monitors or tweakering programs yet .. mbm5 seems to do something but
... is this a really new board that has a lack of support or am i
configuring something wrong ?

thanks,
eric

newsan.2005.01.26.20.53.02.155174@TAKEOUTverizon .net...