VA-503+ BIOS 4333, How large Harddrive is possible to use ?

Leilf FalkenstrÝm

Hello everyone!

Well, as the subject say, how large harddrive may I be able to use on
this mainboard. I know that this question have been on the wall before,
but the answer did not show up as far as I can remember.

I have tried a WD 1200BB with this mainboard, and it showed up as a
120GB drive, so may a 160GB drive be usable on this mainboard ?

I will soon get a 100MBit connection, so I plan to use this mainboard to
build a Linux box for FTP server and UNIX account.

Kind regards

Leilf Falkenstrom

GLMarx

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:32:13 UTC, Leilf FalkenstrÝm
<l-falken@_NO_SPAM_ofir.dk> wrote:

I just tried dropping in a 80gig HD into my VA-503+ with that BIOS ~
JE4333
Because I can't get it to boot I thought it might have maxed out at 65
gig.

I'm in a kind of catch-22 situation.
During bootup the drive is seen but when it flips screen it halts
right at the line where it tells the performance setting.
It shows UDMA 2 ... and stops dead in its tracks. When I go into
setup to step the drive parameters down as soon as the cursor hits the
primary drive on controller one, AUTO is high-lighted but the box is
frozen. Although the CAPS-LOCK/NUM-LOCK keys still work.

Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
floppy or diagnostic CD.
And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
out as 30gig, or shooting it ?

:-)

TIA
Gregory L. Marx

> Hello everyone!
>
> Well, as the subject say, how large harddrive may I be able to use on
> this mainboard. I know that this question have been on the wall before,
> but the answer did not show up as far as I can remember.
>
> I have tried a WD 1200BB with this mainboard, and it showed up as a
> 120GB drive, so may a 160GB drive be usable on this mainboard ?
>
> I will soon get a 100MBit connection, so I plan to use this mainboard to
> build a Linux box for FTP server and UNIX account.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Leilf Falkenstrom

Leilf FalkenstrÝm

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:13:16 GMT, "GLMarx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

I forgot to say that I just connected the drive. I just popped in the
drive and made an IDE scan in the BIOS, and booted it up to see that the
BIOS reported that it had a 120GB HDD. I know that IBM have a set of
utils to set the drive option to be in line with the controller. I
almost 100% sure that Western Digital have this kind of tools too, so I
will look at this today and come back with the result later.

Kind regards Leilf

>I just tried dropping in a 80gig HD into my VA-503+ with that BIOS ~
>JE4333
>Because I can't get it to boot I thought it might have maxed out at 65
>gig.

>I'm in a kind of catch-22 situation.
>During bootup the drive is seen but when it flips screen it halts
>right at the line where it tells the performance setting.
>It shows UDMA 2 ... and stops dead in its tracks. When I go into
>setup to step the drive parameters down as soon as the cursor hits the
>primary drive on controller one, AUTO is high-lighted but the box is
>frozen. Although the CAPS-LOCK/NUM-LOCK keys still work.
>
>Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>floppy or diagnostic CD.
>And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>out as 30gig, or shooting it ?

Roger Hunt

In article <1bMmtd7zwYPT-pn2-DrHox808JdWm@localhost>, GLMarx
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:32:13 UTC, Leilf FalkenstrÝm
><l-falken@_NO_SPAM_ofir.dk> wrote:
>
>I just tried dropping in a 80gig HD into my VA-503+ with that BIOS ~
>JE4333
>Because I can't get it to boot I thought it might have maxed out at 65
>gig.
>
>I'm in a kind of catch-22 situation.
>During bootup the drive is seen but when it flips screen it halts
>right at the line where it tells the performance setting.
>It shows UDMA 2 ... and stops dead in its tracks. When I go into
>setup to step the drive parameters down as soon as the cursor hits the
>primary drive on controller one, AUTO is high-lighted but the box is
>frozen. Although the CAPS-LOCK/NUM-LOCK keys still work.
>
>Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>floppy or diagnostic CD.
>And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>out as 30gig, or shooting it ?

I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
with je4333 (APM) BIOS.

When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

Good luck.
--
Roger Hunt

Leilf FalkenstrÝm

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:44:56 +0100, Leilf FalkenstrÝm
<l-falken@_NO_SPAM_ofir.dk> wrote:

This is a follow up from an earlier post.

For those of you that are interested to know how large harddrive that
are possible to use on this mainboard.

I have just made a clean install of redhat 9.0 server setup on a Western
Digital WD1200BB which is a 120GB 7200 rpm IDE disk with 2MB chache.
The redhat linux says that it is a 114MB disk, but some of goes out to
the filesystem i guess.

Any comments are welcome here in this thread, or to my mail adress
(E-Mail Removed) but you must write this subject in the mail subject, or
else it wount be readed. I get so much spam so I delete most mail which
I don't can recognise the sender from.

Regards Leilf

>I forgot to say that I just connected the drive. I just popped in the
>drive and made an IDE scan in the BIOS, and booted it up to see that the
>BIOS reported that it had a 120GB HDD. I know that IBM have a set of
>utils to set the drive option to be in line with the controller. I
>almost 100% sure that Western Digital have this kind of tools too, so I
>will look at this today and come back with the result later.
>
> Kind regards Leilf
>

>>I just tried dropping in a 80gig HD into my VA-503+ with that BIOS ~
>>JE4333
>>Because I can't get it to boot I thought it might have maxed out at 65
>>gig.

>>I'm in a kind of catch-22 situation.
>>During bootup the drive is seen but when it flips screen it halts
>>right at the line where it tells the performance setting.
>>It shows UDMA 2 ... and stops dead in its tracks. When I go into
>>setup to step the drive parameters down as soon as the cursor hits the
>>primary drive on controller one, AUTO is high-lighted but the box is
>>frozen. Although the CAPS-LOCK/NUM-LOCK keys still work.
>>
>>Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>>floppy or diagnostic CD.
>>And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>>out as 30gig, or shooting it ?

Leilf FalkenstrÝm

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:04:47 +0000, Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <1bMmtd7zwYPT-pn2-DrHox808JdWm@localhost>, GLMarx
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:32:13 UTC, Leilf FalkenstrÝm
>><l-falken@_NO_SPAM_ofir.dk> wrote:
>>
>>I just tried dropping in a 80gig HD into my VA-503+ with that BIOS ~
>>JE4333
>>Because I can't get it to boot I thought it might have maxed out at 65
>>gig.
>>
>>I'm in a kind of catch-22 situation.
>>During bootup the drive is seen but when it flips screen it halts
>>right at the line where it tells the performance setting.
>>It shows UDMA 2 ... and stops dead in its tracks. When I go into
>>setup to step the drive parameters down as soon as the cursor hits the
>>primary drive on controller one, AUTO is high-lighted but the box is
>>frozen. Although the CAPS-LOCK/NUM-LOCK keys still work.
>>
>>Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>>floppy or diagnostic CD.
>>And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>>out as 30gig, or shooting it ?
>>

>I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
>with je4333 (APM) BIOS.
>
>When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
>or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
>See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

I run this disk in LBA mode, and it works fine. UDMA 2

Regards Leilf

>Good luck.

GLMarx

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:04:47 UTC, Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snip>

> >Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
> >floppy or diagnostic CD.
> >And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
> >out as 30gig, or shooting it ?
> >

> I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
> with je4333 (APM) BIOS.
>
> When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
> or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
> See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

I can't do a auto-detect. When I select it all that happens is that
the number "2" is filled in somewhere on the red screen and then the
whole computer just freezes up.

No keyboard input or anything.

At this point I have to hit the power button.

Gregory L. Marx

Roger Hunt

In article <1bMmtd7zwYPT-pn2-bRLU6WOqqdLl@localhost>, GLMarx
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:04:47 UTC, Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> >Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>> >floppy or diagnostic CD.
>> >And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>> >out as 30gig, or shooting it ?
>> >

>> I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
>> with je4333 (APM) BIOS.
>>
>> When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
>> or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
>> See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

>I can't do a auto-detect. When I select it all that happens is that
>the number "2" is filled in somewhere on the red screen and then the
>whole computer just freezes up.
>
>No keyboard input or anything.
>
>At this point I have to hit the power button.

Wow! I've never had to cope with that sort of thing.
Only thing I could suggest is perhaps, is it jumpered correctly for it's
status as Master/Slave?
--
Roger Hunt

Leilf FalkenstrÝm

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:23:13 GMT, "GLMarx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:04:47 UTC, Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> >Since it can't get past the second screen I can't even boot to a
>> >floppy or diagnostic CD.
>> >And ideas short of pulling the drive and setting the jumper to max it
>> >out as 30gig, or shooting it ?
>> >

>> I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
>> with je4333 (APM) BIOS.
>>
>> When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
>> or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
>> See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

>I can't do a auto-detect. When I select it all that happens is that
>the number "2" is filled in somewhere on the red screen and then the
>whole computer just freezes up.

Tell some more about your setup.
HDD fab and modell.
BIOS version.
What you have connected of IDE devices.
CPU
How much RAM

Regards Leilf

>No keyboard input or anything.
>
>At this point I have to hit the power button.
>
>Gregory L. Marx

GLMarx

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:17:57 UTC, Leilf FalkenstrÝm
<l-falken@_NO_SPAM_ofir.dk> wrote:

See comments below ...

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 03:23:13 GMT, "GLMarx" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:04:47 UTC, Roger Hunt <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >
> ><snip>

> >> I recently installed an 80GB WD800BB Drive and it works fine on my 503+
> >> with je4333 (APM) BIOS.
> >>
> >> When you did HD Autodetect in BIOS setup did you opt for option 1 (LBA)
> >> or did you go for option 2 (Normal).
> >> See how it goes with option 2 - works fine here.

> >I can't do a auto-detect. When I select it all that happens is that
> >the number "2" is filled in somewhere on the red screen and then the
> >whole computer just freezes up.

> Tell some more about your setup.
> HDD fab and modell.

Maxtor Diamond MAX 80 gig

> BIOS version.

JE4333

> What you have connected of IDE devices.

IDE0: Master ~ Maxtor drive (the one I can't get detected properly) -
no Slave
IDE1: Master ~ CDROM - Slave ~ CDRW (both typical IDE devices)

> CPU

AMD K62-450

> How much RAM

156 megs