va-503+ JE3333 bios, cannot get IRQ assigned for video

CURT DODDS

I've been running until now with 'assign IRQ for VGA' set to disabled.
Recently installed an sis305 32mB AGP card and discovered the 3D
won't work without and IRQ assigned, so I enabled that option in bios.

I have been trying for the last week with no success:
have disabled apci in win98se,
disabled IRQ routing
re-flashed the bios with all the clear switches (ESCD, CMOS etc)
tried a standard PCI video card (still no video IRQ)
reinstalled the via hyperion drivers
the adjacent PCI slot is empty
free IRQ's are 3, 5, 7, 9, 10,11
have booted to linux and dos
nothing will get me an IRQ for video.

Help!?
Curt

Kyle Brant

There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something similar)
in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo looks
to initialize the agp vid card first.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"CURT DODDS" <(E-Mail Removed)-asics.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I've been running until now with 'assign IRQ for VGA' set to
disabled.
| Recently installed an sis305 32mB AGP card and discovered the 3D
| won't work without and IRQ assigned, so I enabled that option in
bios.

| I have been trying for the last week with no success:
| have disabled apci in win98se,
| disabled IRQ routing
| re-flashed the bios with all the clear switches (ESCD, CMOS etc)
| tried a standard PCI video card (still no video IRQ)
| reinstalled the via hyperion drivers
| the adjacent PCI slot is empty
| free IRQ's are 3, 5, 7, 9, 10,11
| have booted to linux and dos
| nothing will get me an IRQ for video.
|
| Help!?
| Curt

Curt Dodds

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:10:44 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something similar)
>in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
>settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
>setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
>just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo looks
>to initialize the agp vid card first.

I have enabled the 'reset configuration data' dozens of times.
Also enabled pnp and disabled pnp operating system.
Tried init AGP first and init PCI first.
All possible combinations of all of these.
Nothing I do will get me an IRQ for either the AGP or a PCI
video card.
The Bios version is JE4333. (Subject was a typo)

Job60

You are using an ATX power supply ? Aren't you !
NoJOB@aol.

Curt Dodds

On 10 Oct 2003 02:51:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)pamFree (Job60) wrote:

>You are using an ATX power supply ? Aren't you !
>NoJOB@aol.

Why, yes I am !
Do you have a secret to share?

Kyle Brant

Do this: put a blank floppy in the floppy drive, change boot seek to
a:, c:. Now on reboot, the machine will hang booting from the floppy,
and you can see the BIOS assignment of IRQs on the monitor. Is the
vid card getting an IRQ? If so, then the problem is with windows.
Have you installed the VIA 4-1 miniport IRQ driver?

--
Best regards,
Kyle
tired of spam, no email address
"Curt Dodds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 01:10:44 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote:
|
| >There is a setting named "reset configuration" (or something
similar)
| >in the PCI/PNP setup menu, this causes the mobo to discard old
| >settings for pci/agp devices and acquire new settings. Enable this
| >setting and reboot and see what happens. Hope this helps, this is
| >just a guess. Also, you might try "init AGP first" so the mobo
looks
| >to initialize the agp vid card first.
|
| I have enabled the 'reset configuration data' dozens of times.
| Also enabled pnp and disabled pnp operating system.
| Tried init AGP first and init PCI first.
| All possible combinations of all of these.
| Nothing I do will get me an IRQ for either the AGP or a PCI
| video card.
| The Bios version is JE4333. (Subject was a typo)

Curt Dodds

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:25:10 -0500, "Kyle Brant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Do this: put a blank floppy in the floppy drive, change boot seek to
>a:, c:. Now on reboot, the machine will hang booting from the floppy,
>and you can see the BIOS assignment of IRQs on the monitor. Is the
>vid card getting an IRQ? If so, then the problem is with windows.
>Have you installed the VIA 4-1 miniport IRQ driver?

I did boot with a blank floppy. No IRQ assignment is displayed.
The 'Award Software System Configurations' window is displayed
showing the processor memory disks and memory banks.
Then shows Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability.....disabled
and
Verifying DMI Pool Data ......
then
Non-System disk ..etc

I strongly suspect the bios or motherboard is the problem.
I have tried various via 4-n-1 drivers from year 2000 to current.
I also boot to four versions of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo,
Debian) They all show the very same IRQ assignment.

Thanks for your time & trouble,
Curt

Tim

Curt,

If no IRQ assignment is displayed at POST under the Award Software
System Configuration, then you need to enter BIOS SETUP, and under
section PNP/PCI Configuration, either change "Resources Controlled By"
or "PNP OS Installed" to the option it is not currently at, I forget
which of the two is the culprit. Try "Resources Controlled By" first.

Changing one of the two should reveal the IRQ assignment at POST.

Regards,

Tim

Curt Dodds wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> I did boot with a blank floppy. No IRQ assignment is displayed.
> The 'Award Software System Configurations' window is displayed
> showing the processor memory disks and memory banks.
> Then shows Primary Master HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability.....disabled
> and
> Verifying DMI Pool Data ......
> then
> Non-System disk ..etc
>
> I strongly suspect the bios or motherboard is the problem.
> I have tried various via 4-n-1 drivers from year 2000 to current.
> I also boot to four versions of Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Gentoo,
> Debian) They all show the very same IRQ assignment.
>
> Thanks for your time & trouble,
> Curt

Curt Dodds