[VA-503+] looks like no power is getting to board except for oneweird thing

no-spam

Ok, time to 'fess up.

I was messing around and damaged my VA-503+

I am still on the air (obviously) but my AGP slot doesn't work and my
USB2 port doesn't work and things seem very freaky in general, so I
bought a replacement on eBay.

Problem is, I can't get a peep out of the new board. No POST, no beeps,
no nothing. (I've gone over the jumpering several times and even peeled
the sticker off the flash ROM chip to make sure I have that right.

Right now the only things connected to the board is the speaker, the
power supply and a fan connected to CHAS_FAN (the 3-pin connector
located just to the left of the center PCI slot).

Here's the weird thing: the fan spins fine if it is connected directly
to the power supply but not if it is connected to CHAS_FAN -- except
that it momentarily spins (backwards?) when I turn the power *off*!

What could possibly cause the fan to spin if there is no power getting
to the board? But if power is getting to the board, why does the fan
only spin when I turn the power off? That's bizarre.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thank you!

-- BillH

Marcus Coles

no-spam wrote:
> Ok, time to 'fess up.
>
> I was messing around and damaged my VA-503+
>
> I am still on the air (obviously) but my AGP slot doesn't work and my
> USB2 port doesn't work and things seem very freaky in general, so I
> bought a replacement on eBay.
>
> Problem is, I can't get a peep out of the new board. No POST, no beeps,
> no nothing. (I've gone over the jumpering several times and even peeled
> the sticker off the flash ROM chip to make sure I have that right.
>
> Right now the only things connected to the board is the speaker, the
> power supply and a fan connected to CHAS_FAN (the 3-pin connector
> located just to the left of the center PCI slot).
>
> Here's the weird thing: the fan spins fine if it is connected directly
> to the power supply but not if it is connected to CHAS_FAN -- except
> that it momentarily spins (backwards?) when I turn the power *off*!
>
> What could possibly cause the fan to spin if there is no power getting
> to the board? But if power is getting to the board, why does the fan
> only spin when I turn the power off? That's bizarre.
>
> Does this ring any bells with anyone?
>
> Thank you!
>
> -- BillH

I just happened to stop by here, I imagine you solved this long ago.
You need to set the power jumper on the motherboard to suit the power
supply either AT or ATX.

Marcus

I've still got a VA-503+ on BOINC running Debian sid ;-)