Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Value of Launchpad?

 
 
Peter Clemenza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure I see any value added to Launchpad in Lion. What more does
it offer than just clicking on the Applications folder in the Dock?

--
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
In article <je042d$951$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Clemenza
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not sure I see any value added to Launchpad in Lion. What more does
> it offer than just clicking on the Applications folder in the Dock?


it brings the os x one step closer merging with ios and ipads.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sbt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2012, 01:44 AM
In article <030120121637110441%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <je042d$951$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Clemenza
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure I see any value added to Launchpad in Lion. What more does
> > it offer than just clicking on the Applications folder in the Dock?

>
> it brings the os x one step closer merging with ios and ipads.


This is an oft-repeated and not completely accurate assessment.
Launchpad (and the iOS interface) are both derivative of Finder
alternatives from Apple that date back over a decade, such as Simple
Finder. They used to be spoken of as "HyperCard-like."

Remember, everything old is new again

LaunchPad, like SimpleFinder and other alternatives, have benefit for
users that are organizationally-challenged, including small children,
some technophobic individuals, and some seniors with visual/dexterity
issues.

--
Spenser
 
Reply With Quote
 
Király
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Peter Clemenza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm not sure I see any value added to Launchpad in Lion. What more does
> it offer than just clicking on the Applications folder in the Dock?


The iOS-inspired app launcher offers nothing to the experienced OS X
user. Hunting around a grid of icons to find the app you want and then
clicking to open it was how the original Mac worked in 1984, and was
revolutionary at the time. It became obsolete when app launcing was
added to the Apple menu in 1991 and then to the Dock in 2001. In 2005,
Spotlight introduced app launching with a few keystrokes, no more
mouse/trackpad needed. Was anyone by 2005 still opening a Finder window
in icon view anymore, just to find and open an app?

So why return to the obsolete-for-20-years regimen of hunting around a
grid of icons just to open an app?

Because it's designed to appeal to a millions-strong set of users that
Apple sees as ripe for the picking: People who know their iPhones and
iPads inside out, but who have not yet switched from Windows to the Mac.

Longtime MacOS/OS X user on Launchpad: It works just like on my iPad.
How silly.

Windows switcher on Launchpad: It works just like on my iPad. How cool.

See the point now? iOS-device-toting Windows users will love it for its
instant familiarity. OS X users who can recognize an
obsolete-for-20-years way to open apps when they see it, can simply
ignore it.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Clemenza
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
On 1/3/12 9:08 PM, Király wrote:
> Peter Clemenza<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I see any value added to Launchpad in Lion. What more does
>> it offer than just clicking on the Applications folder in the Dock?

>
> The iOS-inspired app launcher offers nothing to the experienced OS X
> user. Hunting around a grid of icons to find the app you want and then
> clicking to open it was how the original Mac worked in 1984, and was
> revolutionary at the time. It became obsolete when app launcing was
> added to the Apple menu in 1991 and then to the Dock in 2001. In 2005,
> Spotlight introduced app launching with a few keystrokes, no more
> mouse/trackpad needed. Was anyone by 2005 still opening a Finder window
> in icon view anymore, just to find and open an app?
>
> So why return to the obsolete-for-20-years regimen of hunting around a
> grid of icons just to open an app?
>
> Because it's designed to appeal to a millions-strong set of users that
> Apple sees as ripe for the picking: People who know their iPhones and
> iPads inside out, but who have not yet switched from Windows to the Mac.
>
> Longtime MacOS/OS X user on Launchpad: It works just like on my iPad.
> How silly.
>
> Windows switcher on Launchpad: It works just like on my iPad. How cool.
>
> See the point now? iOS-device-toting Windows users will love it for its
> instant familiarity. OS X users who can recognize an
> obsolete-for-20-years way to open apps when they see it, can simply
> ignore it.
>


Thanks. Poof--- I just gained an inch of space my Dock!

--
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Király
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Peter Clemenza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks. Poof--- I just gained an inch of space my Dock!


Be glad that you can. In early developer builds of Lion it was not
possible to remove Launchpad from the Dock.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
 
Reply With Quote
 
unfrostedpoptart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Launchpad could be very useful except it's almost impossible (without taking a week) to configure now. You can't move more than one item at a time and you can't have nested folders and it doesn't even have the fast multi-screen arranging that iTunes lets you do for your iPhone and iPad!

If it had these features, I would use it, but I spent about an hour trying to clean up the 8 screens worth of icons that it created for me from all myapps. I realized it would take days to make it how I wanted, and then still not really without nested folders.

Back to Launchbar. I'm a keyboard guy anyway, but GUIs are nice when I'm looking for something I don't use often and don't remember the name.

David
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Young
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2012, 12:34 AM
In article
<5872175.1490.1326058722713.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqdj19>,
unfrostedpoptart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Launchpad could be very useful except it's almost impossible (without taking
> a week) to configure now. You can't move more than one item at a time and
> you can't have nested folders and it doesn't even have the fast multi-screen
> arranging that iTunes lets you do for your iPhone and iPad!
>
> If it had these features, I would use it, but I spent about an hour trying to
> clean up the 8 screens worth of icons that it created for me from all my
> apps. I realized it would take days to make it how I wanted, and then still
> not really without nested folders.
>
> Back to Launchbar. I'm a keyboard guy anyway, but GUIs are nice when I'm
> looking for something I don't use often and don't remember the name.
>
> David


I don't use Launchpad and Launchpad doesn't bother me. I did take it
out of the dock but other then that I would not know I had the three
pages of Apps I have and that Launchpad was installed on my Mac. You
have eight screens worth of Icons...Thats a lot but nothing wrong with
that. Anyway I now use Keyboard Maestro, its amazing what it will do.
Before Lion I used QuicKeys, Jumpcut and USB Overdrive. Keyboard Maestro
does all of what I was doing with the other three Apps, with ease. I was
using USB Overdrive for a kensington Expert mouse. I do realize Keyboard
Maestro or QuicKeys would have but the buttons on my kensington Expert
mouse to use but it was so easy in Keyboard Maestro I just scraped USB
Overdrive. I would recommend Keyboard Maestro to all that don't have
trouble using iTunes. Keyboard Maestro is in the Apple app store.
Disclaimer: I only wish I worked for Apple.
John
 
Reply With Quote
 
TaliesinSoft
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2012, 04:19 AM
On 2012-01-09 00:34:56 +0000, John Young said:

[commenting on launching applications]

> Anyway I now use Keyboard Maestro, its amazing what it will do.


I'm a visual person, one who doesn't like to remember a bunch of
keystrokes, but one who likes to use my MagicTrackpad whenever
possible. As far as launching an application that is not in my dock I
find Spotlight quite capable of doing the job, although I am trying to
see if LaunchPad might be easier for me use.


--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
µController wake up on compare (analog value == pre set internal value)? Ben Embedded 23 04-17-2007 12:45 PM
Kingston Value vs Corsair Value RAM for OC SockA XP-M Phil, Squid-in-Training Overclocking 3 12-30-2004 03:33 PM
2.5V value too high Elouan Le Bretton Abit 2 10-29-2003 11:18 PM
BH6 and Sound Blaster Live! Value alan Abit 5 10-23-2003 05:10 AM
Radeon *Value* Family - 9700 and below. . . Wayne Youngman Abit 1 07-15-2003 03:11 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment