VB601 random reboots

Erik the Bold

Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking for
suggestions.

system specs:

latest bios
PII-450 not oc'd
crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
WIN 98
nVidia Viper V550 video card
WD 30gb hd
Generic CD
Zip drive
Floppy
Conner tape backup
APC BackUPS 450

System has been working fine for more than 3 years

Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
doesn't appear to be software related

AidA32 shows system temps
within acceptable limits;
mb 25 dec C (77F)
proc 45 deg C (115F)

Voltages are:

CPU 2.00v
CPU aux 1.49v
+3.3v 3.33v
+5.0v 5.03v
+12.0v 12.03v
-12.0v -11.46v
-5.0v -5.00v
+5.0v standby 7.36v
battery 3.26v

I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??

Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
reboot.
My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????

Thanks in advance...........

Alex Zorrilla

Erik,

I tend to agree with you about the power supply, but it is hard to say for
sure. That would be my first guess, though. You may also make sure that all
your components are well seated and nothing is loose. This includes CPU,
RAM, AGP/PCI/ISA cards, etc.

+5Vsb is the standby power delivered to the motherboard when the computer is
"off". Unless you have your computer totally unplugged from the wall, there
is a little bit of power delievered to the motherboard. This is also used
when your computer is in "suspend" mode. The value given here is a bit high,
but I doubt it is causing your problems.

CPU aux voltage is used by the internal CPU bus (I forget the correct
techincal term for it). For a Pentium II, the correct value is 1.5V, so you
are OK here.

--Alex

Erik the Bold wrote:

> Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking for
> suggestions.
>
> system specs:
>
> latest bios
> PII-450 not oc'd
> crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
> WIN 98
> nVidia Viper V550 video card
> WD 30gb hd
> Generic CD
> Zip drive
> Floppy
> Conner tape backup
> APC BackUPS 450
>
> System has been working fine for more than 3 years
>
> Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
> doesn't appear to be software related
>
> AidA32 shows system temps
> within acceptable limits;
> mb 25 dec C (77F)
> proc 45 deg C (115F)
>
> Voltages are:
>
> CPU 2.00v
> CPU aux 1.49v
> +3.3v 3.33v
> +5.0v 5.03v
> +12.0v 12.03v
> -12.0v -11.46v
> -5.0v -5.00v
> +5.0v standby 7.36v
> battery 3.26v
>
> I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??
>
> Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
> reboot.
> My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????
>
> Thanks in advance...........

Tony R

Hi,

You should take a look to all the capacitors near the cpu slot.
I repaired 5 or 6 of them in the last 2-3 months and the capacitors are probably the culprit.
Look if they are bulged, rounded or if they leaked on the motherboard.

The following link will bring you to a guy's website that replace them (bad capacitors):

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

Look at his website, there are many examples for bad capacitors:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

These images are the best ones for bad capacitors:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps2.jpg
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps3.jpg
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/ima...bad_caps_1.jpg

Good Luck!!

Tony

P.S.: Remove 'xyz' from email address to reply directly.

Erik the Bold wrote:

> Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking for
> suggestions.
>
> system specs:
>
> latest bios
> PII-450 not oc'd
> crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
> WIN 98
> nVidia Viper V550 video card
> WD 30gb hd
> Generic CD
> Zip drive
> Floppy
> Conner tape backup
> APC BackUPS 450
>
> System has been working fine for more than 3 years
>
> Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
> doesn't appear to be software related
>
> AidA32 shows system temps
> within acceptable limits;
> mb 25 dec C (77F)
> proc 45 deg C (115F)
>
> Voltages are:
>
> CPU 2.00v
> CPU aux 1.49v
> +3.3v 3.33v
> +5.0v 5.03v
> +12.0v 12.03v
> -12.0v -11.46v
> -5.0v -5.00v
> +5.0v standby 7.36v
> battery 3.26v
>
> I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??
>
> Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
> reboot.
> My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????
>
> Thanks in advance...........

Erik the Bold

Replaced power supply this morning with generic 300w PS from local comp
store, unit has been running fine for 3+ hours (still crossing my fingers)

"Alex Zorrilla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Erik,
>
> I tend to agree with you about the power supply, but it is hard to say for
> sure. That would be my first guess, though. You may also make sure that

all
> your components are well seated and nothing is loose. This includes CPU,
> RAM, AGP/PCI/ISA cards, etc.
>
> +5Vsb is the standby power delivered to the motherboard when the computer

is
> "off". Unless you have your computer totally unplugged from the wall,

there
> is a little bit of power delievered to the motherboard. This is also used
> when your computer is in "suspend" mode. The value given here is a bit

high,
> but I doubt it is causing your problems.
>
> CPU aux voltage is used by the internal CPU bus (I forget the correct
> techincal term for it). For a Pentium II, the correct value is 1.5V, so

you
> are OK here.
>
> --Alex
>

> Erik the Bold wrote:
>
> > Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking

for
> > suggestions.
> >
> > system specs:
> >
> > latest bios
> > PII-450 not oc'd
> > crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
> > WIN 98
> > nVidia Viper V550 video card
> > WD 30gb hd
> > Generic CD
> > Zip drive
> > Floppy
> > Conner tape backup
> > APC BackUPS 450
> >
> > System has been working fine for more than 3 years
> >
> > Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
> > doesn't appear to be software related
> >
> > AidA32 shows system temps
> > within acceptable limits;
> > mb 25 dec C (77F)
> > proc 45 deg C (115F)
> >
> > Voltages are:
> >
> > CPU 2.00v
> > CPU aux 1.49v
> > +3.3v 3.33v
> > +5.0v 5.03v
> > +12.0v 12.03v
> > -12.0v -11.46v
> > -5.0v -5.00v
> > +5.0v standby 7.36v
> > battery 3.26v
> >
> > I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??
> >
> > Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
> > reboot.
> > My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????
> >
> > Thanks in advance...........

Erik the Bold

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I am familiar with the capacitor issue
and that's the first thing I looked at........... replaced PS this morning
and seems ok so far....................

"Tony R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> You should take a look to all the capacitors near the cpu slot.
> I repaired 5 or 6 of them in the last 2-3 months and the capacitors are

probably the culprit.
> Look if they are bulged, rounded or if they leaked on the motherboard.
>
> The following link will bring you to a guy's website that replace them

(bad capacitors):

> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
>

> Look at his website, there are many examples for bad capacitors:
>
> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images
>
> These images are the best ones for bad capacitors:
>

> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps2.jpg
> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/images/BadCaps3.jpg
> http://www.motherboardrepair.com/ima...bad_caps_1.jpg
>
> Good Luck!!
>
> Tony
>
> P.S.: Remove 'xyz' from email address to reply directly.
>

> Erik the Bold wrote:
> >
> > Have VB601(B) ver 1.4 have been experiencing random re-boots, looking

for
> > suggestions.
> >
> > system specs:
> >
> > latest bios
> > PII-450 not oc'd
> > crucial 128 mb PC133 - (2) sticks less than 1yr old
> > WIN 98
> > nVidia Viper V550 video card
> > WD 30gb hd
> > Generic CD
> > Zip drive
> > Floppy
> > Conner tape backup
> > APC BackUPS 450
> >
> > System has been working fine for more than 3 years
> >
> > Will reboot sometimes even when checking memory or accessing bios, so
> > doesn't appear to be software related
> >
> > AidA32 shows system temps
> > within acceptable limits;
> > mb 25 dec C (77F)
> > proc 45 deg C (115F)
> >
> > Voltages are:
> >
> > CPU 2.00v
> > CPU aux 1.49v
> > +3.3v 3.33v
> > +5.0v 5.03v
> > +12.0v 12.03v
> > -12.0v -11.46v
> > -5.0v -5.00v
> > +5.0v standby 7.36v
> > battery 3.26v
> >
> > I question the CPU aux and +5v standby voltages....what are these for ??
> >
> > Sometimes will run for hours, other times will reboot in the middle of a
> > reboot.
> > My thoughts lean towards a failing PS, but any suggestions ????
> >
> > Thanks in advance...........

AK86-L Random Reboots Possible Cure Mythodisty AOpen 0 11-15-2004 04:35 PM
random reboots Mathew Duafala Asus 16 05-30-2004 04:50 AM
HD-size VB601 V Manfred Bathen FIC 3 02-07-2004 09:00 PM
random reboots Andy Dremeaux Asus 13 11-25-2003 08:19 PM
Random reboots w/ 2 memory sticks(256) but stable w/ 1 memory stick(128) foobar Abit 6 07-31-2003 05:30 PM