very high temperature for MacBookPro 15" mid 2009 (model number 5,3)

fromthestone

Hi everybody,
even if i have 20 C degrees in my office and the CPU use is very low my macbook get 72 C degrees temperature and 6400 rpm fan use.
I use it to do office job, MS office suite and sometime Adobe Illustrator.
Anyone had my same problem?
It is normal?

dorayme

In article
<21365653.717.1332676062824.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynne2>,
fromthestone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> even if i have 20 C degrees in my office and the CPU use is very low my
> macbook get 72 C degrees temperature and 6400 rpm fan use.
> I use it to do office job, MS office suite and sometime Adobe Illustrator.
> Anyone had my same problem?
> It is normal?

Soon as I use my 13" Macbook to run a bit of javascript, maybe open a
spreadsheet, open Illustrator, the temp soon rises to 70 to 80.
Whether it is normal, I can't say.

--
dorayme

Alan Browne

On 2012-03-25 07:47 , fromthestone wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> even if i have 20 C degrees in my office and the CPU use is very low my macbook get 72 C degrees temperature and 6400 rpm fan use.
> I use it to do office job, MS office suite and sometime Adobe Illustrator.
> Anyone had my same problem?
> It is normal?

If it's lying on a smooth, hard surface, it should stay reasonably cool.
If it's on a soft, irregular surface (cloth) the whole underside may
be insulated blocking heat dissipation.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

JF Mezei

When I first got my mid 2009 MacBook Pro 13", the fan would start to
speed up when the temperature would reach about 60. It was very gradual
but I think the target temperature was 60

There was a firmware upgrade and since then, the fan doesn't kick in
until the temperature has risen to the high 80s.

Google Earth in flight simulator mode is goo test to see temperatures rise.

Andreas Rutishauser

Salut Matteo

In article
<21365653.717.1332676062824.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynne2>,
fromthestone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> even if i have 20 C degrees in my office and the CPU use is very low my
> macbook get 72 C degrees temperature and 6400 rpm fan use.
> I use it to do office job, MS office suite and sometime Adobe Illustrator.
> Anyone had my same problem?
> It is normal?

no, this is not normal.
6400rpm is about the max fan speed...
Have you checked with activity monitor (tell it to show all processes)
if CPU usage is really low? You can sort by CPU usage...
How many pageouts does the MacBook Pro have? What about used swap?
How much RAM is built into the machine (8GB would be possible)?

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

Ron

fromthestone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everybody, even if i have 20 C degrees in my office and the CPU use is
>very low my macbook get 72 C degrees temperature and 6400 rpm fan use.
>I use it to do office job, MS office suite and sometime Adobe
>Illustrator. Anyone had my same problem? It is normal?

My 13" MBP runs at 60 C or so when running Parallels, sometimes
exceeding 70. Haven't seen the fan spin nearly that fast but 72 doesn't
seem abnormally high for periods of high CPU usage.
Ron