Low-cost computers, which include a hard drive and a monitor, are
designed for emerging markets.

Sumner Lemon, IDG News Service
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Via Technologies plans to introduce a range of low-cost computer
designs aimed at users in emerging markets, a company executive said
this week.

The designs are part of a Via project called Terra PC and will be
unveiled at the Via Technology Forum (VTF), scheduled for the first
week of June in Taiwan, says Richard Brown, the company's associate
vice president of marketing. VTF will be held alongside the Computex
exhibition in Taipei.

Despite its name, the Terra PC project actually refers to several
different devices that will be priced between $100 and $250, Brown
says. The devices are expected to hit markets in India later this
year, and will be offered by Via in partnership with other companies,
such as Internet service providers, he says.

The Terra PC range includes a fully featured PC, priced at $250,
including a hard drive and a monitor, Brown says. It also comes with a
flash memory-based Media Station and a $100 Communication Station,
that uses flash memory and is designed for broadband Internet
applications, such as VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol), he says.

System Specs

All of these devices will be based on processors and chip sets from
Taipei-based Via, Brown says. The company has not yet decided what
operating system to use with the devices. "We're still very open.
We're looking at both Linux and Windows," Brown says.

In addition to the reference designs, Via is developing a series of
product bundles consisting of Terra PC clients and a server, targeted
at specific applications, such as schools or an Internet cafe, Brown
says. The bundles are being developed as part of an effort to find new
distribution channels to get the Terra PC devices to users who can
best take advantage of them. "We want to be as flexible as we can,"
Brown says.

Additional details about the Terra PC effort will be announced in
June.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...051105X,00.asp

===
"Until last October, Christ had a very limited involvement in my life. I believed in God; I just never had to prove I believed. Belief is an absence of proof."
-- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling