Video Card Recommendation For Vostro

Bob Villa

I'm looking for a "middle-of-the-road" (fairly cheap) maybe 512Mb card
for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
Thanks much.
bob

Christopher Muto

On 3/9/2011 6:27 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> I'm looking for a "middle-of-the-road" (fairly cheap) maybe 512Mb card
> for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
> Thanks much.
> bob

the vostro 230 mini-tower (which has a pci-e x16 support full height
graphic card slot) came with either integrated intel gma x4500, a
geforce g310 512mb pci-e card (passmark of about 279), or a geforce
gt220 1gb pci-e card (passmark of about 454). assuming that you have
the integrated card and are looking for a video performance improment
without spending a lot of money i would suggest this gt220 512mb card
for $45 ($65 less a $20 mail in rebate)...
there are of course many many other options including spending another
$12 (nearly 30% more) for the same card with 1gb...
these cards do have a fan so will add some noise to your system and
there are fanless options available too like this somewhat less powerful
but solid performing radeon hd4550 for $45...

Bob Villa

On Mar 9, 10:46*am, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 6:27 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a "middle-of-the-road" (fairly cheap) maybe 512Mb card
> > for a Vostro 230 (non slim).
> > Thanks much.
> > bob

> the vostro 230 mini-tower (which has a pci-e x16 support full height
> graphic card slot) came with either integrated intel gma x4500, a
> geforce g310 512mb pci-e card (passmark of about 279), or a geforce
> gt220 1gb pci-e card (passmark of about 454). *assuming that you have
> the integrated card and are looking for a video performance improment
> without spending *a lot of money i would suggest this gt220 512mb card
> for $45 ($65 less a $20 mail in rebate)...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500129
> there are of course many many other options including spending another
> $12 (nearly 30% more) for the same card with 1gb...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500130
> these cards do have a fan so will add some noise to your system and
> there are fanless options available too like this somewhat less powerful
> but solid performing radeon hd4550 for $45...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125250

Thanks much, I will probably opt for your last suggestion.