Video Conferencing Mac running iChat / PC running AOL IM 5.5

Crackhead Millionaire

Hello friends. I'm trying to initiate video communications between a
win 2000 laptop using the AOL IM client and a MAC OS/10 using the
iChat client. The Mac user has an IM account, which I can communicate
with using text.

Can anyone provide any insight into creating a video conference
between these two machines? All I could interpret from the Max side
was that my screen name did not have a lit camera next to it, and thus
he was unable to send any pictures in my direcion. On my end, AOM was
unable to initiate a direct connection with the user; and the VideoIM
Add-In reported that the user I was communicating with did not support
this Add-In.

There is no effective firewall on the PC end. There is a firewall
that may or may not be operational on the Mac end.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
cm

Bob Harris

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Crackhead Millionaire) wrote:

> Hello friends. I'm trying to initiate video communications between a
> win 2000 laptop using the AOL IM client and a MAC OS/10 using the
> iChat client. The Mac user has an IM account, which I can communicate
> with using text.
>
> Can anyone provide any insight into creating a video conference
> between these two machines? All I could interpret from the Max side
> was that my screen name did not have a lit camera next to it, and thus
> he was unable to send any pictures in my direcion. On my end, AOM was
> unable to initiate a direct connection with the user; and the VideoIM
> Add-In reported that the user I was communicating with did not support
> this Add-In.
>
> There is no effective firewall on the PC end. There is a firewall
> that may or may not be operational on the Mac end.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated!
> cm

My understanding of AOL's Instant Messenger video conferencing is that
it requires

Windows XP
with a patch from AOL
Plus AIM v5.5 http://www.aim.com/

In order to connect to a Mac you need to be running Mac OS X 10.3.* and
the "iChat AV 2.1 Beta" software http://www.apple.com/ichat

The AOL Instant Messenging web site has an FAQ on setting up video
conferencing on Windows systems.

Bob Harris

Video conferencing in iChat John Apple 6 04-18-2010 06:15 PM
ATI Video In and Video Conferencing pjp ATI 0 04-28-2005 08:38 AM
Onboard sound & Video Conferencing A.R.Mills Asus 2 03-12-2005 10:04 AM
Removing AOL icons after I have removed AOL and they interfear with my E-mail The Coach Tablet PC 1 02-07-2004 10:40 PM
Simple iChat question: do I actually need AOL? Van Bagnol Apple 2 07-30-2003 04:08 AM