View boot screen

bob

OK here's the deal.
brand new IP35 Pro board
core2 quad at 2.4
4 GB RAM
9600GT Graphics card ( also tried an older pci gforce)
when I start, the system the codes on the mainboard read:
9.0. - which the book says is - "complete uGuru initial process
AWARDBIOS take over booting job"
the keyboard num lock seems to light on and off but there is nothing I
can see on my screen!!!
I can't get into something I can see. Ah..
I don't have anymore working CRT's at this location. What I have is a
Viewsonic VX2245wm (it has dvi and vga inputs)
I have tried both dvi and the vga (with the adapter for the dvi out on
the graphics card).
Is there anyway past this 'nothingness' view on the screen.
I have waited a few minutes and pressed 'F10' and enter. Hoping that
would save whatever 'default' info the boot sequence found. and still
nothing.
I am getting ready for a hammer
Any help??
Thank you in advance.

Paul

bob wrote:
> OK here's the deal.
> brand new IP35 Pro board
> core2 quad at 2.4
> 4 GB RAM
> 9600GT Graphics card ( also tried an older pci gforce)
> when I start, the system the codes on the mainboard read:
> 9.0. - which the book says is - "complete uGuru initial process
> AWARDBIOS take over booting job"
> the keyboard num lock seems to light on and off but there is nothing I
> can see on my screen!!!
> I can't get into something I can see. Ah..
> I don't have anymore working CRT's at this location. What I have is a
> Viewsonic VX2245wm (it has dvi and vga inputs)
> I have tried both dvi and the vga (with the adapter for the dvi out on
> the graphics card).
> Is there anyway past this 'nothingness' view on the screen.
> I have waited a few minutes and pressed 'F10' and enter. Hoping that
> would save whatever 'default' info the boot sequence found. and still
> nothing.
> I am getting ready for a hammer
> Any help??
> Thank you in advance.

http://www.abit.com.tw/faq/code.html

Code "9.0." according to that chart, says "OC too high" or "BIOS dead".
It implies the normal POST sequence is not working. Although your
flashing Numlock implies otherwise.

Try to simplify your setup. Use just one stick of RAM. It could be
that your processor is too advanced for the current BIOS code. (More
problems with Wolfdale/Penryn perhaps.)

On other motherboards, what you can do, is use the speaker beeps as
indirect test cases. For example, on a working motherboard, if I
remove all the RAM, I hear a "missing RAM" beep code. It proves the
processor has executed some BIOS code, and also was able to beep
the speaker (which takes some chip programming). A bunch of stuff
has to work, in order to make the speaker beep.

On some motherboards, a bad video card, can freeze the BIOS, so
it won't progress. Removing the video, can do two things. It
may allow the board to detect "missing video" and also beep the speaker.

So try a few test cases, where less hardware is connected or installed
into the board.

Also, check the basics. Make sure your 2x2 ATX12V is connected, as it
powers the processor. And that your main power connector is fully
seated.

Paul