Vintage 1983 GRiD 1101 Laptop - First Clamshell Laptop - Used by NASA

Ryan Wilkinson

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

FOR AUCTION:

A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.

Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
of money.

Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Lisa Horton

Ryan Wilkinson wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT
>
> FOR AUCTION:
>
> A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
> accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
> design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
> fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.
>
> Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
> and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
> of money.
>
> Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Worth a lot of money? I gave mine away a few years ago, and figured I
got what it was worth

Lisa

foolinyu

"Ryan Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT
>
> FOR AUCTION:
>
> A 1983 GRiD Compass Computer 1101, with case, manuals &
> accessories. This is the first ever portable computer of a clamshell
> design, and was extremely popular with the military and with NASA. In
> fact, this model was the first portable computer in space.
>
> Revolutionary features include magnetic bubble memory, a 1200bps modem
> and a crystal-clear gas plasma display. These babies are worth a lot
> of money.
>
> Excellent condition, guaranteed NOT DOA, both manuals included.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

DOS or CPM? Guaranteed NOT DOA? How's the battery after 21 years?

I have the Grid 1720, super fine laptop in its days and still works, but not
worth much now.

William F. Adams

GRiD had a couple of different options for operating systems in their initial
systems, CCOS (Compass Computer Operating System) and MS-DOS. There was also a
``GRiDMaster'' line of programs which could be had on ROM chips, unimaginately
named they included things like, ``GRiDwrite''.

I was always kind of bummed for having gotten a system w/ the gas plasma
display instead of the electroluminescent LCD, and an internal floppy instead
of HD (they had a line of really cool peripherals which all stacked on top of
each other). Oh well, didn't miss the GRiD much once I got my ThinkPad 755C and
docking station, and miss it all even less since getting a Fujitsu Stylistic.

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams