VLC 1.1.12 Intrudes at Startup

Joe

I just noticed that VLC 1.1.12 starts right after a Logout-Login, and
also after a restart.

I'm on a PowerPC QuickSilver 867 MHz with OS 10.5.8.

I also have VLC 2.0.3 installed, which is terribly buggy for my setup,
but it has some new features, such as a sharpness control, which are
interesting to play with.

I have trashed the file
~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist

and I have also trashed the folder
~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc

and I have also trashed the folder
~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc

and still the VLC 1.1.12 controller appears on the desktop.

I clicked its play button in order to see if there was a particular
video that might be causing this, but all that happened was VLC opened
its open dialog.

Is there something else I should do/try to exorcise this unwanted
startup behavior?

Thanks,

--- Joe
20120806 1:54am

Joe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just noticed that VLC 1.1.12 starts right after a Logout-Login, and
> also after a restart.
>
> I'm on a PowerPC QuickSilver 867 MHz with OS 10.5.8.
>
> I also have VLC 2.0.3 installed, which is terribly buggy for my setup,
> but it has some new features, such as a sharpness control, which are
> interesting to play with.
>
> I have trashed the file
> ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist
>
> and I have also trashed the folder
> ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc
>
> and I have also trashed the folder
> ~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc
>
> and still the VLC 1.1.12 controller appears on the desktop.
>
> I clicked its play button in order to see if there was a particular
> video that might be causing this, but all that happened was VLC opened
> its open dialog.
>
> Is there something else I should do/try to exorcise this unwanted
> startup behavior?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --- Joe
> 20120806 1:54am

I solved the startup problem:

I have never set any items or apps to open at startup, so I tried to
find some kind of startup folder. No luck.

Searching a lengthy OS Leopard pdf for the term "startup", it told me
about "Login Items". Sure enough, VLC 1.1.12 was listed in there.

I don't know how or when it got in there, but removing it has exorcised
this startup beast.

--- Joe

Ant

On 8/6/2012 2:44 AM PT, Joe typed:

> I solved the startup problem:
>
> I have never set any items or apps to open at startup, so I tried to
> find some kind of startup folder. No luck.
>
> Searching a lengthy OS Leopard pdf for the term "startup", it told me
> about "Login Items". Sure enough, VLC 1.1.12 was listed in there.
>
> I don't know how or when it got in there, but removing it has exorcised
> this startup beast.

I have seen this happen with other programs like Firefox v3.6.x in Mac
OS X 10.5.8. Annoying!
--
"To the gods I am an ant, but to the ants, I am a god." --unknown
| |o o| |

vlc player vix Apple 2 01-28-2007 07:39 PM
FLV file plays in VLC, but no audio? John E. Apple 10 12-11-2006 09:47 PM
VLC and gamma DaveC Apple 2 08-10-2005 09:01 PM
Scrambled audio in QuickTime, nothing in MPlayer, okay in VLC Tim Murray Apple 0 03-04-2005 06:07 AM
Auto-launching VLC w/ Safari? Apple Strudel Apple 9 10-08-2003 12:56 AM