VNF3-250 Sound: Use NVidia or CMedia?

frodo@theshire.org

Which sound driver set should I use, the NForce Audio drivers or the
CMedia drivers? Are there major diff's or advantages to one over the
other?

TIA

Ed

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:07:07 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Which sound driver set should I use, the NForce Audio drivers or the
>CMedia drivers? Are there major diff's or advantages to one over the
>other?
>
>TIA

Do the nforce drivers even support C-Media? I thought those were just
for Nvidia sound chips (Soundstorm).

I have an Audigy 2 in my VNF3-250, don't care much for those onboard
sounds chips that eat up CPU cycles.

Earl

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which sound driver set should I use, the NForce Audio drivers or the
> CMedia drivers? Are there major diff's or advantages to one over the
> other?
>
> TIA

Chaintech seems to have a problem using the stuff built in to nforce
chipsets, like the sound. You have to use the cmedia driver because you
don't have nforce sound.

frodo@theshire.org

Earl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Chaintech seems to have a problem using the stuff built in to nforce
> chipsets, like the sound. You have to use the cmedia driver because you
> don't have nforce sound.

Well, I did try the nVidia Audio driver first, and it did work (or seemed
to). The environment stuff didn't seem to do anything tho, they all
sounded exactly the same. And the microphone was lousy/weak.

So I installed the CMedia (w/o first uninstalling the nVidia - dumb, I
know). It seems to work fine, tho not as "pretty" an interface. I did
uninstall nVida afterwards, as it didn't exisit in Device Manager at all,
yet the add/remove entry was still there (and all the files).

Thanks.