Vostro 1500 laptop memory

Ed

Just for the heck of it, I looked around for upgrade memory. I bought this
with 2GB in late 2007.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-...-upgrades.html

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)

....shows that 4GB is about $70. Generic elsewhere was around $50. I would have
thought it'd be cheaper. In fact, I think I've seen people online saying that
they get 8GB of modern memory for ~$35.

Why is the memory for my Vostro so expensive still?

Ed

On 3/23/2012 11:56 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>>
>> Just for the heck of it, I looked around for upgrade memory. I bought this
>> with 2GB in late 2007.
>>
>> http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-...-upgrades.html
>>
>> Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
>>
>> ...shows that 4GB is about $70. Generic elsewhere was around $50. I would have
>> thought it'd be cheaper. In fact, I think I've seen people online saying that
>> they get 8GB of modern memory for ~$35.
>>
>> Why is the memory for my Vostro so expensive still?

> Memory upgrade won't help XP, or anyway not much (not clear on whether some use can't be
> gotten for up to 4GB in XP Pro or not.) 2gb is where a 32 bit int changes sign, and they
> seem to have coded for ints that don't do that.
>
> 4gb is where a 32 bit integer and 32 bit pointer roll over, signed or not.
>
> At work we have some laptops running XP (downgrade) with 4gb but I don't observe that
> they're faster.
>
> XP task manager reports you're using about double what you're in fact using, in case
> you're using that to gauge that you could use more.

Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

My primary problem is that Firefox has gotten to be such a memory hog. I used
to have 80 or more tabs open when doing research. But now, once I have 30
open, my memory is over 70% and my HD light is coming on all the time. Plus,
it starts to really use up the CPU then. HD thrashing can go on steadily for
minutes and minutes - with Resource Monitor showing pagefile.sys as the
reason. Closing tabs in FF often results in no memory release.

Part of the problem, I know, is also bloated webpages.

I've looked into using Chrome or IE, neither seem to allow for tags on
bookmarks, as an important problem for me. I don't like Chrome's minimalist
lack of controls at all. Opera won't even reliably shut itself down - I have
to often use Task Manager. Maybe I'll look at Safari again - for windows it
seemed like the orphan stepchild (and would use up CPU just doing nothing
years ago).

FF's UI is great, but the inner workings are inferior.

Ron Hardin

--
(E-Mail Removed)

Nick

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.

See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:

<http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>

Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the OS will
only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.

A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can support.

--
Nick <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ed

On 3/23/2012 3:10 PM, Nick wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new then.

> How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.
>
> See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:
>
> <http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>
>
> Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the OS will
> only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.
>
> A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can support.

yep, when I'd looked up my memory at Crucial I saw that and it reminded me of
how 32 bit couldn't use memory over a certain limit and why I hadn't ordered
more back then.

Still, my main question was about why the price is still so high. Just was
wondering.

BillW50

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:11:03 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Ed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, I guess I could have added that I have Vista - it was new
>>then.

> How much memory your OS can handle depends on which version you have.
>
> See this page in Crucial's Knowledge Base:
>
> <http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=3743>
>
> Note that if you put 4 GB of RAM in a computer with a 32-bit OS, the
> OS will
> only see/use 3 to 3.5 GB of the RAM.
>
> A 64-bit OS can use as much memory as your computer hardware can
> support.

Actually Windows 2000 (all SP) and XP SP0/1 can use more. Later SP of
Windows was limited to 4GB because some drivers couldn't operate in
addresses above 4GB. Although some RAMDisks still can use the RAM past
4GB under all Windows XP/Vista/7 and probably Windows 8 32-bit versions.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows Live Mail 2009