VP6 and CPU troubles, any help?

OxygeN

Hello all!

I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!

I'll explain:
I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
worked fine.
Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.

OK.
I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
around the screen).
OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.

Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
of my CPUs?
I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!

Thank you all!

Colon Terminus

"OxygeN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>
> I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!
>
> I'll explain:
> I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
> worked fine.
> Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
> to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.
>
> OK.
> I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
> machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
> around the screen).
> OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.
>
> Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
> of my CPUs?
> I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
> I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!
>
> Thank you all!

The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad cap"
problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging or leaks. If
ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller ones must be
replaced.

GinTonix

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> kirjoitti viestissä
news:lr42d.1431970$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "OxygeN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I'm about to get crazy with the things happening to me!
> >
> > I'll explain:
> > I've got my ol' good Pentium-II 600 EB mounted on a QDI MoBo and it
> > worked fine.
> > Now, I got my hands on an ABIT VP-6 MoBo (the great thing I would like
> > to use is the HPT Raid Controller) with a Pentium-III 933 MHz on it.
> >
> > OK.
> > I stick that stuff into my case and no Windows gets installed: the
> > machine freezes on the loading screen (the one with the stripe running
> > around the screen).
> > OK, I then mount my P-III 600 EB on it but no changes are there.
> >
> > Now, can anybody help me to correctly configure BIOS' settings for one
> > of my CPUs?
> > I really would like to get that P-III 933 working, but if it won't work,
> > I'll stick with my P-III 600 EB! Just this MoBo (VP6) I want to use!
> >
> > Thank you all!

> The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad cap"
> problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging or leaks.

If
> ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller ones must be
> replaced.

If he has an ethernet card connected Windoze might doze off right where he
describes it happening, if there is no network connection present. Check it
out first. A couple of years ago (well, maybe more than a couple) I thought
I had a dead MoBo in my hands, it stuck at the same spot. I decided to give
it one more try and it stuck again. I went out for a cigarette to ponder
what to do next with the pile of scrap. When I came back, Win was happily
running. I repeated the booting process and found out the machine would just
hang on to wait for the network to appear posing dead while waiting. It
continued booting in a few minutes. This is not happening with all
MoBo-Ethernet card combos and I have not found out any exact rules for it
taking place or not. The only rule of thumb I have found is that if the
symptoms are present, then the 1st boot without network present seems to
take the longest time. The record is something like seven or eight minutes,
IIRC this was with an old P90.

--
gt

OxygeN

In data Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:22:50 +0300
"GinTonix" <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:

> If he has an ethernet card connected Windoze might doze off right
> where he describes it happening, if there is no network connection
> present. Check it

Well, the NIC has been put in only later, actually I left that "PC" (it
ain't one, until it's booting *at least* Linux) with Windows trying to
boot for a whole damn night on! Nothing happened... therefore I guess
the NIC ain't an issue.

Thanks anyway!

OxygeN

In data Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:42:09 GMT
"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:

> The VP6 was one of those boards that suffered from the notorious "bad
> cap" problem. Inspect the taller capacitors on the board for bulging
> or leaks. If ANY caps are swollen or leaking then ALL of the taller
> ones must be replaced.

1) do you mean the 12 capacitors put between the two sockets?
2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10 hrs.)

Regards.

OxygeN

In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:24:25 +0200
OxygeN <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:

> 2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
> fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
> actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10
> hrs.)

Would a "broken" capacitor in some way inhibit or alter the MoBo's
ability to multiply frequency?

BigBadger

> In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:24:25 +0200
> OxygeN <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:
>
>> 2) actually my System is running, this way: the 600EB is working just
>> fine at 450 MHz, Slackware 10 did finish it's installation and it
>> actually boots up cleanly and lets me work (it has been on for 10
>> hrs.)

> Would a "broken" capacitor in some way inhibit or alter the MoBo's
> ability to multiply frequency?

No, but it would seriously impact the boards stability which would prevent
it running at full speed. It is very likely to be a capacitor failure
problem check them all for slightly bulging tops.

OxygeN

In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:11:03 +0100
"BigBadger" <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:

> check them all for slightly bulging tops.

It is what you were pointing at: 3, maybe 4 caps are bulged on their
tops :-(

How much is it difficult to do the substitution of the damaged caps?

Regards

BigBadger

> In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:11:03 +0100
> "BigBadger" <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:
>
>> check them all for slightly bulging tops.

> It is what you were pointing at: 3, maybe 4 caps are bulged on their
> tops :-(
>
> How much is it difficult to do the substitution of the damaged caps?
>
> Regards

It's reasonably straight forward if you have some soldering experience and a
decent, preferably temp controlled, soldering iron. You would want to change
them all, not just the ones showing obvious signs of failure. Check this
site: www.motherboardrepair.com

OxygeN

In data Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:03:35 +0100
"BigBadger" <(E-Mail Removed)> scriveva:

> You would want to change
> them all, not just the ones showing obvious signs of failure. Check
> this site: www.motherboardrepair.com

Well, why does this site differ from the one you mentioned, in terms of
caps capacitances?!?

http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm

And, as far as I can see, mi MoBo (VP6) has the latter ones (1500uF
6.3V)... :-o

VP6 and dual-CPU OxygeN Abit 6 10-06-2004 03:37 AM
Abit VP6 - SMT devices around CPU sockets Rohan Beckles Abit 5 08-04-2004 12:03 AM
VP6 and large Maxtor drive problem Doug Farrell Abit 3 11-05-2003 04:25 PM
VP6, linux and using a PCI IDE controller Doug Farrell Abit 0 11-04-2003 07:52 PM
Random shutdown on VP6 mainboard AGHABACHIAN Abit 0 07-08-2003 06:34 PM