w98 toshiba 2100cds modem driver install does not see COM2

When I try to install the Lucent modem on the toshiba 2100cds running
w98/win98, the modem driver install
window sequence only shows COM1, not COM2.

How can I install the W98 Lucent modem driver
on COM2, given this? What can I change to make
W98 "see" COM2?

Thanks...

Hooda Gest

"z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsyKKa.436$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> When I try to install the Lucent modem on the toshiba 2100cds running
> w98/win98, the modem driver install
> window sequence only shows COM1, not COM2.
>
> How can I install the W98 Lucent modem driver
> on COM2, given this? What can I change to make
> W98 "see" COM2?

Without the modem installed, how many serial ports does the Toshiba show in
Device Manager? If none, then you cannot (and don't need to) install it on
anything but Com1.

If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
install on Com2.

If there is a Com2 showing then it's because the serial port was designated
with the Com2 address in the system's BIOS. You could change that to Com1
address and then the modem will have Com2 free to use.

--
Hooda Gest
"In a New York minute, everything can change..."

"Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> wrote in message
news:6dMKa.23334$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
> install on Com2.

That is what is showing right at the moment.

The trouble is, when I go into the modem installation
windows, the modem installation windows do not
let me install on anything but COM1.

Is the way to do this to modify temporarily the BIOS?
(Any hints appreciated.)

Hooda Gest

"z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_hNKa.1416$(E-Mail Removed) gy.com...

> --
>
> "Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> wrote in message
> news:6dMKa.23334$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > If there is already a Com1 then the modem should not install there but
> > install on Com2.

> That is what is showing right at the moment.
>
> The trouble is, when I go into the modem installation
> windows, the modem installation windows do not
> let me install on anything but COM1.
>
> Is the way to do this to modify temporarily the BIOS?
> (Any hints appreciated.)

The modem should be PnP and not assign itself to an existing com port. Check
the configuration of the modem, make sure the jumpers are properly set for
PnP operation.

If that is all as it should be, I suggest you go into the BIOS, set the
existing serial port to be Com2, and then let the modem take Com1. It won't
cause any harm and will work just as well there.

--

Hooda Gest
"The only thing I do immediately is procrastinate."