I want to enable root on a Lion

Torsten Jørgensen

I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
so what then?

Can you become root user on a Lion at all?

/Torsten

Sara

In article <2012041815001482727-info@stconinccom>,
Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
> so what then?
>
> Can you become root user on a Lion at all?
>
> /Torsten

Apple says yes:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>

--
Sara

Cats cats cats cats

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
> so what then?
>
> Can you become root user on a Lion at all?

what are you really trying to do that you think you need root?

Jamie Kahn Genet

Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
> so what then?
>
> Can you become root user on a Lion at all?
>
> /Torsten

Working in root is a great way to 'root' your Mac...

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <2012041815001482727-info@stconinccom>,
> Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
> > so what then?
> >
> > Can you become root user on a Lion at all?
> >
> > /Torsten

> I have to ask: Why bother?

I can think of a couple cases quickly.

It can be useful for machines that have a simple task to perform and
only one administrator. In such a case, the complexity of multiple user
roles can be more of a risk than an asset. Unix ACLs are error prone
and Apple's poorly supported ACL on top of that is an absolute nightmare
to keep correct.

Server consoles commonly have a root login for emergency maintenance
without having to use single-user mode. (Remote root access can be
disabled.)

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <4f8ee410$0$16194$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I have to ask: Why bother?

> > I can think of a couple cases quickly.
> >
> > It can be useful for machines that have a simple task to perform and
> > only one administrator. In such a case, the complexity of multiple user
> > roles can be more of a risk than an asset. Unix ACLs are error prone
> > and Apple's poorly supported ACL on top of that is an absolute nightmare
> > to keep correct.
> >
> > Server consoles commonly have a root login for emergency maintenance
> > without having to use single-user mode. (Remote root access can be
> > disabled.)

> Explain how enabling the root user account would be preferable to using
> the sudo facility which is already at your disposal.

You wouldn't be at the console running emergency maintenance if sudo on
a remote terminal worked. The biggest difference is that the root user
has a small amount of spare resources reserved for it. A resource leak
(files, memory, processes, sockets, etc.) will lock out an admin but not
root.

Tom Stiller

In article <4f8f8d6d$0$16115$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <4f8ee410$0$16194$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Kevin McMurtrie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I can think of a couple cases quickly.
> > >
> > > It can be useful for machines that have a simple task to perform and
> > > only one administrator. In such a case, the complexity of multiple user
> > > roles can be more of a risk than an asset. Unix ACLs are error prone
> > > and Apple's poorly supported ACL on top of that is an absolute nightmare
> > > to keep correct.
> > >
> > > Server consoles commonly have a root login for emergency maintenance
> > > without having to use single-user mode. (Remote root access can be
> > > disabled.)

> > Explain how enabling the root user account would be preferable to using
> > the sudo facility which is already at your disposal.

> You wouldn't be at the console running emergency maintenance if sudo on
> a remote terminal worked. The biggest difference is that the root user
> has a small amount of spare resources reserved for it. A resource leak
> (files, memory, processes, sockets, etc.) will lock out an admin but not
> root.

I can't recall the last time I saw a unix system administrator permit
remote login to the root. Doing so provides no accountability.

Responsible administrators require an ordinary user login followed by
either a 'su' to switch to the root account or 'sudo' for one-time
privilege escalation.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

Sara

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <2012041815001482727-info@stconinccom>,
> > Torsten Jørgensen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I did it with a Tiger, but Lion does not have NetInfo,
> > > so what then?
> > >
> > > Can you become root user on a Lion at all?
> > >
> > > /Torsten

> > Apple says yes:
> > <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US>

> For most people, not only is this completely unnecessary, but doing so
> is anywhere from not the best idea to a really bad idea.

It was, however, an answer to the question asked.

--
Sara

Peeps squeaks, Billy is silly and as for Armageddon...

Sara

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,

> > > For most people, not only is this completely unnecessary, but doing so
> > > is anywhere from not the best idea to a really bad idea.

> > It was, however, an answer to the question asked.

> Indeed. I just think it's important when someone asks a question about
> something like this to provide a little guidance regarding security and
> safety.

I tend to assume people are grown-ups. If they want to screw up their
machines it's their own problem. I realise this isn't everyone's point
of view of course.

--

Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> > Sara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > It was, however, an answer to the question asked.

> > Indeed. I just think it's important when someone asks a question about
> > something like this to provide a little guidance regarding security and
> > safety.

> I tend to assume people are grown-ups. If they want to screw up their
> machines it's their own problem. I realise this isn't everyone's point
> of view of course.

Being a grown up means nothing IME :-) I've seen otherwise mature and
sensible adults lose their marbles plonked down in front of a computer,
and do some amazingly illogical and profoundly stupid things.