Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Want to Upgrade from IC7-G

 
 
CareBear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would like
to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR ram. I am
open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right thing to do. I'm
also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.

I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware lately so
I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
CareBear


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Hopkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
"CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>
> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware lately
> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.


What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a reason
to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in existence.

If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is to
swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to do
that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other peripherals too,
as most of the options you're likely to be looking at will be based on PCI
Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be looking at large scale
changes to your hard disks and optical drives if you're still using a large
number of parallel ATA devices, while you may also be looking at a new PSU.

So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing power,
a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you say
you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power. As
such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything - unless,
as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that the IC7-G
doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it as a
peripheral than changing the board.
--


Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
(replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CareBear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2006, 12:48 AM
"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>>
>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware lately
>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

>
> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
> wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a
> reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
> performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
> existence.
>
> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is
> to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to
> do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other peripherals
> too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at will be based
> on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be looking at large
> scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if you're still using
> a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may also be looking at a
> new PSU.
>
> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you
> say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
> processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power.
> As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything -
> unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that the
> IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it as a
> peripheral than changing the board.
> --
>
>
> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>
>


Richard:

I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade Lately I've noticed some
brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming from
but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still trying to
determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case I may go
back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.

Thanks,

--
CareBear


 
Reply With Quote
 
Amir Facade
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2006, 01:13 PM

"CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OkM9h.2138$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
>>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
>>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
>>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>>>
>>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware
>>> lately
>>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.

>>
>> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your underlying
>> wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of it see a
>> reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a better
>> performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
>> existence.
>>
>> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense is
>> to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going to
>> do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
>> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
>> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be
>> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if
>> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may
>> also be looking at a new PSU.
>>
>> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
>> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
>> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet, you
>> say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep your
>> processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more power.
>> As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change anything -
>> unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you want that
>> the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off adding it
>> as a peripheral than changing the board.
>> --
>>
>>
>> Richard Hopkins
>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>>
>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>>
>>

>
> Richard:
>
> I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade Lately I've noticed some
> brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
> from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still trying
> to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case I may
> go back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> CareBear
>


Care Bear,

You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.

Amir


 
Reply With Quote
 
CareBear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2006, 01:24 PM

"Amir Facade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OkM9h.2138$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>>>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
>>>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
>>>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
>>>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>>>>
>>>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware
>>>> lately
>>>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.
>>>
>>> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your
>>> underlying wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of
>>> it see a reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a
>>> better performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
>>> existence.
>>>
>>> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense
>>> is to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going
>>> to do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
>>> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
>>> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be
>>> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if
>>> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may
>>> also be looking at a new PSU.
>>>
>>> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
>>> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
>>> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet,
>>> you say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep
>>> your processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more
>>> power. As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change
>>> anything - unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you
>>> want that the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off
>>> adding it as a peripheral than changing the board.
>>> --
>>>
>>>
>>> Richard Hopkins
>>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>>>
>>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Richard:
>>
>> I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade Lately I've noticed some
>> brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
>> from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still
>> trying to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case
>> I may go back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> CareBear
>>

>
> Care Bear,
>
> You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
> I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.
>
> Amir
>
>


LOL...I wish it was that simple. The keyboard is ok...my case sits under a
desk.

--
CareBear


 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey I got a brown spot inside my case using the ic7-g.....now you got
me thinking.

BTW Brown spot is hard and crusty.



On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:24:55 -0600, "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Amir Facade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OkM9h.2138$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>>>>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I would
>>>>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS DDR
>>>>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
>>>>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware
>>>>> lately
>>>>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.
>>>>
>>>> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your
>>>> underlying wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face of
>>>> it see a reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a
>>>> better performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board in
>>>> existence.
>>>>
>>>> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense
>>>> is to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're going
>>>> to do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
>>>> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
>>>> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also be
>>>> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives if
>>>> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you may
>>>> also be looking at a new PSU.
>>>>
>>>> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got to
>>>> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
>>>> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet,
>>>> you say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to keep
>>>> your processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need more
>>>> power. As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change
>>>> anything - unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific you
>>>> want that the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better off
>>>> adding it as a peripheral than changing the board.
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Richard Hopkins
>>>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>>>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>>>>
>>>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Richard:
>>>
>>> I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade Lately I've noticed some
>>> brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
>>> from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still
>>> trying to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the case
>>> I may go back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> CareBear
>>>

>>
>> Care Bear,
>>
>> You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
>> I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.
>>
>> Amir
>>
>>

>
>LOL...I wish it was that simple. The keyboard is ok...my case sits under a
>desk.


 
Reply With Quote
 
CareBear
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2007, 01:37 AM
I am still not sure where the brown liquid came from. My case sits under a
desk so it is definitely not coffee, etc. The computer is still functioning
ok but the brown liquid does make me a little nervous. I envision one day
coming home from work and logging on my computer and poof, nothing? I'm
keeping my fingers crossed and make a backup of my hard drive every week,
just in case (no pun intended).

--
CareBear

"Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey I got a brown spot inside my case using the ic7-g.....now you got
> me thinking.
>
> BTW Brown spot is hard and crusty.
>
>
>
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 07:24:55 -0600, "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Amir Facade" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OkM9h.2138$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> "CareBear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>>>>>> I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my IC7-G to another mb. I
>>>>>> would
>>>>>> like to continue using my P4 2.8 Northwood cpu and 1gb Corsair XMS
>>>>>> DDR
>>>>>> ram. I am open to changing the processor and ram if it is the right
>>>>>> thing to do. I'm also using a GeForce FX 5900 AGP video card.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I'm not a heavy gamer. I haven't been keeping up with mb hardware
>>>>>> lately
>>>>>> so I don't know what's the best brand/model available.
>>>>>
>>>>> What's your reason for wanting to upgrade? Personally, if your
>>>>> underlying wish is to retain the CPU and memory, I can't on the face
>>>>> of
>>>>> it see a reason to change the motherboard, as there simply isn't a
>>>>> better performing/featured Socket 478/DDR compatible Pentium 4 board
>>>>> in
>>>>> existence.
>>>>>
>>>>> If you are going to upgrade, the only solution that really makes sense
>>>>> is to swap the entire processor/memory/motherboard unit. If you're
>>>>> going
>>>>> to do that, you're probably looking at a new video card and other
>>>>> peripherals too, as most of the options you're likely to be looking at
>>>>> will be based on PCI Express rather than AGP/PCI, while you may also
>>>>> be
>>>>> looking at large scale changes to your hard disks and optical drives
>>>>> if
>>>>> you're still using a large number of parallel ATA devices, while you
>>>>> may
>>>>> also be looking at a new PSU.
>>>>>
>>>>> So, before you talk yourself into an upgrade - again, I've really got
>>>>> to
>>>>> ask, what are you looking for from it? If you need more raw computing
>>>>> power, a motherboard upgrade alone won't give you what you want. Yet,
>>>>> you say you're not a big gamer, and as you're initially looking to
>>>>> keep
>>>>> your processor and RAM. That to me says you don't really want/need
>>>>> more
>>>>> power. As such I'd tend to say that you don't really need to change
>>>>> anything - unless, as mentioned earlier, there's something specific
>>>>> you
>>>>> want that the IC7-G doesn't do, in which case you're probably better
>>>>> off
>>>>> adding it as a peripheral than changing the board.
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Richard Hopkins
>>>>> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>>>>> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>>>>>
>>>>> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Richard:
>>>>
>>>> I didn't know I needed a reason to upgrade Lately I've noticed some
>>>> brown liquid in the bottom of my case. I can't tell where it's coming
>>>> from but my first thought was capacitors are going bad. I am still
>>>> trying to determine where the liquid is coming from. If that is the
>>>> case
>>>> I may go back with a new IC7-G or whatever is most feasible.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> CareBear
>>>>
>>>
>>> Care Bear,
>>>
>>> You gotta stop using over those Starbuck cups.
>>> I got brown liquid on my keyboard that way.
>>>
>>> Amir
>>>
>>>

>>
>>LOL...I wish it was that simple. The keyboard is ok...my case sits under
>>a
>>desk.

>




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you want a new Mac, but don't want Lion, you better get one quickly. Michelle Steiner Apple 3 06-21-2011 12:37 PM
Abit RMA asks if I want to upgrade Mortimer Abit 3 02-03-2006 04:18 PM
Dont buy Dell Laptops if you want a product that you want to last longer! ooha Dell 7 07-06-2004 02:27 PM
Newbie>>Please help <<KT7A Raid>>Using Athlon-1.1MHz socket A - Want to upgrade What is the fastest Athlon that will work TIA dingbolt Abit 1 02-12-2004 12:22 AM
Upgrade from KT7 - Want RAID & USB 2.0 Greg Lovern Abit 6 09-12-2003 02:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment