Warning: Mountain Lion Causing Freezes

Skylamar

Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.

I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
releases of OS X.

But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it.
It literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
twice in one day.

I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with
4GB of RAM.

Other people are having the same freezing problem and there's a
discussion thread in the Apple community forums:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/19101489#19101489

There doesn't seem to be an answer as the problem is occurring with a
variety of Macs. Some people have done a clean install of Mountain Lion
and are still having the problem.

Some people have also been testing 10.8.1, which is being released
soon, since some of the people are developers. And apparently 10.8.1
doesn't solve the problem either.

In the forums, some people are having other symptoms that are
acoompanying the freezes. But thankfully my Mac is running well except
for the freezing.

I called Apple and let them know about the freezes. If you already have
Mountain Lion and are experiencing the freezes, I recommend calling
them as well so they can see a lot of people are having the issue:
(800) 275-2273

Thanks.

Sky

Alan Browne

On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
> Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
> Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
>
> I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
> the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
> releases of OS X.
>
> But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
> force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
> literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
> twice in one day.
>
> I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
> of RAM.
>
> Other people are having the same freezing problem and there's a
> discussion thread in the Apple community forums:
> https://discussions.apple.com/message/19101489#19101489
>
> There doesn't seem to be an answer as the problem is occurring with a
> variety of Macs. Some people have done a clean install of Mountain Lion
> and are still having the problem.
>
> Some people have also been testing 10.8.1, which is being released soon,
> since some of the people are developers. And apparently 10.8.1 doesn't
> solve the problem either.

Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
they get it right.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
>> Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
>> Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
>>
>> I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
>> the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
>> releases of OS X.
>>
>> But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
>> force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
>> literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
>> twice in one day.
>>
>> I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
>> of RAM.

Hmm. I have a 2007 iMac with 8GB and no problems. It's been very happy
running 10.8 (and the runaway Safari problem we had on that machine in
10.7 is gone).

> Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
> likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
> they get it right.

It seems like *very* few people are having this problem.

I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

--
I CAN'T SEE DEAD PEOPLE Bart chalkboard Ep. BABF05

Skylamar

On 2012-08-20 00:35:06 +0000, Lewis said:

> I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
> apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

I just know that my Mac crashed maybe three or four times a year when I
was running Lion. Now it's every day. I have no idea how rare the
problem is. I'm guessing many people with the problem don't use Mac
discussion boards or Usenet.

Lewis

In message <201208192018157121-nothingtoseehere@movealongnet>
Skylamar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2012-08-20 00:35:06 +0000, Lewis said:

>> I *have* seen behavior like this in the past (mouse works, can't switch
>> apps) but it's been rare and it's not confined to 10.8.

> I just know that my Mac crashed maybe three or four times a year when I
> was running Lion. Now it's every day. I have no idea how rare the
> problem is. I'm guessing many people with the problem don't use Mac
> discussion boards or Usenet.

My mini runs Plex full time and that's pretty much all it does (well, it
also converts video from a raw stream to h.264, so that's probably its
main task, really) and is a lot more stable under 10.8. I've only had to
reboot it once since the beginning of July when I put the GM on it and
that was because Plex stopped responding and would not allow itself to
be force-quit. As far as I could tell, the rest of the system was still
functioning. Under 10.7, it needed a reboot every four days or so. Maybe
seven at the most.

The MacBookPro (2009) has not needed a reboot at all, though I have shut it
down to swap drives. Its use is pretty light (IRC, Terminal.app, BBEdit,
Safari, Mail). The aforementioned iMac has been up 14 days, but I might
be wrong on its vintage (I mostly deal with it remotely).

Checking, it's newer than I thought, an iMac 11,2 (which looks to be from
2010).

Checking other machines it looks like the oldest one I have running 10.8
is my 2009 MacBookPro, though there are several imacs about the same
vintage. Very happy with 10.8 on all machines though.

--
'Oook?' 'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk! Whoops! Sawdust
and treacle! Put that in your herring and smoke it!' 'I don't think he

Skylamar

On 2012-08-20 06:10:33 +0000, Lewis said:

> Very happy with 10.8 on all machines though.

Yeah, other than the freezing, I do like Mountain Lion better. I don't
know if it's my imagination, but it seems like my Mac boots up faster.
I'm just hoping the freezing issue is solved. But, so far, there's no
clear-cut evidence on what is causing the problems. You're lucky you're
not having any issues.

There are some other people in the Apple discussion forums who are
having lots of other issues in addition to freezing. Some people claim
their machines are extremely slow. And some also say their Mac is
freezing up much more regularly than mine is, to the point that their
Mac is unusable. I would be livid if that were happening to me.

The issue might have to do with how hot my Mac is getting, or due to
the fans. Someone seemed to think that's a possibility. I know that my
Mac isn't freezing up early in the day. It's been freezing after I've
been using it for a number of hours.

Alan Browne

On 2012-08-19 20:35 , Lewis wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2012-08-19 19:39 , Skylamar wrote:
>>> Hi. This is just a warnning to people who haven't yet upgraded to
>>> Mountain Lion: it's causing regular freezes on some computers.
>>>
>>> I upgraded a few days after Mountain Lion was released because most of
>>> the reviews I read said it was solid, more solid than previous first
>>> releases of OS X.
>>>
>>> But my Mac is freezing up at least once a day, every day. I have to
>>> force shutdown. I can still move my the mouse pointer, but that's it. It
>>> literally has happened every day. Although, only once has it frozen
>>> twice in one day.
>>>
>>> I have an IMac circa late 2007 -- it has a Core 2 Duo processor with 4GB
>>> of RAM.

> Hmm. I have a 2007 iMac with 8GB and no problems. It's been very happy
> running 10.8 (and the runaway Safari problem we had on that machine in
> 10.7 is gone).

Don't you mean 6 GB? The 2007 iMac is spec'd for 4 GB, but will handle
6 (my iMac has 6). Per various websites it will not work at 8.

Bank 0: 4 GB
Bank 1: 2 GB

If it will handle 8, I'll order a 4 GB module forthwith.

iMac 7,1 / 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

>> Why I wait a month or so esp. as my iMac is also a late 2007 and this is
>> likely the last major OS upgrade for this machine - I can wait until
>> they get it right.

> It seems like *very* few people are having this problem.

Several at the apple discussion forum as linked.

I don't want to add to the numbers. I'll wait until a couple minor
updates go out and until the griping about the issue goes down.

It's not a big rush item for me to be sure.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.

Lion Server -> Mountain Lion Server on New HW: Upgrade or Migrate? glawrie Apple 4 03-01-2013 10:03 PM
System update installations seem to fail after I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion Juan I. Cahis Apple 5 12-16-2012 01:31 PM
Mountain Lion Warren Oates Apple 752 03-07-2012 02:35 AM
Yes, Mountain Lion is 10.8 Fred Moore Apple 15 02-23-2012 10:33 AM
Some Macs that run Lion won't run Mountain Lion Michelle Steiner Apple 15 02-19-2012 07:07 PM