WD Raptor on NF7s 2.0?

Ron Marraccini

I'm thinking about adding a WD Raptor drive to give me a bit more life on my
old workhorse NF7s 2.0 system. (mobile 2500 @3200, 1GB Mushkin 2-2-2
"special")

I currently have the WD 80gb Jb unit (IDE)

I know there were some problems/limitations w/ the onboard sata controller
so I was wondering if an add on card might be better (or possible)

Also which raptor would be better for my system - the 74gb unit or the
150gb?

Is it worth it?

Suggestions?

Thanks

--
Ron M.

Ron Marraccini

Anyone?

--
Ron A. Marraccini
Legal Investigations - PSID #33657
"Ron Marraccini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c3f0c6$0$10297$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking about adding a WD Raptor drive to give me a bit more life on
> my
> old workhorse NF7s 2.0 system. (mobile 2500 @3200, 1GB Mushkin 2-2-2
> "special")
>
> I currently have the WD 80gb Jb unit (IDE)
>
> I know there were some problems/limitations w/ the onboard sata
> controller
> so I was wondering if an add on card might be better (or possible)
>
> Also which raptor would be better for my system - the 74gb unit or the
> 150gb?
>
> Is it worth it?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ron M.

farmuse

Ron Marraccini wrote:
> Anyone?

go for the 150, should work just fine and you can use it when you
upgrade. my sata port runs a seagate no problem.

melon

There's known issue with that board (and I believe NForce 2 chipset in
general) - corruption of data transfered between IDE and SATA may occur.
That happened to me (70gig sata Raptor and ata Maxtor), the cure for that is
to increase "EXT-P2P Discard Time" in BIOS. Performance may be slightly
impaired but it's the only known fix. To test for the corruption I created
large (couple gigs, at least larger than system memory to prevent data going
off the cache) RAR archive, then I moved it couple times back and forth
between the drives and then tested it for CRC errors.

--
melon

Użytkownik "Ron Marraccini" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
news:46c3f0c6$0$10297$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking about adding a WD Raptor drive to give me a bit more life on
> my
> old workhorse NF7s 2.0 system. (mobile 2500 @3200, 1GB Mushkin 2-2-2
> "special")
>
> I currently have the WD 80gb Jb unit (IDE)
>
> I know there were some problems/limitations w/ the onboard sata
> controller
> so I was wondering if an add on card might be better (or possible)
>
> Also which raptor would be better for my system - the 74gb unit or the
> 150gb?
>
> Is it worth it?
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ron M.

SumGuy

"melon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:famvj0$krd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's known issue with that board (and I believe NForce 2 chipset in
> general) - corruption of data transfered between IDE and SATA may occur.
> That happened to me (70gig sata Raptor and ata Maxtor), the cure for that
> is to increase "EXT-P2P Discard Time" in BIOS. Performance may be slightly
> impaired but it's the only known fix. To test for the corruption I created
> large (couple gigs, at least larger than system memory to prevent data
> going off the cache) RAR archive, then I moved it couple times back and
> forth between the drives and then tested it for CRC errors.

<snip>

I had that problem, but it was when I connected 2 SATA drives, the IDE
drives don't seem affected.

I did find a reference to the problem you speak of at the Silicon Image
site, and they say it is a BIOS issue that can be fixed through a BIOS
update, but ABIT were never great on following up with these kind of fixes
once a board is out of production.

Ron Marraccini

I am using a D26 Black MantaRay CPC modded Bios
at this time w/ no problems and I know to set the
EXT-P2P Discard Time to "1".
(I also have a Bios Savior)

Although I am using an AMD mobile 2500 OC'd @ 10.5 x200,
I plan on setting it to default when making the changeover.

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

--
Ron A. Marraccini

news:46d2ce88$1$12079$(E-Mail Removed)...

Raptor + IC7-Max3 Dave Edwards Abit 23 11-26-2004 06:33 PM
WD SATA (non-Raptor) drives at Fry's John Lewis Abit 0 09-27-2004 07:53 AM
KV8-Max3 WD-Raptor Miller1236 Abit 1 04-10-2004 09:16 PM
IS7 and Raptor Drive Scott Abit 6 02-22-2004 05:48 AM
WD Raptor - Real SATA? John Gardner Abit 97 10-24-2003 11:48 PM