Weird. Card receives radio signals when computer is off!

res0r89p

Hi,
I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model). I've noticed a
humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.When I turn up the
volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on top
of the humming sound. The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board. How can a
sound card receive radio signals by itself??? The only thing plugged into
the sound card is the speaker plug. Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when
it's turned on, by the way.
Peter Cowie

Folk

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:38:02 GMT, "res0r89p" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
> I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model). I've noticed a
>humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.When I turn up the
>volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on top
>of the humming sound. The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board. How can a
>sound card receive radio signals by itself??? The only thing plugged into
>the sound card is the speaker plug. Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when
>it's turned on, by the way.
>Peter Cowie

Are your speakers the Cambridge speakers branded by Creative? If so,
then it's your speakers picking up the radio stations, not your sound
card. I use to have those speakers and they did exactly the same
thing. Replaced them with some Klipsch speakers (sweet) and the
problem went away.

Philburg2

Easy solution, turn off the speakers. Can't pick up a signal if they're
off.
"Folk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:38:02 GMT, "res0r89p" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> > I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model). I've noticed

> >humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.When I turn up

the
> >volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on

top
> >of the humming sound. The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board. How

can a
> >sound card receive radio signals by itself??? The only thing plugged into
> >the sound card is the speaker plug. Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when
> >it's turned on, by the way.
> >Peter Cowie

> Are your speakers the Cambridge speakers branded by Creative? If so,
> then it's your speakers picking up the radio stations, not your sound
> card. I use to have those speakers and they did exactly the same
> thing. Replaced them with some Klipsch speakers (sweet) and the
> problem went away.

res0r89p

Hi,
Thanks for the Speaker tip. I didn't know speakers (I have some Accent
speakers) could do that. I found the source of the hum today, though. It
seems the speaker plug wasn't quite snug with the card. As soon as I pushed
it in a bit more, the hum disappeared and I have clean sound now.
Peter cowie
"res0r89p" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KbxQb.3507$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model). I've noticed a
> humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.When I turn up

the
> volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on

top
> of the humming sound. The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board. How can

> sound card receive radio signals by itself??? The only thing plugged into
> the sound card is the speaker plug. Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when
> it's turned on, by the way.
> Peter Cowie

ME

My set did the same, only I have the cusl2-c board. Lets see if the T7700's
do also.
ME'

.

res0r89p wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model). I've noticed a
> humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.When I turn up the
> volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on top
> of the humming sound. The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board. How can a
> sound card receive radio signals by itself??? The only thing plugged into
> the sound card is the speaker plug. Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when
> it's turned on, by the way.
> Peter Cowie

The problem probably isn't in the sound card. I'm guessing that there is
a powerful AM radio station transmiter near you. The audio cable is
acting like an antenna, and picking up this signal. If these wires are
*not* shielded, it would cause this, both the hum and the radio station
interference.

Suggest you try using a shielded cable, or maybe different speakers. If
you plug headphones in, instead of the speakers, does the noise go away?

In extreme cases of RF interence, a .01 uF capacitor can be soldered
across the audio input(s) to the amplified speakers.

Check the ground connection on the computer itself. I doubt that is the
problem, but it could cause hum if not properly grounded.

Mark

Nanaglyph

> > I have a weird issue with my SB Live card (the $42 model).

Price doesn't matter, all the SB Live cards are exactly the same circuit board,
they just solder on more in and out connectors to the more expensive ones. You
can do that yourself and save money by just purchasing the cheapest one and
soldering on your own connectors.

> I've noticed a
> > humming sound at times, even with the computer turned off.

Thus this has nothing to do with your soundcard or computer at all, since they
have no power going to them!

You obviously have self powered speakers.

> When I turn up the
> > volume on the speaker (computer off, mind you) I hear a radio station on top
> > of the humming sound.

Which AM radio station antenna do you live next to? You know, those big towers
with the red flashing light on top you can probably see from your house?

> The computer is a P3, 933, Asus CUV4x board.

The computer is turned off, thus who cares what kind it is, it is not even powered
up! If you didn't have it in your house, you would still have the problem.

> How can a
> > sound card receive radio signals by itself???

The sound card gets it's power from the computer, which you said was turned off,
thus the sound card has nothing to do with it, it is not even on.

> The only thing plugged into
> > the sound card is the speaker plug.

Unplug the self amplified speakers from the sound card and you probably still have
the problem. In fact, bring the computer and sound card to a friend's house in
another state, then go back home and find your speakers still have this problem.

> Thanks. The computer runs XP Pro-when

You should not be using anything other than win98se. Everything after that is
unreliable ****.

> Suggest you try using a shielded cable, or maybe different speakers.

I suggest making sure you check the neighborhood for AM radio stations, and any
other big antennas and towers before buying a house next time.

If you look on the back of your computer or self powered speakers, (if you are in
the US) you will see a label that says according to FCC rules, you MUST ACCEPT any
interference that you get. This is not a joke, look and you will see it, it is
an FCC rule.

So, according to the law, you just have to live with it. (in the USA anyway)

There are quality designed products that do not have interference problems, even
if you live next to an AM radio station, but you won't find these properly
designed products at Best Buy or Walmart and you will have to pay a reasonable
price for quality and good performance.

Keep buying cheap crap, and this is what you get. Also, don't move in an area
with big giant radio towers next time.