Weird problem: application icons over-laid with hard-drive icons

Mike Schneider

I have a Windows ME system on a network which has recently suffered
oine or two odd problems:

1. All of my aplications AND document (but not folder) icons are now
overlaid, automaticaly, with hard-drive icons. Sometimes the screen
will re-draw and they'll temporarily disappear; but they'll reappear a
short time later (and after restarts).

2. My other machines are no longer able to access the machine on the
network, although they, and the affected machine itself, are able to
get on the internet just fine.

-- It doesn't appear to be virus- or spyware-related.

What's going on?

Peter Emanuelsson

On 31 Oct 2004 15:35:28 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
(E-Mail Removed) (Mike Schneider) wrote:

>I have a Windows ME system on a network which has recently suffered
>oine or two odd problems:
>
>1. All of my aplications AND document (but not folder) icons are now
>overlaid, automaticaly, with hard-drive icons. Sometimes the screen
>will re-draw and they'll temporarily disappear; but they'll reappear a
>short time later (and after restarts).
>
>2. My other machines are no longer able to access the machine on the
>network, although they, and the affected machine itself, are able to
>get on the internet just fine.
>
> -- It doesn't appear to be virus- or spyware-related.
>
>What's going on?

1. Search the web for the word "ShellIconCache", perhaps combined with
"windows me", and you'll find some ideas to try.

2. Don't know.

--
May all spammers die in horrible pains!
Wanna e-mail me? Well, peter_e is correct, but the rest is obviously bogus...

K Doty

Have you tried to update your spyware and check to see if your antivirus has
an update. also check to see if there are any Operating system updates from
Microsoft.COuld How much ram does your system use and how many processes you
have running in your computers back ground.

Let me know

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...