Weird wake from sleep

Michael Vilain

I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.

I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
rebooted.

It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot, so a working Sleep mode would be
useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
don't know what I should set to to.

Originally I thought it was a program that was doing this, but it does
it regardless.

How can I fix this or does it need to be taken into the Genius Bar to be
fixed?

Daniel Cohen

Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
> older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
> so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.
>
> I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
> sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
> for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
> a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
> up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
> better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
> I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
> rebooted.

Check the Security system preference. It is probably set to require a
password on waking from sleep or even from a screensaver.

--
<http://www.decohen.com>
The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
> sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
> for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

> If I press
> a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
> up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password. It's taking me the
> better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
> I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
> rebooted.
>
> It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot, so a working Sleep mode would be
> useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
> don't know what I should set to to.

Go to Energy Saver and try 15 min for Computer sleep and 5 mins for
display sleep (or whatever you like but less than the Computer sleep).
Be careful, the scale is unintuitive on the slider, look at the text
that pops up to the right when you slide.

Now, say you are rushing off and want to make sure it sleeps:
deliberately put the computer to sleep by (say) Command Option Eject
or close the lid.

If you log out, commanding it to sleep with a mouse on the sleep
option on the login screen will sleep it but can result in it waking
suddenly after a few seconds without you doing anything and even if
you have set it not to wake on network activity in Sys Prefs. It is
perhaps some bug. What I found to be the most reliable way - when this
happens is follow up by closing the lid. It then stays asleep.

My experience is with a desktop monitor connected.

--
dorayme

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I never use sleep mode on my MacPro, so I'm unfamiliar with it. On my
> > older machines, with various upgrades to hardware, Sleep stopped working
> > so I just let the machine run with a screen saver.
> >
> > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro.

> Which model and year, specifically?
>
> > When I close the lid and put it to
> > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
> > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark. If I press
> > a key or click the trackpad, about 10 seconds later, the screen lights
> > up for about 4 seconds and prompts for a password.

> Did you install the operating system on this computer, or did someone
> else? If the latter, I'd highly recommend you erase the hard drive and
> install a new OS on it.
>
> > It's taking me the
> > better part of 15 minutes messing with this to try and login. One time
> > I just gave up and held the power button until the machine shut down and
> > rebooted.

> That's definitely not normal behavior. Something's wrong.
>
> > It takes a good 4-5 minutes to boot

> And that's very abnormal as well. Have you run the Disk Utility Verify
> function on the startup drive?
>
> >, so a working Sleep mode would be
> > useful for this system. I've looked at the Energy Saving settings and
> > don't know what I should set to to.

> What is it set to now?
>
> > Originally I thought it was a program that was doing this, but it does
> > it regardless.
> >
> > How can I fix this or does it need to be taken into the Genius Bar to be
> > fixed?

> I'd wipe it and install the OS on it myself, if you haven't already.
>
> If you already have, and this is the way the machine has always worked,
> even with a freshly erased hard drive and new OS install, then I would
> start suspecting a hardware issue.

The system came from Apple with a fresh install of Lion on it. It came
without disks or media but people here have been telling me Lion is a
network-based install. I've not read up on the new install procedures,
but I think I'm going to take it back to the Store and ask for copies of
the original install disks. The person selling it to me said it should
come with disks.

I have more info and seemed to have solved the problem, although by
accident.

The problem of the Wake from Sleep/4 seconds/Back to sleep only happens
when I'm logged in and put the system to sleep by closing the lid. I
have the screen saver set to prompt for a password after 15 minutes. If
I boot the system and leave it at the login screen, the system goes to
sleep and wakes just fine. That pointed me to "must be something that's
started when I login". On login, a ~/Library/StartupItems file was
flagged as invalid. On the original machine that was the source for the
migration, XRG and Hyperdock were disabled (I know Hyperdock doesn't
work on 10.7). I was doing some general housecleaning (don't want Adobe
on this laptop) and removed all I could find in various places including
the launch agents/daemons. And I cleaned out that StartupItem.

Now, the system is sleeping as it should. I suspect that some stub of
something was left by the migration process that interferred with Sleep.

So, long story short, "Nevermind" [said in Gilda Radner's voice] and
thanks for listening.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The system came from Apple with a fresh install of Lion on it. It came
> without disks or media but people here have been telling me Lion is a
> network-based install. I've not read up on the new install procedures,
> but I think I'm going to take it back to the Store and ask for copies of
> the original install disks. The person selling it to me said it should
> come with disks.

Lion does not have install disks.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
> > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
> > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

> If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
> box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

I don't think he's complaining about the password prompt, but the fact
that the screen goes dark before he gets a chance to respond to it.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

David Fritzinger

Barry Margolin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > I just got a referbed MacBook Pro. When I close the lid and put it to
> > > sleep and it wakes up requesting a password, the password box appears
> > > for about 4 seconds, then the keyboard and display go dark.

> > If you don't want this, see if or ensure that the "Require password"
> > box under Security in the Sys Prefs is unticked.

> I don't think he's complaining about the password prompt, but the fact
> that the screen goes dark before he gets a chance to respond to it.

FWIW, I see that on occasion on my early 2011 15" MBP. Not sure what
causes it, but I found that it seems to only happen when the MBP was
plugged in, and removing the charging connection gave me the screen
back. In my case, if the status light on the front is cycling, the
computer will wake up normally when I open the lid. If it isn't, this
strangeness will happen. Odd...

Wake on LAN or Wake for Ethernet network administrator access SpreadTooThin Apple 2 12-27-2008 06:51 AM
"Wake On LAN" - Wake from power off or sleep only? eastcoastguyz Apple 2 05-31-2008 09:30 PM
Dell Inspiron 5150 Wake from Sleep Craig Dell 1 08-06-2006 04:31 PM
A-939 won't wake from sleep pete ECS 1 09-06-2005 05:39 PM
Dell Inspiron 5160 won't wake up from sleep ofn01 Dell 0 01-12-2005 08:23 PM