What's SYS_FAN?

Kenny

Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors on
it:
CPU_FAN - connected
NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
SYS_FAN - ?
Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU via
standard Molex connector.
PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

--

Kenny Cargill

Nikonja

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:41 +0100, Kenny wrote:

> Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors on
> it:
> CPU_FAN - connected
> NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
> SYS_FAN - ?
> Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
> Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU via
> standard Molex connector.
> PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

Thats where you connect your case fan if you want to control the speed in
some software, otherwise you can leave it connected on your psu, it doesn't
make no diference to your pc !

Gregory Kleverlaan

"Nikonja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsxv93yy2lpuj$.1om8u01h1arcw$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:41 +0100, Kenny wrote:
>
>> Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors on
>> it:
>> CPU_FAN - connected
>> NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
>> SYS_FAN - ?
>> Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
>> Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU
>> via
>> standard Molex connector.
>> PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

> Thats where you connect your case fan if you want to control the speed in
> some software, otherwise you can leave it connected on your psu, it
> doesn't
> make no diference to your pc !

Except the fact that if you connect it to the system Fan connector on the
motherboard you can monitor it and find out when its stopped working and
needs replacement.

Kenny

Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
grey?

--

Kenny Cargill

"Gregory Kleverlaan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:433dc32c$0$6569$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nikonja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsxv93yy2lpuj$.1om8u01h1arcw$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:41 +0100, Kenny wrote:
>>
>>> Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors
>>> on
>>> it:
>>> CPU_FAN - connected
>>> NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
>>> SYS_FAN - ?
>>> Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
>>> Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU
>>> via
>>> standard Molex connector.
>>> PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

>> Thats where you connect your case fan if you want to control the speed in
>> some software, otherwise you can leave it connected on your psu, it
>> doesn't
>> make no diference to your pc !

> Except the fact that if you connect it to the system Fan connector on the
> motherboard you can monitor it and find out when its stopped working and
> needs replacement.

Nikonja

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
> grey?

Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

Ian

Kenny wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
> grey?

Nope. Gigabyte just tend to ship pretty yellow (ish) ribbons cables.
They work fine with ATA133.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-3, 30/09/2005
Tested on: 01/10/2005 23:20:01

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Nikonja
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
>> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
>> grey?

>Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
>don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.

*shrugs*

--
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

Nikonja

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Nikonja
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
>>> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
>>> grey?

>>Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
>>don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

> Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
> type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
> PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
>
> *shrugs*

That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
ofcourse !

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Nikonja
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
>>>don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

>> Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
>> type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
>> PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
>>
>> *shrugs*

>That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
>cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
>ofcourse !

Sure, but the colour is sometimes significant. If there are 2 red ports
and 2 black ports, typically it indicates different capabilities.

It's just a colour, but things are often coloured for a reason.

--
SCIENTISTS COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES FOR VITAMIN CONTENT
"It's like comparing apples and oranges," says researcher

Nikonja

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:17:38 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Nikonja
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

>>> Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
>>> type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
>>> PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
>>>
>>> *shrugs*

>>That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
>>cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
>>ofcourse !

> Sure, but the colour is sometimes significant. If there are 2 red ports
> and 2 black ports, typically it indicates different capabilities.
>
> It's just a colour, but things are often coloured for a reason.

But not with the cables !!! The question was regarding colour of cables not
colour of things on mobo !