Where's My Hard Drive?

Ron

I bought a new(?) Western Digital 80 GB hard drive for my old PC; the
motherboard/BIOS having been made in 1998. I don't know if the problem
is with the BIOS or the hard drive, but the system doesn't recognize
the new HD (and I don't have needed info like how many cylinders the
HD has, or other pertinent settings). I called WD's customer service,
but those clowns are pathetic and no help at all. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Ron

Arno Wagner

Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I bought a new(?) Western Digital 80 GB hard drive for my old PC; the
> motherboard/BIOS having been made in 1998. I don't know if the problem
> is with the BIOS or the hard drive, but the system doesn't recognize
> the new HD (and I don't have needed info like how many cylinders the
> HD has, or other pertinent settings). I called WD's customer service,
> but those clowns are pathetic and no help at all. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Probably either an 8GB or an 32 GB limit in the BIOS.
Best way around that is to get a disk controller with
its own BIOS. I made good experiences with Promise
Ultra 100TX2 or 133TX2.

Arno

Ron

On Sep 7, 7:40*pm, Arno Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I bought a new(?) Western Digital 80 GB hard drive for my old PC; the
> > motherboard/BIOS having been made in 1998. I don't know if the problem
> > is with the BIOS or the hard drive, but the system doesn't recognize
> > the new HD (and I don't have needed info like how many cylinders the
> > HD has, or other pertinent settings). I called WD's customer service,
> > but those clowns are pathetic and no help at all. Does anyone have any
> > suggestions?

> Probably either an 8GB or an 32 GB limit in the BIOS.
> Best way around that is to get a disk controller with
> its own BIOS. I made good experiences with Promise
> Ultra 100TX2 or 133TX2.
>
> Arno

Thanks for the help, folks; much appreciated.

Ron