Judd wrote:
> A bit late isn't he?

what news?

Bill Davidsen

steve harris wrote:
> Judd wrote:
>
>> A bit late isn't he?
>>

> what news?

I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.

--
bill davidsen <(E-Mail Removed)>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc

steve harris

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> steve harris wrote:
>
>> Judd wrote:
>>
>>> A bit late isn't he?
>>>

>> what news?

> I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.

Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
Huh??

sdeyoreo@hotmail.com

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:57:16 -0600, steve harris
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> steve harris wrote:

>>> what news?

>> I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.
>>

>Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
>Huh??

thats what todays NewYorkTimes says.

leslie

steve harris ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
:
: Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
: Huh??
:

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/7981150.htm
Mercury News | 02/18/2004 | Intel plays 64-bit catch-up

"Posted on Wed, Feb. 18, 2004

Intel plays 64-bit catch-up
By Therese Poletti
Mercury News

Intel Chief Executive Craig Barrett said Tuesday that the chip giant
will follow its rival's lead with a technology that mimics Advanced
Micro Devices' chips for computer servers.

The much-rumored move puts the Santa Clara company in the awkward and
unusual position of selling chips compatible with technology first
embraced and launched by AMD, its scrappy Sunnyvale competitor. Intel
already sells the 64-bit Itanium chip, which is based on a separate
technology.

Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

Barrett said in his keynote speech at the Intel Developer Forum in San
Francisco that the next version of its Xeon processor for low-end
servers, code-named Nocona, will offer the 64-bit capability found in
AMD's Opteron family of chips for servers. He also said Intel will
offer a version of its Prescott Pentium 4 chip for workstations with
single processors with the 64-bit capability. The chips will be
available in the spring.

``It's only the worst-kept secret in San Francisco,'' Barrett said,
acknowledging the many rumors. He also said Intel's chips will run on
a new 64-bit version of the Windows operating system that Microsoft
has been developing, initially based on AMD's chip designs.

AMD's version of 64-bit computing in its Opteron and Athlon-64 chips
is based on the standard Intel architecture that runs mainstream
software applications used in 32-bit computing today.

AMD executives had a hard time restraining their glee Tuesday..."

--Jerry Leslie
Note: (E-Mail Removed) is invalid for email

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

On 2004-02-18 01:02:16 +0100, "Judd" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> A bit late isn't he?

No news is good news as they say

--

http://haxor.dk +45 2685 5909

Democracy is not something you believe in or a lace to hang your hat,
but it's something you do. You articipate. If you stop doing it,
democracy crumbles.
- Abbie Hoffman

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

On 2004-02-19 05:44:29 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) (leslie) said:

> Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
> than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
> computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

...yes, if they're running 64-bit code, and there are data types to
take advantage of these 64-bit registers.

I can't think of any consumer apps the take advantage of 64-bit data types ?

I'm looking forward to 128-bit FP data types and 256-bit vectors...

--

http://haxor.dk +45 2685 5909

Democracy is not something you believe in or a lace to hang your hat,
but it's something you do. You articipate. If you stop doing it,
democracy crumbles.
- Abbie Hoffman

David Schwartz

"Peter Perlsų" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40353176$0$27406$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> On 2004-02-19 05:44:29 +0100, (E-Mail Removed) (leslie) said:

>> Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
>> than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
>> computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

> ..yes, if they're running 64-bit code, and there are data types to take
> advantage of these 64-bit registers.
>
> I can't think of any consumer apps the take advantage of 64-bit data types
> ?
>
> I'm looking forward to 128-bit FP data types and 256-bit vectors...

That paragraph was meaningless. It is technically true, computer servers
equipped with 64-chips do in fact process data faster than standard 32-bit
chips and are in fact used for big corporate computing tasks and advanced
scientific research.

Of course, it is also true that computer servers equipped with 32-bit
chips process data much faster than standard (commodity) 32-bit chips and
are also currently used for big corporate computing tasks and advanced
scientific research.

DS