Which ARM processor to use...

Meindert Sprang

I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of
256kB and an ethernet controller.
I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board and
built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does but
they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with TI. I'm
sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

Meindert

Wil Taphoorn

On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
> The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of
> 256kB and an ethernet controller.

> [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

--
Wil

Rich Webb

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.
>
>The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of
>256kB and an ethernet controller.
>I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
>controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
>controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board and
>built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does but
>they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with TI. I'm
>sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

ST's STM32F107 line of CM3s will run 72 MHz and have (among other stuff,
of course) embedded Ethernet MACs with DMA support. Haven't played with
the 107-series but have used the 103 in several recent projects. Nice
chips.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Meindert Sprang

"Wil Taphoorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
> > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash

of
> > 256kB and an ethernet controller.

> > [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

> Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
description..

Meindert

Joe Chisolm

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:

> I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.
>
> The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
> of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
> I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
> controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
> controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
> and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
> but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with
> TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?
>
> Meindert

TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz
ST has a line with Ethernet. They are all right there on their web sites.

--
Joe
Republic of Texas

linnix

On Oct 27, 8:01*am, Joe Chisolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:
> > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

> > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
> > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
> > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
> > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
> > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
> > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
> > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash)

They are probably all around 30Mhz running from flash. That's the
current process limit.

> TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
> LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. *The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz

with several wait states.

Roberto Waltman

Rich Webb wrote:
>ST's STM32F107 line of CM3s will run 72 MHz and have (among other stuff,
>of course) embedded Ethernet MACs with DMA support. Haven't played with
>the 107-series but have used the 103 in several recent projects. Nice
>chips.

I second that. Personally used only the F100 series, but the F200 are
used in other projects in my company. The documentation is good, there
are many inexpensive development boards, and the combination STM32 +
Segger J-Link + IAR, (my employer's weapon of choice,) works well.
--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]

linnix

On Oct 27, 7:17*am, "Meindert Sprang" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "Wil Taphoorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
> > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash

> of
> > > 256kB and an ethernet controller.

> > > [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

> > Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

> I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
> parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
> description..

'>

If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well. I
don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying
ARM are forever. You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states.
It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once
relocated to sram. At least, that the theory. In practice, i only
heard of 160MHz.

Jukka Marin

On 2011-10-27, linnix <(E-Mail Removed)-for.us> wrote:
>> TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
>> LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. *The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz

> with several wait states.

NXP uses 128-bit wide FLASH and a "memory accelerator" (a simple RAM buffer)
which helps.

-jm

linnix

On Oct 27, 8:46*am, Jukka Marin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-10-27, linnix <(E-Mail Removed)-for.us> wrote:
>
> >> TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
> >> LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. *The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69120mhz

> > with several wait states.

> NXP uses 128-bit wide FLASH and a "memory accelerator" (a simple RAM buffer)
> which helps.
>
> * -jm

PIC32 also have internal wider bus (128 bits or more), instruction
cache and 5 stage pre-fetch pipeline. I guess almost everybody is
doing the same.

ARM STR7 -> IAR StarterKit (ARM STR711) -> 2 Interfaces -> enumeration ManuelSahm@freenet.de Embedded 0 01-27-2007 01:25 PM
ARM ARM required vits Embedded 3 10-11-2006 03:29 PM
Intel owns ARM? No Intel SELLS Arm, produces ARM, Arm is a RISC processor Ilgaz Ocal Apple 0 06-05-2005 10:03 AM
ARM CP920T & ARM Multi-ice Kelvin Embedded 1 09-14-2004 07:16 PM
[ANN] ARM board ARM TEC V2 ezarm MCU team Embedded 0 04-16-2004 10:11 AM