Which Bluetooth adapter to choose?

Vaidas

I have an x200 and it doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter which I'd like
to install. I found on http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkP..._%28BDC-2.1%29
that there are three part numbers (42T0969, 60Y3211 and 60Y3215) for
the adapter. What is different for those three adapters? Will
installing be as easy as opening the laptop and screwing the card to a
hole?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Vaidas wrote:
> I have an x200 and it doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter which I'd like
> to install. I found on
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkP..._%28BDC-2.1%29
> that there are three part numbers (42T0969, 60Y3211 and 60Y3215) for
> the adapter. What is different for those three adapters? Will
> installing be as easy as opening the laptop and screwing the card to a
> hole?

Sorry, can't help on which part number to use. However, if you have a
'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I've used the
following (on laptops that don't have BT built-in) with good success:
It doesn't get much cheaper than that for bluetooth! They're also very
unobtrusive, you hardly notice the little bulge and it's black so that it
matches your ThinkPad <g>. DealExtreme have plenty of other options for
bluetooth dongles, these two look good to me (but I have no personal
experience with them):

I have no affiliation with DealExtreme, I've just used them many times as an
alternative source of 'gizmos'. Considering that those prices include
world-wide shipping you don't have much to lose IMO. (I'm in New Zealand and
they usually take about a week to get here.)

Best of luck with your bluetooth. :-)
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

me@privacy.net

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>However, if you have a
>'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I

Good advice but I hate those external BT "nubs"
sticking out myself!

Cant figure out why laptop makers don't make a
"recessed" USB port for such things!!

Anthony R. Gold

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:43:17 -0800 (PST), Vaidas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an x200 and it doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter which I'd like
> to install. I found on http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkP..._%28BDC-2.1%29
> that there are three part numbers (42T0969, 60Y3211 and 60Y3215) for
> the adapter. What is different for those three adapters? Will
> installing be as easy as opening the laptop and screwing the card to a
> hole?

Is the set Blue-Tooth ready - with the indicator light symbol and the antenna
already installed? If not then it's far simpler to use a USB dongle solution.

Tony

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> However, if you have a
>> 'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I

> Good advice but I hate those external BT "nubs"
> sticking out myself!
>
> Cant figure out why laptop makers don't make a
> "recessed" USB port for such things!!

Heh! True. The 15" R40 has a recessed USB port. ;-)
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Vaidas

I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
people that have it can give me info that http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?
Thanks.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Vaidas wrote:
> I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it?

Yes, call Lenovo and order one for your machine. It's still relatively
current there should be no problems. <shrug> Is that difficult?

Going by my experience with IBM / Lenovo part numbers the three numbers that
you quoted from thinkwiki are likely to be (a, 42T0969) original part, (b,
60Y3211) original upgrade part and (c, 60Y3215) second run of upgrade parts.
All of which should do exactly the same thing. In fact if you order one from
Lenovo now you'll likely get a (d, 60Y32??) part number and be able to
update thinkwiki's page.

> Maybe
> people that have it can give me info that
> http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip shows, or under
> linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?
> Thanks.

I don't have one, my T60s use a different adapter.
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:44:55 -0800 (PST), Vaidas <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
> people that have it can give me info that http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
> shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?

Are you able to install the necessary antenna? If not I recommend you go USB.

Sam Trenholme

>Yes, call Lenovo and order one for your machine.

Lenovo has just recently set up a website for ordering parts:

http://www.lenovospareparts.com/

- Sam

--
#Sam Trenholme http://samiam.org -- Usenet user since September 1993#
######## My email address is at http://samiam.org/mailme.php ########

Vaidas

On Jan 11, 2:00*am, "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:44:55 -0800 (PST), Vaidas <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
> > people that have it can give me info thathttp://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
> > shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?

> Are you able to install the necessary antenna? If not I recommend you go USB.

Do I need an antenna (that is not present on my machine)?