R Hallman

I am setting up a KT600 v.1 that I want to use SATA1 as the boot device.
When I install WindowsXP on this computer and it asks for a third party
driver, do I install one of the Soyo drivers? Which one? I do not want to
create a Raid array but I do want to get the benefits of the faster SATA
hard drive. I have found inconsistencies in the BIOS setup instructions
between what is in the manual vs. what is shown on the BIOS screen. I have
never found anything in the BIOS that allows me to set the "SATA Mode" to
"IDE" as stated on page 96 of the User's Manual. If I am missing something
please point out my mistake.

JOHN

"R Hallman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I am setting up a KT600 v.1 that I want to use SATA1 as the boot device.
> When I install WindowsXP on this computer and it asks for a third party
> driver, do I install one of the Soyo drivers? Which one? I do not want to
> create a Raid array but I do want to get the benefits of the faster SATA
> hard drive. I have found inconsistencies in the BIOS setup instructions
> between what is in the manual vs. what is shown on the BIOS screen. I have
> never found anything in the BIOS that allows me to set the "SATA Mode" to
> "IDE" as stated on page 96 of the User's Manual. If I am missing something
> please point out my mistake.

Hello!
Third party drivers can be found on the Soyo web site. i.e. kt600
Via raid...(http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2171)
Third party drivers can also be found on makers home
page.(http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2) P.S. Know your
chipset!
Set up the system with essential components only (no sound cards or
additional peripherals that are not required at the time of installing
the Operating system)
Plug in your two SATA drives
Place your Windows CD in the CD-rom and a floppy disc with the VIA
driver below in the floppy drive
Boot the system and after the option to enter BIOS, Press the Tab key
to enter user window
Create your RAID array
Exit and your system will detect the Windows installation disc in the
CD-rom and will begin to load the installation program.
At the first Blue Screen prompt "Press F6 to install 3rd Party RAID
Controller Software" Follow the instructions. It will detect the
driver disc in the floppy drive and install the VIA driver
Continue with the Windows installation
After the Windows installation, install the driver again by running
the setup.exe file. By running it again from Windows the V-RAID tool
will become available so that you can monitor or change your RAID
array set up from within Windows

R Hallman

"JOHN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "R Hallman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> I am setting up a KT600 v.1 that I want to use SATA1 as the boot device.
>> When I install WindowsXP on this computer and it asks for a third party
>> driver, do I install one of the Soyo drivers? Which one? I do not want
>> create a Raid array but I do want to get the benefits of the faster SATA
>> hard drive. I have found inconsistencies in the BIOS setup instructions
>> between what is in the manual vs. what is shown on the BIOS screen. I
>> have
>> never found anything in the BIOS that allows me to set the "SATA Mode" to
>> "IDE" as stated on page 96 of the User's Manual. If I am missing
>> something
>> please point out my mistake.

> Hello!
> Third party drivers can be found on the Soyo web site. i.e. kt600
> Via raid...(http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2171)
> Third party drivers can also be found on makers home
> page.(http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2) P.S. Know your
> chipset!
> Set up the system with essential components only (no sound cards or
> additional peripherals that are not required at the time of installing
> the Operating system)
> Plug in your two SATA drives
> Place your Windows CD in the CD-rom and a floppy disc with the VIA
> driver below in the floppy drive
> Boot the system and after the option to enter BIOS, Press the Tab key
> to enter user window
> Create your RAID array
> Exit and your system will detect the Windows installation disc in the
> CD-rom and will begin to load the installation program.
> At the first Blue Screen prompt "Press F6 to install 3rd Party RAID
> Controller Software" Follow the instructions. It will detect the
> driver disc in the floppy drive and install the VIA driver
> Continue with the Windows installation
> After the Windows installation, install the driver again by running
> the setup.exe file. By running it again from Windows the V-RAID tool
> will become available so that you can monitor or change your RAID
> array set up from within Windows

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I want to use SATA1 as a single drive. No
Raid Array. I have now got my OS installed on the HD installed on SATA1.
After trying every interpretation of the BIOS setup instructions for the
boot device sequence I gave up using their instructions. Although it is
contrary to what is printed in the User's Manual Floppy, CDROM, HDD-0 is
what finally worked. Maybe someone can explain why. I have a DVD-RW on
IDE1 as Master and a DVD-ROM as the slave. There is nothing on IDE2. SATA1
contains a 200GB Seagate SATA HD.

f/f george

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:27:05 -0500, "R Hallman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I want to use SATA1 as a single drive. No
>Raid Array. I have now got my OS installed on the HD installed on SATA1.
>After trying every interpretation of the BIOS setup instructions for the
>boot device sequence I gave up using their instructions. Although it is
>contrary to what is printed in the User's Manual Floppy, CDROM, HDD-0 is
>what finally worked. Maybe someone can explain why. I have a DVD-RW on
>IDE1 as Master and a DVD-ROM as the slave. There is nothing on IDE2. SATA1
>contains a 200GB Seagate SATA HD.

I was told the other day that on MOST boards you can use Sata OR IDE
NOT both at the same time. Maybe that is why it is working now.