Which drivers for GF2/Ti?

de Moni

Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!

UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
makes playing quite impossible.

C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
showing just plain white.

Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.

So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
CDs.

deimos

de Moni wrote:
> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
>
> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
> makes playing quite impossible.
>
> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
> showing just plain white.
>
> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
>
> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
> CDs.

Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
software level support for any DX version.

If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or aggressive
memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard chipset, like
KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.

Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
several 3 things:

1. Overclocking
2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).

Robert Gault

deimos wrote:
> de Moni wrote:
>
>> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
>> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
>> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
>>
>> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
>> makes playing quite impossible.
>>
>> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
>> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
>> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
>> showing just plain white.
>>
>> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
>> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
>> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
>>
>> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
>> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
>> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
>> CDs.
>>

> Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
> software level support for any DX version.
>
> If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
> your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
> Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or aggressive
> memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard chipset, like
> KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.
>
> Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
> several 3 things:
>
> 1. Overclocking
> 2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
> 3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).

You keep saying that but you should read the threads on the nZone
forums. There are many reports of 66.94 (official nVidia release) not
working for any Win98 system and no reports of anyone having success.

Ex. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1568

deimos

Robert Gault wrote:
> deimos wrote:
>
>> de Moni wrote:
>>
>>> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
>>> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
>>> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
>>>
>>> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
>>> makes playing quite impossible.
>>>
>>> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
>>> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
>>> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
>>> showing just plain white.
>>>
>>> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
>>> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
>>> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
>>>
>>> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
>>> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
>>> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
>>> CDs.
>>>

>> Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
>> software level support for any DX version.
>>
>> If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
>> your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
>> Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or
>> aggressive memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard
>> chipset, like KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.
>>
>> Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
>> several 3 things:
>>
>> 1. Overclocking
>> 2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
>> 3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).
>>

> You keep saying that but you should read the threads on the nZone
> forums. There are many reports of 66.94 (official nVidia release) not
> working for any Win98 system and no reports of anyone having success.
>
> Ex. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1568

I didn't see Win98 in the original thread. Also, such an OS which is
inherently unstable and prone to errors is not a very good platform to
diagnose bugs.

Additionally, if it were _one_ release only (66.94), then the problem
could easily be traced to it, but I have not seen that common cause.
Many of the posts relate to older versions or unspecified ones.

So to diagnose this particular situation, 'de Moni' should revert to a
previous WHQL driver version and start from there. All previous
releases are available on NVIDIA's ftp: ftp://download.nvidia.com

61.77, 56.72, and 52.16 might be a good place to start.

Now if it still doesn't work and reproduces the same errors/artfiacts
without respect to the driver version, you have to look deeper into
what's causing it.

It's very possible that the Win98 driver is incompatible with many cards
or it's a bad release (not all that many people use a Win9x system much
anymore so it might be understandable for less regression and error
testing to have occurred). Sometimes AGP settings are _strictly_
enforced through the driver itself and this may conflict with Win98's
AGP subsystem or chipset drivers for Win98.

But you shouldn't just automatically assume it's one component without
further inspection.

de Moni

"deimos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> So to diagnose this particular situation, 'de Moni' should revert to a
> previous WHQL driver version and start from there. All previous releases
> are available on NVIDIA's ftp: ftp://download.nvidia.com

Yeah, I already downloaded 44.03's and they seem to work
perfectly. Great drivers, NVidia! :-)

YanquiDawg

I was playing Gothic 2 with the 66.93's. Everything was flickering and
flashing. Went back to 44.03(Windows 2k).. Cleared it up.

>Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
>and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
>by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
>

>UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
>makes playing quite impossible.
>

>C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
>flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
>belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
>showing just plain white.
>

>Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
>dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
>no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.

>So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
>Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
>using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
>CDs.

DaveW

I would recommend going to the NVidia Web site and trying the 45.23 driver,
or you may even need an earlier one. The newest drivers were NOT designed
to be stable with that older card.

--
DaveW

"de Moni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cu26ud$g9l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
>
> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
> makes playing quite impossible.
>
> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
> showing just plain white.
>
> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
>
> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
> CDs.

de Moni

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> The newest drivers were NOT designed to be stable with that older card.

If that's NVidia's official statement, then why the hell
don't they remove support for older cards completely
from the latest drivers? I would expect the latest driver
set to work correctly with all the supported hardware
and I see GF2 Ti is also on the 66.93's supported-list.

Robert Gault

de Moni wrote:
> "DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>The newest drivers were NOT designed to be stable with that older card.

> If that's NVidia's official statement, then why the hell
> don't they remove support for older cards completely
> from the latest drivers? I would expect the latest driver
> set to work correctly with all the supported hardware
> and I see GF2 Ti is also on the 66.93's supported-list.

That is not an official nVidia statement, in fact just the opposite.
nVidia claims complete compatibility for any listed card. Users have
found that many beta drivers and some official release drivers don't
work as advertised.

Since you are trying 66.93 you probably have WinXP or other NT system.
You will have much better luck than those of us with Win95 or Win98.
However, there are reasonably recent drivers that work with the Ti-4200.
On my Win98SE system the most recent driver that works acceptably with
the Ti-4200 is 61.76. There should be an XP/NT release around that
number which will be good for you.