Which Duron has low heat output ?

JonH

Which Duron has low heat output ?

?

I'm looking at building a PC with a small slim case so the CPU Heatsink &
Fan can be no larger than 55mm.

So I'm looing for a Duron that has very low heat output !

Thanks

Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:

> Which Duron has low heat output ?
>
> 1200
> 1400
> 1600
> 1800
> ?

It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.

Immuno

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:
>
> > Which Duron has low heat output ?
> >
> > 1200
> > 1400
> > 1600
> > 1800
> > ?
> >

> It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
> 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
> higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
> one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
> it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.
>
> --
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

I bought a couple of (cheap) Durons before Christmas. I actually bought them
to go into "ultra cheap" but reasonable performance boxes for friends who
I'm encouraging not to be on the wrong side of the "digital divide" - but I
digress...

So I had a "play" with them over the holiday. They were ADUDHD1600DLV1C 1600
Durons @ sub 30 quid ($50). Got them up to 2100Ghz (actual not AMD+ numbers)
and still at sub 40 deg C, and only at 1.5v! (did I mention the big HSF?)

They were the new GREEN lobotomized Thoroughbred cored Durons.

I would imagine that the 14/6/800 ones all have similar characteristics.

So in answer to your question - if you steer clear of the Morgan core fellas
and go for the green Thoroughbreds, temperature ought not to be an issue.

Pete

mrdancer

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:
>
> > Which Duron has low heat output ?
> >
> > 1200
> > 1400
> > 1600
> > 1800
> > ?
> >

> It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
> 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
> higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
> one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
> it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.

Isn't the B core an Athlon? I thought the Durons all had basically the same
core (spitfire or morgan). I think the Athlons were K7(Pluto) and K75
(Orion), Athlon T-bird B and C, then Athlon XP Palomino, then Athlon XP
T-bred A and B, then Athlon XP Barton, etc.

Btw,
I was just over at tomshardware reading about AMD's stepping utility. If
your mobo's BIOS allows that utility to function, your Clawhammer 2200mhz
(89W) can run at 800mhz (35W) when you're not stressing the system. Cool.
:
Link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...4_3400-02.html

JonH

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the newer Durons ??

I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR, and
Windows 2003 Server as a test server..

The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !

Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.

Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please

Thanks

JonH

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:57:24 +0000 (UTC), "Immuno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:
>>
>> > Which Duron has low heat output ?
>> >
>> > 1200
>> > 1400
>> > 1600
>> > 1800
>> > ?
>> >

>> It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
>> 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
>> higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
>> one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
>> it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

>I bought a couple of (cheap) Durons before Christmas. I actually bought them
>to go into "ultra cheap" but reasonable performance boxes for friends who
>I'm encouraging not to be on the wrong side of the "digital divide" - but I
>digress...
>
>So I had a "play" with them over the holiday. They were ADUDHD1600DLV1C 1600
>Durons @ sub 30 quid ($50). Got them up to 2100Ghz (actual not AMD+ numbers)
>and still at sub 40 deg C, and only at 1.5v! (did I mention the big HSF?)
>
>They were the new GREEN lobotomized Thoroughbred cored Durons.
>
>I would imagine that the 14/6/800 ones all have similar characteristics.
>
>So in answer to your question - if you steer clear of the Morgan core fellas
>and go for the green Thoroughbreds, temperature ought not to be an issue.
>
>Pete

Frank Hagan

"JonH" <jonh@no spam.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the newer Durons ??
>
> I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR,

and
> Windows 2003 Server as a test server..
>
> The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
> so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !
>
> Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.
>
> Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
> case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please
>
> Thanks
>
> JonH
>

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:57:24 +0000 (UTC), "Immuno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed) t...

> >> It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth

cpuid
> >> 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
> >> higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the

slowest
> >> one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then

underclock
> >> it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> >> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

> >I bought a couple of (cheap) Durons before Christmas. I actually bought

them
> >to go into "ultra cheap" but reasonable performance boxes for friends who
> >I'm encouraging not to be on the wrong side of the "digital divide" - but

> >digress...
> >
> >So I had a "play" with them over the holiday. They were ADUDHD1600DLV1C

1600
> >Durons @ sub 30 quid ($50). Got them up to 2100Ghz (actual not AMD+

numbers)
> >and still at sub 40 deg C, and only at 1.5v! (did I mention the big HSF?)
> >
> >They were the new GREEN lobotomized Thoroughbred cored Durons.
> >
> >I would imagine that the 14/6/800 ones all have similar characteristics.
> >
> >So in answer to your question - if you steer clear of the Morgan core

fellas
> >and go for the green Thoroughbreds, temperature ought not to be an issue.
> >
> >Pete

Try one of these: Akasa AK 350 Low Profile Cooler at

http://secure.addonsonline.co.uk/addon/default.htm

Not too expensive either!

FRH

Wes Newell

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:07:27 +0000, mrdancer wrote:

> Isn't the B core an Athlon? I thought the Durons all had basically the same
> core (spitfire or morgan). I think the Athlons were K7(Pluto) and K75
> (Orion), Athlon T-bird B and C, then Athlon XP Palomino, then Athlon XP
> T-bred A and B, then Athlon XP Barton, etc.

The 1600 Durons sre Athlons with part of the L2 cache disabled. Some are
tbred A cores and others are Tbred B cores. I think some of the 1400's are
too. Never heard of the 1800 Duron.

David Maynard

JonH wrote:
> Which Duron has low heat output ?
>
> 1200
> 1400
> 1600
> 1800
> ?
>
> I'm looking at building a PC with a small slim case so the CPU Heatsink &
> Fan can be no larger than 55mm.
>
> So I'm looing for a Duron that has very low heat output !
>
> Thanks

The bigger problem with a slim line is case ventilation. If yours is like
mine, and has no fan other than the one in the PSU, then the heat build up
inside can be horrendous. I'm about to cut a blow hole in mine for a 90mm,
slow RPM (so it's silent), vent fan, unless I think of some other way to
force some ventilation through it.

Anyway, here's one that just fits...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...1&searchdepa=0

HeatSink Material: Copper C1020
Nominal Speed(RPM): 4500
Max Air FlowCFM): 17.87
Noise(dBA): 34.15

And a 1U for even tighter space margin...

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-A1765&c=pw

Material: All Copper
Fan Speed: 5300 RPM
Max. Air Flow: 22.3 CFM
Noise: 37 DBA

The larger one is quieter and has the advantage that you could swap a more
powerful fan on it if you wanted to later on but there's no 'spare' room
and you might want to think about how much fan air intake clearance there
is above that 55mm spec you gave.

James Grabowski

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/amd_duron.html

> I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR, and
> Windows 2003 Server as a test server..
>
> The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
> so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !
>
> Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.
>
> Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
> case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please

An Akasa AK-350 low profile CPU Cooler (Socket A) should be ok as it's
only 25mm high

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...Akasa_119.html

I don't work for them by the way. I've just had good service from them
in the past.

JonH

Thanks.. for all the links..

Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Duron Throughbred ??

Cheers