Which KVM switch (DVI + USB) to get?

ANTant@zimage.com

Hi ya!

I am trying to decide which KVM switch brand and model to order for my Dell office machines
that only use USB devices (mice and keyboards; dang it, I miss PS/2 and VGA :P) and
flatscreen monitors (DVI). Based on cdw.com
(http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resul...orm=pc&x=0&y=0 or
http://tinyurl.com/pacb7 )...

I can only get Belkin, IOGEAR, and StarTech. So far, my friends like IOGear more than
Belkin. I am not sure which ports I am getting (2 or 4) due to costs. 2-port should be fine,
but 4-ports would be nice if I ever get more computers later on.

I have heard that Belkin isn't very good due to disconnections and lack of buttons when
switching computers. I never used IOGEAR's KVM switches before, but I have been using
Belkin's old VGA and PS/2 models at home and work. They work well except when they lose
connections (easy to fix: unplug and replug) once in a while. The operating systems will be
mostly Windows 2000, XP, and upcoming Vista.

Which one would you get? Thank you in advance.
--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
/\___/\
( )

M.I.5

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Hi ya!
>
> I am trying to decide which KVM switch brand and model to order for my
> Dell office machines
> that only use USB devices (mice and keyboards; dang it, I miss PS/2 and
> VGA :P) and
> flatscreen monitors (DVI). Based on cdw.com
> (http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resul...orm=pc&x=0&y=0
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/pacb7 )...
>
> I can only get Belkin, IOGEAR, and StarTech. So far, my friends like
> IOGear more than
> Belkin. I am not sure which ports I am getting (2 or 4) due to costs.
> 2-port should be fine,
> but 4-ports would be nice if I ever get more computers later on.
>
> I have heard that Belkin isn't very good due to disconnections and lack of
> buttons when
> switching computers. I never used IOGEAR's KVM switches before, but I have
> been using
> Belkin's old VGA and PS/2 models at home and work. They work well except
> when they lose
> connections (easy to fix: unplug and replug) once in a while. The
> operating systems will be
> mostly Windows 2000, XP, and upcoming Vista.
>
> Which one would you get? Thank you in advance.

Be aware that some people have had problems with KVM switches in that the
video isolation isn't as good as it could be, with the result that the video
signal from one machine cross couples to the other. This is particularly a
problem with CRT monitors. LCD monitors seem to be able to reject the
surplus signal particularly if the two machines are set to different refresh
rates (but some LCD monitor don't like anything other than 60 Hz). I use a
KVM switch with the 2 PCs set to 60 and 75 Hz and have no problem, but a
colleague couldn't get the very same switch to work without interference.