Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Whistling noise from MB especially while scrolling

 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Hi!

Below is my basic configuration. It's a new machine:

Window7-64 bit w/support for 32 bit apps.
Logitech G5 Laser mouse (with tail)
Intel 860 CPU
GA-P55A-UD4P MB
GV-NT98TSL Graphics (Geforce 9800GT, Silent-Cell, 1-GB)
Corsair 750HX PSU
Intel X25M SSD


The machine is usually quiet until it plays audio (even if mute is on),
say with Windows Media Center. Then there will often be some high-end
organ like/whistling sounds in the background. Again, this is not audio,
these sounds are coming out of the case. The offending noises can most
easily demonstrated by scroll images, say at Google.com, and are also
created while using the mouse with the Google SketchUp Program.

I think the problem may be a little less offensive since I plugged my
mouse into the front of the case instead of directly into the MB (back
of the case), I'm not sure.

Since the noises basically start following the use of audio, I thought
that it might be an audio driver. I am using Realtek High Definition
audio drivers that are dated 12/8/2009. According to Windows these
drivers are up to date.

I have tried several BIOS changes (disabling C1E, for instance), but am
not having much success.

I thought of buying a PCI USB card for my mouse, as, according to the
schematic in the manual, the USB on the MB uses the PCI Express bus.
But, if the GPU is causing the noises then this won't help.

I'm running out of ideas...thank you for your thoughts or suggestions!

Bill

BTW, when something like this used to happen with an older system I had,
I used to reduce the "recording volume" (or something along those
lines). Audio adjustment seems to work different in Windows7. I am
not using the "line in" or "record" inputs on the MB.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 06:00 AM

Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following message:

From Device Manager, I see

-- USB controller, no driver found
-- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found

Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
printer--and they seem to work.

The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...


Bill wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Below is my basic configuration. It's a new machine:
>
> Window7-64 bit w/support for 32 bit apps.
> Logitech G5 Laser mouse (with tail)
> Intel 860 CPU
> GA-P55A-UD4P MB
> GV-NT98TSL Graphics (Geforce 9800GT, Silent-Cell, 1-GB)
> Corsair 750HX PSU
> Intel X25M SSD
>
>
> The machine is usually quiet until it plays audio (even if mute is on),
> say with Windows Media Center. Then there will often be some high-end
> organ like/whistling sounds in the background. Again, this is not audio,
> these sounds are coming out of the case. The offending noises can most
> easily demonstrated by scroll images, say at Google.com, and are also
> created while using the mouse with the Google SketchUp Program.
>
> I think the problem may be a little less offensive since I plugged my
> mouse into the front of the case instead of directly into the MB (back
> of the case), I'm not sure.
>
> Since the noises basically start following the use of audio, I thought
> that it might be an audio driver. I am using Realtek High Definition
> audio drivers that are dated 12/8/2009. According to Windows these
> drivers are up to date.
>
> I have tried several BIOS changes (disabling C1E, for instance), but am
> not having much success.
>
> I thought of buying a PCI USB card for my mouse, as, according to the
> schematic in the manual, the USB on the MB uses the PCI Express bus.
> But, if the GPU is causing the noises then this won't help.
>
> I'm running out of ideas...thank you for your thoughts or suggestions!
>
> Bill
>
> BTW, when something like this used to happen with an older system I had,
> I used to reduce the "recording volume" (or something along those
> lines). Audio adjustment seems to work different in Windows7. I am
> not using the "line in" or "record" inputs on the MB.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Bill wrote:
>
> Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following message:
>
> From Device Manager, I see
>
> -- USB controller, no driver found
> -- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found
>
> Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
> what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
> printer--and they seem to work.
>
> The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...
>


When you install, after Windows is finished installing, you can look
at your motherboard CD for drivers.

Adding chipset drivers, should allow resources in the chipset to be
recognized. That might include, for example, announcing the USB ports
to the system in such a way, that the built-in Windows USB drivers pick
them up.

The Marvell thing is probably on the motherboard CD as well.

*******

Whistling could come from:

1) Vcore regulator coils.
2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
3) Power supply coils.

Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
damp it out completely.

I've heard similar sounds here, only it will be the
"hissing" type, where there isn't a definite tone to the
sound. And that can come and go, be sensitive to displaying
images on the screen, and so on.

In terms of directionality, I've had poor luck with picking out
the exact item responsible for the sound. That to me, is the
main problem, the uncertainty about which source it might be.

In reading the reviews on Newegg for your power supply, a few people
mentioned the purchase of that supply, was to improve the noise
that was coming from a previous purchase. Something about their
previous supply, causing the video card to make noise.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Paul wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>>
>> Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following
>> message:
>>
>> From Device Manager, I see
>>
>> -- USB controller, no driver found
>> -- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found
>>
>> Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
>> what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
>> printer--and they seem to work.
>>
>> The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...
>>

>
> When you install, after Windows is finished installing, you can look
> at your motherboard CD for drivers.
>
> Adding chipset drivers, should allow resources in the chipset to be
> recognized. That might include, for example, announcing the USB ports
> to the system in such a way, that the built-in Windows USB drivers pick
> them up.
>
> The Marvell thing is probably on the motherboard CD as well.


You were right! The USB device was for USB 3.0 (which I didn't think I
needed yet) and the Marvell was for a driver I started to install and
didn't finish. I finished installing it and the Device Manager is happy.



>
> *******
>
> Whistling could come from:
>
> 1) Vcore regulator coils.
> 2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
> 3) Power supply coils.
>
> Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
> While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
> at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
> damp it out completely.
>
> I've heard similar sounds here, only it will be the
> "hissing" type, where there isn't a definite tone to the
> sound. And that can come and go, be sensitive to displaying
> images on the screen, and so on.
>
> In terms of directionality, I've had poor luck with picking out
> the exact item responsible for the sound. That to me, is the
> main problem, the uncertainty about which source it might be.


I'll keep searching for it.

>
> In reading the reviews on Newegg for your power supply, a few people
> mentioned the purchase of that supply, was to improve the noise
> that was coming from a previous purchase. Something about their
> previous supply, causing the video card to make noise.
>


I chose the PSU I did because of it's quality and especially because of
"low noise" performance. I don't think the PSU is making the noise, but
I can't say for sure yet. The problem seems to correspond more to the
GPU. Thank you for your help!


> Paul


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 11:23 AM

> Paul wrote:


>>
>> *******
>>
>> Whistling could come from:
>>
>> 1) Vcore regulator coils.
>> 2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
>> 3) Power supply coils.
>>
>> Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
>> While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
>> at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
>> damp it out completely.
>>



Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a PCI
slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the schematic
diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe Bus.

I'll get someone to create the noise for me, and I'll put my head in the
case and track down where it is coming from! Maybe I can literally
put my finger on it!

Thanks,
Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Bill wrote:
>

<<snip>>

> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a PCI
> slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the schematic
> diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe Bus.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill


I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
of power, is coming from the same place.

Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.

I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
a cheesy single phase converter).

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Paul wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>>

> <<snip>>
>
>> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a
>> PCI slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the
>> schematic diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe
>> Bus.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill

>
> I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
> A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
> reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
> of power, is coming from the same place.
>
> Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
> is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
>
> I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
> dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
> can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
> video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
> gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
> a cheesy single phase converter).
>
> Paul



Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
analysis. Thanks for your help!

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Bill wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Below is my basic configuration. It's a new machine:
>
> Window7-64 bit w/support for 32 bit apps.
> Logitech G5 Laser mouse (with tail)
> Intel 860 CPU
> GA-P55A-UD4P MB
> GV-NT98TSL Graphics (Geforce 9800GT, Silent-Cell, 1-GB)
> Corsair 750HX PSU
> Intel X25M SSD
>
>
> The machine is usually quiet until it plays audio (even if mute is on),
> say with Windows Media Center. Then there will often be some high-end
> organ like/whistling sounds in the background. Again, this is not audio,
> these sounds are coming out of the case. The offending noises can most
> easily demonstrated by scroll images, say at Google.com, and are also
> created while using the mouse with the Google SketchUp Program.


FWIW, I swapped my GPU with another fanless Gigabyte GPU (7600GT) I own,
and the problem persists. It's really like a roller-coaster as far as
the intensity or the noises created. It occurs whenever the computer has
to do something that "challenges it" at all (such as start-up),
scrolling, etc. I expect you are correct about the capacitors on the MB
being the culprit. Thanks.

Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
tanstafl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:27:55 -0400, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>>

>> <<snip>>
>>
>>> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a
>>> PCI slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the
>>> schematic diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe
>>> Bus.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill

>>
>> I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
>> A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
>> reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
>> of power, is coming from the same place.
>>
>> Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
>> is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
>>
>> I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
>> dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
>> can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
>> video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
>> gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
>> a cheesy single phase converter).
>>
>> Paul

>
>
>Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
>the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
>while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
>analysis. Thanks for your help!
>
>Bill


Bill, stick it in your ear ol' chap! 'Tis one of the few times in
polite society you can offer that exhortation in a friendly manner
Get a long shafted screwdriver, stick the handle in your ear and probe
various spots to track down the sound source. 1st wrap the shaft with
electrical tape for safety. It often (not always) works pretty well
in localizing a sound.

You must have a teeny head or a whale of a case to execute your plan
of putting your head inside the case.

If you probe on an inductor or other mobo components, it would be a
good idea to put a small piece of tape on the blade to avoid creating
novel circuits in case the screwdriver slips.
----
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
tanstafl wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:27:55 -0400, Bill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Bill wrote:
>>>>
>>> <<snip>>
>>>
>>>> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a
>>>> PCI slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the
>>>> schematic diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe
>>>> Bus.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Bill
>>>
>>> I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
>>> A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
>>> reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
>>> of power, is coming from the same place.
>>>
>>> Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
>>> is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
>>>
>>> I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
>>> dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
>>> can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
>>> video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
>>> gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
>>> a cheesy single phase converter).
>>>
>>> Paul

>>
>>
>> Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
>> the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
>> while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
>> analysis. Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Bill

>
> Bill, stick it in your ear ol' chap! 'Tis one of the few times in
> polite society you can offer that exhortation in a friendly manner
> Get a long shafted screwdriver, stick the handle in your ear and probe
> various spots to track down the sound source. 1st wrap the shaft with
> electrical tape for safety. It often (not always) works pretty well
> in localizing a sound.
>
> You must have a teeny head or a whale of a case to execute your plan
> of putting your head inside the case.
>
> If you probe on an inductor or other mobo components, it would be a
> good idea to put a small piece of tape on the blade to avoid creating
> novel circuits in case the screwdriver slips.
> ----
> Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
> Have the best day possible - all things considered


Thank you for the idea! I was wondering how to track the source better!
I can't shrink my head or enlarge my case, but I have a pretty long
screwdriver. Last time I looked into the case I was pondering getting
my hair caught in the case fan!

Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squeakin, whistling noise from motherboard MA78G-DS3H franz47 Gigabyte 8 02-22-2010 09:39 PM
Docking Station PA286 whistling Nicolas Nasdrovisky HP 0 09-01-2006 09:41 AM
Opinions Please; especially noise level p00lb0y Nvidia 1 08-23-2004 04:54 PM
Inspiron 4000 buzzing/whistling fron under keyboard JJ Dell 6 06-02-2004 09:13 AM
Re: "whistling" condenser on SHUTTLE SB61G2 (FB61) John Ross Shuttle 0 09-08-2003 01:50 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment