Why does ATI MMC show recorded MP4 as AVI?

Jeff

Question for the experts here.

As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
for portable devices as MP4 feature.

I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
extention, why is that?

TIA

Jeff

xmradio

news:spOdnZFNRswlCDXZnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@velocitywest .net...
> Question for the experts here.
>
> As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
> for portable devices as MP4 feature.
>
> I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
> window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
> extention, why is that?
>
> TIA
>
> Jeff

it is still a mp4 file...when you record to divx using ati stuff, the
extension is avi too.

xman

Jeff

"xmradio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:spOdnZFNRswlCDXZnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@velocitywest .net...
>> Question for the experts here.
>>
>> As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
>> for portable devices as MP4 feature.
>>
>> I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
>> window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
>> extention, why is that?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Jeff

> it is still a mp4 file...when you record to divx using ati stuff, the
> extension is avi too.
>
> xman

So is there a way to make ipod video compliant files while using MMC to
recors so no later transcoding is required?

jeff

First of One

That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded in
MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.

What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it play
properly on your iPod?

news:spOdnZFNRswlCDXZnZ2dnUVZ_tidnZ2d@velocitywest .net...
> Question for the experts here.
>
> As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
> for portable devices as MP4 feature.
>
> I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
> window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
> extention, why is that?

Jeff

"First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded
> in MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.
>
> What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it play

Not recognizeable or importable into the ipod library even after renaming it

jeff

Ken Maltby

news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded
>> in MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.
>>
>> What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it
>> play

> Not recognizeable or importable into the ipod library even after renaming
> it
>
> jeff

Unfortunately there are several flavors of MP4, and the IPod uses one
of its own. Most of the H264 encoders I've been checking out provide
an option to encode to be compatible to a number of standards and
devices, including one for IPod.

You might try the Elecard Mobile Converter (or the new TMPGEnc 4.0
XPress, if you need an all purpose encoder) The free Super(c) can work
also.

You might also Google for and try the "AIT Avivo Video Converter 1.12"
It is super fast but I don't know if the results will be Ipod compatible.
If you know how to use GraphEdit you can get to the encoder's property
page and may be able to set it there.

Luck;
Ken