why mb support athlon xp 1800+ but not 1900+ ??

spoon2001

I am thinking about upgrading the CPU on an old MB (with PC 133 DIMMs, 2x
AGP, which enables me to use old ATI All-in-Wonder too, which I can't use on
more modern MBs.)

Anyway, the MB manufacturer says the top CPU that my MB will support is the
Athlon XP 1800+, but not the 1900+:

http://tinyurl.com/47hky

This seems strange because both are 0.18 micron CPUs designed for 133/266
FSB.

Any idea why this would be? Any significant differences between the CPUs?

Wes Newell

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:16:19 -0500, spoon2001 wrote:

> I am thinking about upgrading the CPU on an old MB (with PC 133 DIMMs, 2x
> AGP, which enables me to use old ATI All-in-Wonder too, which I can't use on
> more modern MBs.)
>
> Anyway, the MB manufacturer says the top CPU that my MB will support is the
> Athlon XP 1800+, but not the 1900+:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/47hky

And Abit says that my old KT7 board wouldn't run any XP. Now see my sig
line.:-)

> This seems strange because both are 0.18 micron CPUs designed for
> 133/266 FSB.
>
> Any idea why this would be?

Because that's what they wanted to say?

> Any significant differences between the CPUs?

May be a slight more power consumption at 100% load, but that's about it.
Now a newer Tbred B core 1900+ would draw less power. I don't know how
close this board is to the MSI K7TPro (KT133 chipset), the first spcket A
board they built I think, but I put a Tbred B core 2100+ in it without
any problem and even raised the multiplier to 22x for 22x100 (2200MHz).
You might want to consider reading some of the link below.