Why is my T43 so slow (RAM?)

Angelo Campanella

These days, after almost 2 years of continuous use, my T43 is very
slowwwww to load apps such as word and excel files, etc, etc. The hard
drive light is ON for seconds at a time before the work page displays.
I suspect that it is the volatile memory being filled, obliges work to
swap to and be recovered from the HD. I have 1 Gig of RAM... Do I need 2
gigs? I frequently observe the Task Manager Performance to see (at the
moment) 522M of Physical memory with 35M available and 107 M in "system
cache". Is this symptomatic?

I don't think it's the display memory, though it might. I thought that
that shortfall is evident by may black spaces erupting when its changing
apps, which I have experienced on a few occasions.

Please Advise.

Angelo Campanella

Ernie B.

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:28:19 GMT Angelo Campanella wrote:

> These days, after almost 2 years of continuous use, my T43 is very
> slowwwww to load apps such as word and excel files, etc, etc. The hard
> drive light is ON for seconds at a time before the work page displays.
> I suspect that it is the volatile memory being filled, obliges work to
> swap to and be recovered from the HD. I have 1 Gig of RAM... Do I need 2
> gigs? I frequently observe the Task Manager Performance to see (at the
> moment) 522M of Physical memory with 35M available and 107 M in "system
> cache". Is this symptomatic?
>
> I don't think it's the display memory, though it might. I thought that
> that shortfall is evident by may black spaces erupting when its changing
> apps, which I have experienced on a few occasions.
>
> Please Advise.
>
> Angelo Campanella

You don't mention your operating system, I suppose some version of Windows. I
suppose that you have an anti-virus? If not, I suggest Avast,

Your symptoms are typical of being choked with spyware. I would suggest
downloading, installing, updating and running the following:

Superantispyware, <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
Spybot Search & Destroy, <http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html>
Malwarebytes <http://www.malwarebytes.org/>

All of these are free to download.

Good luck.
--
Ernie B.

Communication: The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.

Re: T43 very slow loading Acrobat and any acrobat PDF files...sometimes up to a minute wait (Cache problem?) Angelo Campanella IBM Thinkpad 4 12-03-2012 01:30 AM
IBM T43 very slow loading Acrobat and any acrobat PDF files...sometimes up to a minute wait (Cache problem?) Angelo Campanella IBM Thinkpad 1 03-17-2011 05:00 PM
Why is my T43 now so slow (RAM?) Angelo Campanella IBM Thinkpad 3 12-14-2008 08:59 AM
Why, why, why... ATI? /mel/ ATI 17 01-21-2005 06:26 PM
TC1100 - SP2 - SLOW SLOW SLOW! Stef Tablet PC 10 09-13-2004 09:53 AM