Wierd USB problem with Fire Dragon

BigSky

I just rebuilt my Fire Dragon with Win XP Home. Everything seems to be
working fine. However, whenever I plug in my SanDisk Cruzer mini 1GB into
either the front or rear USB ports, Win will reboot. Even happens when I
plug it into my PCI USB 2.0 add on card. I removed my other USB devices,
removed and reinstalled the appropriate USB host drivers, installed the
proper chipset INF file, and still have the problem. I saw this same thing
happen once on a ECS motherboard running Win2000Pro and a VIA chipset. I'm
at a loss of where to proceed. Won't reboot with the cruizer installed
either. Just keeps rebooting.

I searched the web for help and tried a few tips but still no good. Any
ideas or experience with same on this motherboard or perhaps the i845D
chipset?

BigSky

Custom Computers

If you ask me it would seem due to the amout of posts I've seen to be
the SanDisk Cruzer. Seen this very problem on Asus boards, Soyo boards
and even Gigabyte. All with the same SanDisk Cruzer 1GB unit.

BigSky

Thanks. I called SanDisk and they acknowledged that this mini Cruzer will
not work with a very small number of computers. They don't know why. Could
be one of many things. They won't replace the Cruzer under warranty unless
it doesn't work in more than one computer.

Seems strange that it won't work in the add in PCI USB 2.0 card as well.
Must be a motherboard or WinXP issue.

"Custom Computers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> If you ask me it would seem due to the amout of posts I've seen to be
> the SanDisk Cruzer. Seen this very problem on Asus boards, Soyo boards
> and even Gigabyte. All with the same SanDisk Cruzer 1GB unit.

BigSky

Crap. I have the same problem with my USB ports again. Whether I plug a
USB memory stick into the motherboard ports or the add in USB 2.0 PCI card,
WinXP Home will show a dialog box that its recognized the device, give a
beep, and then the system reboots. Several calls to Microsoft seemed to
indicate that the driver for my camera was causing the problem. After
removing the driver, I still have the same problem. I didn't have this
before I rebuilt the system using the same XP Home disk. Any ideas?
Doesn't seem to matter which manufacturer of memory stick I try or whether
its USB 1.0 or USB 2.0. Please help!!!

Big Sky