WiFi on a dv6000

Bob Villa

Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
The wireless switch has no effect.

Thanks for any ideas,
Bob

Ben Myers

On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
> Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
> PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
> Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
> The wireless switch has no effect.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Bob

Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!

Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
later I think.

I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

On May 25, 7:02*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>
> > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. *I replaced the
> > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
> > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
> > The wireless switch has no effect.

> > Thanks for any ideas,
> > Bob

> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
>
> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? *Sometimes the
> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. *But if
> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
>
> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
>
> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
> distro to test the card. *But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
>
> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
> card drivers won't install. *After all, it is Windows!
>
> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? *Had a problem once
> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
> later I think.
>
> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben, you've given me a lot to work on...I will check back!

Bob Villa

On May 25, 7:02*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>
> > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. *I replaced the
> > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
> > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
> > The wireless switch has no effect.

> > Thanks for any ideas,
> > Bob

> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
>
> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? *Sometimes the
> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. *But if
> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
>
> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
>
> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
> distro to test the card. *But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
>
> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
> card drivers won't install. *After all, it is Windows!
>
> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? *Had a problem once
> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
> later I think.
>
> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. So they are "ben"ding a little!

bob

Ben Myers

On 5/26/2010 7:13 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>>
>>> Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
>>> PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
>>> Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
>>> The wireless switch has no effect.

>>> Thanks for any ideas,
>>> Bob

>> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
>>
>> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
>> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
>> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
>>
>> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
>> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
>>
>> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
>> distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
>> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
>>
>> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
>> card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!
>>
>> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
>> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
>> later I think.
>>
>> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

> Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
> Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. So they are "ben"ding a little!
>
> bob

Dell has been using Broadcom mini-PCI wifi cards for many years. I've
found them inside Inspiron 5100s, for example... Ben

Bob Villa

On May 26, 8:20*am, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/26/2010 7:13 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

> >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

> >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? *Sometimes the
> >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. *But if
> >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

> >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
> >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

> >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
> >> distro to test the card. *But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
> >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

> >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
> >> card drivers won't install. *After all, it is Windows!

> >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? *Had a problem once
> >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
> >> later I think.

> >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

> > Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
> > Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. *So they are "ben"ding a little!

> > bob

> Dell has been using Broadcom mini-PCI wifi cards for many years. *I've
> found them inside Inspiron 5100s, for example... Ben

My point being BroadCom/Linux.

Bob Villa

On May 25, 7:02*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>
> > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. *I replaced the
> > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
> > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
> > The wireless switch has no effect.

> > Thanks for any ideas,
> > Bob

> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
>
> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? *Sometimes the
> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. *But if
> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
>
> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
>
> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
> distro to test the card. *But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
>
> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
> card drivers won't install. *After all, it is Windows!
>
> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? *Had a problem once
> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
> later I think.
>
> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
try...but it doesn't look good.
This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
solve my problems!).
Thanks,
bob

Ben Myers

On 5/27/2010 6:09 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
>>
>>> Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
>>> PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
>>> Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
>>> The wireless switch has no effect.

>>> Thanks for any ideas,
>>> Bob

>> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
>>
>> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
>> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
>> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
>>
>> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
>> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
>>
>> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
>> distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
>> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
>>
>> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
>> card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!
>>
>> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
>> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
>> later I think.
>>
>> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

> The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
> and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
> try...but it doesn't look good.
> This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
> would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
> solve my problems!).
> Thanks,
> bob

There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. Actually,
several. Reliable drivers. For lots of operating systems. Good wifi
range.

Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? ... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

On May 27, 8:03*pm, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/27/2010 6:09 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

> >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

> >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? *Sometimes the
> >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. *But if
> >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

> >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
> >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

> >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
> >> distro to test the card. *But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
> >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

> >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
> >> card drivers won't install. *After all, it is Windows!

> >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? *Had a problem once
> >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
> >> later I think.

> >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

> > The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). *I tried Ubuntu DVD
> > and it does find any WiFi hardware. *I have not found drivers yet to
> > try...but it doesn't look good.
> > This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
> > would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
> > solve my problems!).
> > Thanks,
> > bob

> There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. *Actually,
> several. *Reliable drivers. *For lots of operating systems. *Good wifi
> range.
>
> Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? *... Ben Myers

I think I put my time in this one...just going to tell her to use a
WiFi dongle and be done with it.
But thanks much for your time, Ben!
bob

Ben Myers

On 5/28/2010 7:12 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
> On May 27, 8:03 pm, Ben Myers<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
>>> and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
>>> try...but it doesn't look good.
>>> This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
>>> would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
>>> solve my problems!).
>>> Thanks,
>>> bob

>> There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. Actually,
>> several. Reliable drivers. For lots of operating systems. Good wifi
>> range.
>>
>> Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? ... Ben Myers

> I think I put my time in this one...just going to tell her to use a
> WiFi dongle and be done with it.
> But thanks much for your time, Ben!
> bob

A wifi dongle is an easier solution than replacing an internal card.
Might be less expensive these days, too... Ben Myers